FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss your own car, automotive news and latest supercar launches.
By texasmr2
I have seen a Raptor up close and personal so I thinks it's just the truck unless you have a big head :wink: .
By stonemonkey
Nope, not a fat American joke Stig but if I did have an enormous noggin Tex then the Raptor would be ideal.
Over on ESPN. The producers could have simply read our thread :)

The multi award-winning BBC show Top Gear is watched across the world but, as the presenters often comment, it's not widely shown in the USA for a variety of legal/taste reasons. But now a US version is halfway through a ten-show run and the jury is out on whether it is a success of not.

Audiences have been stable around the 1.2 million mark after attracting two million for the first show - a far cry from the 6.6 who tuned in for the BBC original's Christmas special on December 26 - although analysts are concerned it is failing to hold on viewers from the preceding programme.

Jane Tranter of BBC Worldwide, who are making the programmes on behalf of the History Channel, said: "Together we have worked to tailor the format for the American audience, while staying true to the original dynamic that fans across the world have come to love."

While wanting to ape what the BBC itself describes as the "laddish antics and irreverent humour are such a big part of its appeal" - many of the familiar features have been carried over, such as Star in a Reasonably Priced Car (renamed Big Star), and the Stig also makes appearances - producers have had to adapt for the local market, and that has met with a mixed response.

We asked our US-based readers on our Facebook page to give their opinion of the American version and the feedback was almost unanimously negative, with the biggest area of concern the three presenters, racing driver Tanner Foust, Speed channel reporter Rutledge Wood and comedian/actor Adam Ferrara.

"For those who have not seen the England version, it may be alright, but the dialogue between the US version guys is simply not entertaining or funny," one wrote, while another added: "No enthusiasm, forced, not funny, not imaginative, very scripted, sorry but it is horrible"

I don't see why you'd want a group of sort of bad-teethed Brits coming and telling you about your own car culture
John Hesling, the show's producer

British-born, LA-based John Hesling, the show's producer, has defended his choice of the trio. "They got on with each other very, very well. There's that immediate kind of X Factor. These guys seem to chat like they've known each other for a long, long time. I don't see why you'd want a group of sort of bad-teethed Brits coming and telling you about your own car culture."

There have also been concerns expressed that the show is funded by advertising, largely from the motor industry, which they claim limit the amount of openness when reviewing or commenting on cars. Self-proclaimed car fanatic Jay Leno turned down an offer to front an earlier pilot for the NBC channel for this reason. "My great fear in America is that, for instance, if Kia was our sponsor this week, we'd have to say the car was fantastic," he wrote in the Sunday Times.

Actor and racing driver Bruno Massel, who ended up fronting the earlier NBC pilot, echoed those fears when he said: "You didn't want to insult anybody or put a product down, there was a concern about alienating the companies."

Producers can take heart from Australia, where a local version of the show was met with withering criticism when launched in 2008, but after making changes the programme has now completed three series and is attracting good audiences. However, a Russian Top Gear was scrapped after half a series in 2009.
By The_Stig_Money
The new episode was good, trucking through the alaskan wilderness in "tough" trucks (a real american pass time). I saw the monster jam event (monster trucks) the next day.

I own a domestic truck and i would take the toyota over any of those other trucks, sad but true.

The presenters are becoming more comfortable with there banter, and Adam Ferrari had me cracking up.

The next episode is a "best of top gear". The best of 5 shows i guess.
The new episode was good, trucking through the alaskan wilderness in "tough" trucks (a real american pass time). I saw the monster jam event (monster trucks) the next day.

I own a domestic truck and i would take the toyota over any of those other trucks, sad but true.

The presenters are becoming more comfortable with there banter, and Adam Ferrari had me cracking up.

The next episode is a "best of top gear". The best of 5 shows i guess.

I haven't kept up with them since before the holiday... the moonshine episode was the best one I've watched. It was the only one that's I've caught myself laughing out loud in. Maybe it's time to hit the on demand history channel and check out the one's I've missed.
By Fred_C_Dobbs
...British-born, LA-based John Hesling, the show's producer, has defended his choice of the trio....

So now we know who's to blame.

The most recent episode was dedicated entirely to the challenge, which was a hodgepodge of the race across the Amazon show, the build your own motor home show, and the race to the North Pole show.

The lack of originality is breathtaking, not to mention an insight to the greater problem.
...British-born, LA-based John Hesling, the show's producer, has defended his choice of the trio....

So now we know who's to blame.

The most recent episode was dedicated entirely to the challenge, which was a hodgepodge of the race across the Amazon show, the build your own motor home show, and the race to the North Pole show.

The lack of originality is breathtaking, not to mention an insight to the greater problem.

You may be on to something... since the episode that was the most original and consequently made me laugh most was the decidedly American moonshine runners.
So now they apparently have enlisted James May in promoting the American show. Unfortunately, Jame's article in the Telegraph has more laughs than all six US episodes to date.

Top Gear US: why I hate the presenters already

Not for a second do I doubt that James May wrote that. I don't have the same feeling for any of the current hosts. The only one that I've grown to have hope for is Rutledge Wood, coincidentally, the only writer.
By texasmr2
RW was a perfect choice imho for a host. He is personable, funny as all get out and frankly just a 'people person'.
RW was a perfect choice imho for a host. He is personable, funny as all get out and frankly just a 'people person'.

I hope he sticks around as well!

We've got three extremely funny, the epitome of a car guy choices (Jerry Seinfeld, David Letterman, Jay Leno) that would have instantly transformed the show into a hit. I think I read somewhere that Leno turned it down. I would have also tried for someone like Billy Joel, he's a big time gear head on the motorcycle front... ultimately TG is about making you fall in love with the dynamics of the hosts, and it hasn't happened with this trio.

See our F1 related articles too!