Nick Heidfeld and Jenson Button topped the timesheets today as they hit the track on slick tyres at Jerez.
Despite predictions that running on slick tyres would improve lap times by around 2 seconds a lap, the pair on slicks were just over half a second ahead of Pedro de la Rosa on the standard grooved tyres.
It was the first time that Kimi Raikkonen had been behind the wheel of an F1 car since winning the 2007 drivers championship and he managed the fourth best time of the day. Marc Gene was in the sister Ferrari and he could only manage ninth place.
James Rossiter was the only other driver to run on slicks and he managed the twelfth best time for Super Aguri. Timo Glock was in the Toyota for the first time and managed 13th place, just ahead of Giancarlo Fisichella who was testing for the Force India team. Fisichella who is on the lookout for a 2008 race seat – did not have a good start to the day, spinning off the track. Thankfully he did no damage to the car and was able to continue with the test.
Nico Hulkenberg took his first trip out in the Williams the youngster is currently being evaluated by Williams as they look for a test and reserve driver for the 2008 season.
Unofficial Jerez testing times (4 December 2007)
Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Heidfeld BMW-Sauber 1:19.042 73
2. Button Honda 1:19.155 65
3. de la Rosa McLaren-Mercedes 1:19.712 48
4. Raikkonen Ferrari 1:20.083 73
5. Piquet Renault 1:20.366 66
6. Bourdais Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:20.615 97
7. Paffett McLaren-Mercedes 1:20.638 50
8. Webber Red Bull-Renault 1:20.682 65
9. Gene Ferrari 1:20.832 67
10. Conway Super Aguri-Honda 1:20.927 87
11. Vettel Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:21.086 45
12. Rossiter Super Aguri-Honda 1:21.246 71
13. Glock Toyota 1:21.336 69
14. Fisichella Force India-Ferrari 1:21.424 41
15. Hulkenberg Williams-Toyota 1:21.556 28
16. Montagny Force India-Ferrari 1:21.559 65
17. Nakajima Williams-Toyota 1:21.586 33
18. Asmer BMW-Sauber 1:21.962 57
19. Kobayashi Toyota 1:22.186 111
20. Villa BMW-Sauber 1:23.583 53