FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
The corkscrew.....in an F1 car.....I think I'm going to need a clean up...be right back.

I once attended an event at Laguna Seca; (it's just 30 minutes away) where they had 2 F1 cars, 2 Can AM cars and 2 indy cars racing around the course.
The F1 cars literally ran away from the others, gaining their time in the cork screw section.
The Can Am cars finished right in front of the Indy Cars.
This was more than 20 years ago but, I remember it vividly and was impressed how powerful the Can Am machines were with their 500 cu. in. Chevy engines powering out of turns and leaving the Indy cars only to be caught at the end of the straight sections.
The F1 cars however just gradually ran away with their superior handling through all the tough turn sections.
Breaking was the key as the F1 cars could brake later then the rest.
Texas has always been a country unto itself in some ways.

True, and quite a number of Texans (including the Governor) apparently still wish that was the case.

I have been there a number of times and can tell you the people are great and are true Americans

I have been there a couple of times as well, and I've loved the food and the raw beauty of it, but as far as the people, they looked no "truer American" to me than the other 27 states I've been in.

I will disregard the Lewis comment as anyone of any color can feel safe there.

There's a difference between feeling safe and feeling accepted.

BTW, you have not lived until you have been present near a 6000 HP blown fuel dragster leaving the starting line. THAT is something you will never see in Europe for the most part.

You would see it in Europe if there was a market for it.
Texas has always been a country unto itself in some ways.

True, and quite a number of Texans (including the Governor) apparently still wish that was the case.

I have been there a number of times and can tell you the people are great and are true Americans

I have been there a couple of times as well, and I've loved the food and the raw beauty of it, but as far as the people, they looked no "truer American" to me than the other 27 states I've been in.

I will disregard the Lewis comment as anyone of any color can feel safe there.

There's a difference between feeling safe and feeling accepted.

BTW, you have not lived until you have been present near a 6000 HP blown fuel dragster leaving the starting line. THAT is something you will never see in Europe for the most part.

You would see it in Europe if there was a market for it.

Actually, if someone feels safe, that means they feel accepted; they go hand in hand.
For the top fuel cars in europe, big block engines are america.
I doubt any of the motor manufactures over there would consider it do able but, just the same, It's pure Americana and part of our heritage.
Actually, looking at your handle and seeing your from Penn., I can understand your viewpoint as the east coast has always been jealous of the west... :drink:
Actually, looking at your handle and seeing your from Penn., I can understand your viewpoint as the east coast has always been jealous of the west... :drink:

Wow pretty impressive, you figured out all that about me just by looking at my handle! :thumbup:
...BTW, you have not lived until you have been present near a 6000 HP blown fuel dragster leaving the starting line.
THAT is something you will never see in Europe for the most part....

I suppose you think Europeans are still living in caves and fetch their supper with stone tools, too. Of course they have Top Fuel in Europe, the FIA also sanctions drag racing. In case you've forgotten, in 1991, American top fuel wunderkind Darrell Gwynn crashed his top fueler at Santa Pod Raceway in Northamptonshire, England, losing his left arm and use of his legs.

And they're making 8,000 bhp, not six.

Those white chaps in Jasper, Texas, were so accepting that they tied a chain around the ankles of a 49-year old black man named James Byrd and dragged him down the motorway behind their pickup truck until his body disintegrated.
Those white chaps in Jasper, Texas, were so accepting that they tied a chain around the ankles of a 49-year old black man named James Byrd and dragged him down the motorway behind their pickup truck until his body disintegrated.

Those white chaps? What sort of fight are you trying to start here? Are you seriously going to paint the state of texas as racist based on one event? Shall we compare the history of texas to that of europe in that regard? What does this have to do with F1 anyway?
Um, we were discussing "perceptions" and yes, I agree that race is not something we should be discussing here since it has nothing to do with F1 but I've done my part to keep it non inflammatory.

As you can see though, the "perception" of American racial relationships isn't so great, and the 20% American's that primarily get their news from Fox, and hear from the echo chamber that our current president is a Muslim, are doing their darnest to propagate that perception.

We should nip this in the bud before it gets into another locked thread, So Fred, thank you for that info that there was Top Fuel in Europe... I don't follow it here so I wouldn't follow it there, but thanks again for taking the time to better inform Mr.Conte.

Those white chaps? What sort of fight are you trying to start here? Are you seriously going to paint the state of texas as racist based on one event? Shall we compare the history of texas to that of europe in that regard? What does this have to do with F1 anyway?

Dont think he meant all white chaps in texas are...
He said a group of white chaps in Hasper..... did something....

He is branding Texas as racist...and it's a ridiculous thing to say.

He is branding Texas as racist...and it's a ridiculous thing to say.

I don't think that's what he was doing, I understand the sensitivities and you perhaps being defensive of it, but it's a fair counterpoint to Mr.Conte's generalization on the other side that ALL Texans are very accepting. he actually used the word "safe" which is a far cry from acceptance.
I may be wrong but I think you've all missed the point here. It was Stonemonkey's comment that began this line of debate. When he said
"Lewis'll just have to keep a look out for Tex when he's leaving the circuit." I think he meant our Tex....our very own deputy. No racial connotations intended, we're all being a little oversensitive again.
Hypersensitivity indeed! It was the "true Americans" comment that I found puzzling.

WB, are you just sensitive because NY didn't get the US GP?
And, Texans are true Americans as they have the sack to stand up to our government when our government is going off in the wrong direction.
For sure there's no one with any sack back east, just lots of blue blood, democrats that pander to minorities to get votes. (that should lock this one) :yes:
Go to Anything Else if you want to talk politics and please leave this thread to get back OT.

(that should lock this one) :yes:

Hmm, or we could just leave this thread open and send people packing for trying to get it locked... :wavey:

See our F1 related articles too!