Luca Badoer topped the timesheets on the opening day of testing at Barcelona.
The Ferrari test driver lapped the Circuit de Catalunya in 1m 22.412 in the morning session and was unrivaled for the top spot in the afternoon. Few drivers elected to post a time in the final hour after rain hit the Spanish track.
Robert Kubica overcame a mechanical problem in the morning and went on to post the second quickest time, two tenths of a second behind Badoer.
David Coulthard and Sebastien Buemi were third and fourth, the Red Bull Racing duo sharing a single RB4 over the course of the day.
Gary Paffett was at the helm for McLaren and ended the day fifth fastest ahead of Anthony Davidson who made his return to testing duties for Honda
Renault protÃ©gÃ© and GP2 ace Romain Grosjean had his first full day behind the wheel of the Renault R28 and wound up eighth fastest, behind Williams’ Nico Hulkenberg and ahead of Toyota’s Kamui Kobayashi.
Pos Driver Car Time Laps
1. Badoer Ferrari (B) 1:22.412 82
2. Kubica BMW Sauber (B) 1:22.682 69
3. Coulthard Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:22.724 21
4. Buemi Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:22.764 79
5. Paffett McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:22.938 36
6. Davidson Honda (B) 1:23.208 81
7. Hulkenberg Williams-Toyota (B) 1:23.619 112
8. Grosjean Renault (B) 1:23.899 60
9. Kobayashi Toyota (B) 1:24.442 82</pre>