Car 70/30%
24%
Driver 60/40%
8%
Car 60/40%
16%
Driver & Car 50/50
13%
If you exclude races and just look at qualifying the difference is greater.

Yeah, but Q is only part of the driver's package. Look at Jenson in Canada... vs. look at Montoya.
20% Driver 80% Car. Maybe even a higher percentage to the car.

If you put an Alonso or a Hamilton in a Hispania they'd still be near or at the back wouldn't they?

It's hard to put a number down because there is some wiggle room. But your point here is the the way to test this. Put Chandhok in a Red Bull and see what his Qualifying time is, and put Vettle in an HRT and see what his qualifying time is.

I believe the sweet spot is going to be the driver can impact around 30% of the outcome the rest is all car.

I disagree, i don't think it's anywhere near 30%. Especially considering that car characteristics can radically alter a driver's ability to perform (ie, does the car suit a driver's style).
I disagree, i don't think it's anywhere near 30%. Especially considering that car characteristics can radically alter a driver's ability to perform (ie, does the car suit a driver's style).

But a good driver driver should be able to adapt his driving style to suit the car, that is what Michael Schumacher used to be great at doing!!!

But a good driver driver should be able to adapt his driving style to suit the car, that is what Michael Schumacher used to be great at doing!!!

Indeed, but the need to adapt and basically compromise is surely just another indicator of how much more important the car is...

hmmmm not really. It took a while to make the Ferrari a winning monster. What he did was more adapting the car to him, than viceversa.

So, over a couple of seasons, yes; a great driver can adapt his style to get that small bit of extra...
In a 'particular' race (ie getting a great result in a so-so car), yes.

Another example: Fisichella in Spa. Was it HIM getting the almost win? or was it Spa favouring his car?
Maybe the Vettel Monza win with Toro Rosso... perhaps a bit of both... maybe that was a good deal of driver. But in average Vettel couldnt get much out of his car that yr anyway.
Another example: Fisichella in Spa. Was it HIM getting the almost win? or was it Spa favouring his car?

Yeah, i was just about to use that exact example myself. :yes: Cause the Force India's were quick again at Monza, then struggled badly in races after.
I'm not saying that the car isn't the most important aspect but a good driver can make the difference between 1st and 5th on the grid, the best drivers are the best because they can push the car to the limit and sometimes beyond that limit to get a result. Yes some tracks would suit certain cars but at the same car could someone like Chandhock match Lewis Hamilton in a McLaren for example? or vice versa, Hamilton in a HRT; Hamilton would probably be streets ahead of Chandhok! I would say a few years ago when driving aids were rife I would have said it was mostly the car but now a lot of those driver aids have disappeared, the driver makes a huge difference!
I'm not saying that the car isn't the most important aspect but a good driver can make the difference between 1st and 5th on the grid, the best drivers are the best because they can push the car to the limit and sometimes beyond that limit to get a result. Yes some tracks would suit certain cars but at the same car could someone like Chandhock match Lewis Hamilton in a McLaren for example? or vice versa, Hamilton in a HRT; Hamilton would probably be streets ahead of Chandhok! I would say a few years ago when driving aids were rife I would have said it was mostly the car but now a lot of those driver aids have disappeared, the driver makes a huge difference!

STOP copying me... I used the Chandhok and Lewis example first. :)

I think there is no argument that a car is more important, but to what degree. So the best drivers will extract every possible ounce of speed from a car but you can't extract the speed that just isn't there, therefor the "I'm a driver not a magician comment from Trulli.

Maybe someone should write to Top Gear and suggest it as a topic for next season's show.
Maybe someone should write to Top Gear and suggest it as a topic for next season's show.

Not if you want an unbiased opinion :wink: .

Will Jeremy manage to call all Americans fat during that segment too?

Probably so which shows his ignorance and bias, he needs to watch 'You Are What You Eat' on the BBC:yes: .

Probably so which shows his ignorance and bias, he needs to watch 'You Are What You Eat' on the BBC:yes: .

Jermey is a Legend.
Clarkson is great... How dare you speak that way about him.

:P

With regards to the question at hand, I had to put the car way up there in the percentage. Put Webber in the Mercedes and give him some practice time and put Shumi in the Red Bull with some practice time and I think you will see MSC wipe the floor with MW. Both arguably great drivers, but the cars are what is driving their performances this year.

Using the example of Chandhok versus one of the front runners isn't a fair example. Think of the front runners in each others' cars and what the outcome would be. Or even more, think about last year where Reubens and Jenson ran away with the whole thing because Ross Brawn had a great car. Then this year you put Jenson in another great car and he does well. Remind me again how RB is doing this year?

Only then will you see that the real stars of F1 are folks like Adrian Newey. The car makes all the difference in the world.

See our F1 related articles too!