FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For computing and gaming discussion (incl. batracer)
By texasmr2
My 2Wire modem crashed after barely one month of use so I had our 'puter guy, he does all the county's systems, look at it and it was the modem. I was told he also sells equipment so I enquired about a new 'puter. What I recieved for my $300 is a Systemax 'Venture' with DVD/CD player/burner, which I did not have before, along with Windows 7 'Ultimate' aswell as an Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz with 1GB of RAM and a 32-bit operating system.

This 'puter is head and shoulders above what I had previously, a Dell Deminsions 2400 w/only an updated hard drive, and daym I think I got one hell of a deal, what do ya think? Remember I'm not anywhere as 'puter savvy as everyone else here but I'm happier than a pig in slop to say the least, heck the Windows 7 Ultimate is $220/US just by itself.

Could tex finally be crawling out from under his 'techno' rock :hehe: ?
Wow - how could you have been a mod with that piece of junk? :hehe::whip:

It sounds like a fantastic deal - still sounds like an outdated model by a long stretch, however - you don't sound like the type of guy who'd care about that.

So well done. :thumbup:
Wow - how could you have been a mod with that piece of junk? :hehe::whip:

Yes 75% of my 'ban' request were denied :rolleyes::hehe: , must have been the system :whip: ?

It sounds like a fantastic deal - still sounds like an outdated model by a long stretch, however - you don't sound like the type of guy who'd care about that.

Your right about that sir. One thing I learned when I was a copier tech and the technology was booming was that the 'internals' are what makes what some deem as outdated just as good as the current technology needs of the user. Yes I could not pass up the deal and as long as this 'ignorant consumer' is satisfied the market is more stabile :hehe: .

So well done. :thumbup:

Baby steps because I do not want my firearm to "accidently discharge" :D .
Sounds like a reasonable system for the money; although I'd recommend a further 1GB of RAM to boost performance in Win 7 Ultimate; you're not going to get the full benefit of Windows 7 without at least 2GB of RAM, but the good news is that RAM is fairly cheap right now! Welcome to the 21st century Tex :)
I was about to say the same - Windows 7 will be a bit sluggish with only 1GB of RAM - but easy enough to plug in some more if you have a slot.
Sounds like a reasonable system for the money; although I'd recommend a further 1GB of RAM to boost performance in Win 7 Ultimate; you're not going to get the full benefit of Windows 7 without at least 2GB of RAM, but the good news is that RAM is fairly cheap right now! Welcome to the 21st century Tex :)

Happy to have finally landed :D !

I was about to say the same - Windows 7 will be a bit sluggish with only 1GB of RAM - but easy enough to plug in some more if you have a slot.

:)

Thanks for the info and I will check with my computer guy about this aswell. My only question would be if I really need the upgrade. Since I do not use 90% if not more of the apps offered by Windows 7 would it just be a good upgrade for when I do start learning more?
In my experience; Windows Vista and Windows 7 running with 1GB of RAM usually is pretty sluggish; but I have very high standards when it comes to computer performance. If it works for you with 1GB of RAM; stick with it :) But you will notice a big increase in performance in Windows 7 with more RAM; programs opening faster; even the Internet will seem faster in general, especially when using web technologies like Web2.0; most websites created by Google us this and Flash based websites.
In my experience; Windows Vista and Windows 7 running with 1GB of RAM usually is pretty sluggish; but I have very high standards when it comes to computer performance. If it works for you with 1GB of RAM; stick with it :) But you will notice a big increase in performance in Windows 7 with more RAM; programs opening faster; even the Internet will seem faster in general, especially when using web technologies like Web2.0; most websites created by Google us this and Flash based websites.

So in laymens terms 'faster P O R N' :clap::drink::hehe: ???

Yes... faster videos in general, but definitely *censored*, if Internet Explorer decides to let you view the site!!! Remember big brother is watching ;)

Scary...
Remember big brother is watching ;)

Yes :yes: and it is nice to be the 'big brother' and I can see that you have been a very naughty boy :D !!!

I know it's true but it always makes me laugh when I hear stuff like 'your OS will work better with 2Gb of RAM'

I know it's true but it always makes me laugh when I hear stuff like 'your OS will work better with 2Gb of RAM'

As a general rule; the more RAM you have the better any system performance because the system does not require use the pagefile or swapfile (hard disk space) as much! RAM will always perform much faster than any hard disk. The minimum spec for Windows 7 is 1GB of RAM; generally minimum means exactly that, enough to make it functional.

Yes... faster videos in general, but definitely *censored*, if Internet Explorer decides to let you view the site!!! Remember big brother is watching ;)

Tex knows very well that when the Patriot Act was passed under the Bush administration... when you're online watching some bush, Bush is watching you.

Tex knows very well that when the Patriot Act was passed under the Bush administration... when you're online watching some bush, Bush is watching you.

Which reminds me of this:
I'm digressing; back on topic... more RAM, more bush!!!

See our F1 related articles too!