FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss your own car, automotive news and latest supercar launches.
That is pretty cool, but as a music purist I believe that is way too much for such a small space... unless you're creating a home theatre application then two speaker and a subwoofer is all you need but that's just me.... I always turn the fader to the front two speakers only in my car!
I agree with you, if we're talking about home speakers but in a vehicle the environment is so much harsher. I'm sure there is a ton of processing and circuitry going on there to makes all of those speakers do one thing, make you audibly unable to point to where the sound it coming from because you're immersed in it.

OEM audio has actually come quite a long way from the 80's when I fist put a dual coil subwoofer in my GTI and spent the next week finding and isolating sources of rattles in the car.
I would have to hear it for myself to judge whether it'd be better to have surround high end sound, 5-8Khz+ is where the sound gets seriously directional so unless it has spectacular processing it would get messy. As someone that worked with multi-speaker, multi-amplifier professional PA systems for over six years before moving to the states; two distinct speaker stacks is better than multiple stacks and the issue of sound cancellation coming into play. I've not really played with car audio with the exception of adding an active subwoofer so I could be wrong, never tried multi point surround sound in a car before...
I'd love the opportunity to hear it for myself as well.

I can't call my myself an audiophile because I'm too poor for the title, and not gullible enough to spend $300 for gold plated contacts in an electrical outlet. The thing with car audio tends to be speaker placement. Unlike in setting up a room where you can choose where the speakers go first, a car's audio system tend to be an afterthought. So when you get a manufacturer that really thinks about speaker placement and line of sight and optimizing volume for a decent bass enclose it makes a world of difference.

I had never owned a car with a front center channel speaker and I stopped doing automotive stereo installations in the early 90s before the days of center channels. It makes a ton of difference in the staging and presence in the car even in an OEM setup.
I wonder if they were bang & oulfsen ones so all 62 speakers simultaneously rise up in front of you!

See our F1 related articles too!