Damon Hill has backed Bahrain as the island Kingdom returns to the F1 calendar this year.
After last year’s race was cancelled, the 1996 world champion travelled to Bahrain with FIA president Jean Todt and afterwards said he supports the decision to give the Sakhir circuit its April 22 date for 2012. However, as some clashes between protesters and police are still taking place, there are some who believe strongly that Bahrain is not ready to host F1 again.
The teams are mainly quiet, but Red Bull’s Christian Horner said last week that, “As far as I’m aware, we’re definitely going. As of today there’s a race committed to Bahrain and we’ll be there.”
Telegraph correspondent Tom Cary added: “I have decided I will be going to Bahrain if the race goes ahead.”
Briton Hill, the winner of 22 grands prix, thinks Horner and Cary are right.
“Everyone wants things to move in the right direction in Bahrain,” he is quoted by The Sun. “The grand prix is of huge economic importance to Bahrain. You’d almost be putting an economic sanction on Bahrain by pulling the race.”