FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
Now the BAD NEWS :(:hehe: !! Atleast it is a 10yr deal though :thumbup: !!

Tilke To Design New Austin Circuit

By Jonathan Noble
Thursday, May 27th 2010, 07:55 GMT

The new Austin Formula 1 track, which will host the American Grand Prix from 2012, is to be designed by Hermann Tilke, race organisers have announced.

Shortly after revealing its 10-year deal to hold the US event, Austin race promoters Full Throttle Productions have now earmarked a site for the circuit and confirmed that Tilke will be involved.

The exact location of the venue has not been disclosed, but Tavo Hellmund, managing partner of Full Throttle Productions, was quoted as saying by the Associated Press that its was 'more than 700 acres.'

Hellmund also ended speculation about who would design the track by confirming that F1 regular Tilke, the man behind track designs at Istanbul, Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, Shanghai, and Sepang, will be involved.

Race promoters said the track would be "one of the finest permanent road course facilities in the world. Fans should expect the craftsmanship Tilke is famous for, with a priority placed on green building and a track similar to the great grand prix tracks of previous generations."
Now the BAD NEWS :(:hehe: !! Atleast it is a 10yr deal though :thumbup: !!

Tilke To Design New Austin Circuit

By Jonathan Noble
Thursday, May 27th 2010, 07:55 GMT

The new Austin Formula 1 track, which will host the American Grand Prix from 2012, is to be designed by Hermann Tilke, race organisers have announced.

Shortly after revealing its 10-year deal to hold the US event, Austin race promoters Full Throttle Productions have now earmarked a site for the circuit and confirmed that Tilke will be involved.

The exact location of the venue has not been disclosed, but Tavo Hellmund, managing partner of Full Throttle Productions, was quoted as saying by the Associated Press that its was 'more than 700 acres.'

Hellmund also ended speculation about who would design the track by confirming that F1 regular Tilke, the man behind track designs at Istanbul, Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, Shanghai, and Sepang, will be involved.

Race promoters said the track would be "one of the finest permanent road course facilities in the world. Fans should expect the craftsmanship Tilke is famous for, with a priority placed on green building and a track similar to the great grand prix tracks of previous generations."

FFS :thumbdown:
I doubt any F1 fan in the US is happy about this but you/we cannot say it was unexpected right? I as possibly alot of others are just happy to see some progress on a US F1 effort/return and atleast too me a Tilke design is at the very bottom of my list of concerns.
Enough of the George Bush talk; he is gone and can never return as president... Texas can not be held responsible for his crimes against common sense!!!

Back to discussion about the new venue and forthcoming race; let's not politicise the race, god knows we already have too much BS politics in F1!

hmmmm... but sausage Cheney can, and his only experience with F1 is the help key on his computer. Hopefully this circuit in Austin will materialize or at least we'll get a United States F1 somewhere soon regardless of the track/design. We need a race first before visibility and commercial support materializes.
Formula 1HT (Hermann Tilke) here we come; what next a Tilke redesign of Spa?!?! :banghead:

It does make me wonder why make a new track when there are already some great tracks here in the US; it's got to be cheaper to upgrade than build a whole F1 circuit.
Apart from the idiocy of another Tilke-designed track, I see two difficulties with the locale. The first is scheduling. Owing to the present emphasis on thrift, they'll want to schedule the GP of Texas when the F1 circus already are in the Americas, meaning adjacent either Canada or Brazil. I rather doubt F1 want to deal with the tire-melting and power-sapping heat of a Texas summer (pray what tire compound does one use in a tornado?), which means Texas and Brazil likely will be "paired up" on the schedule. That not only takes some measure of flexibility away from the FIA in terms of scheduling, Americans tend to be less flexible with their holiday plans than Europeans. A venue with less extreme summer weather would have improved domestic attendance.

The second problem is transportation. I'm not accusing Austin of being primitive but Dallas has the better accessibility. American Airlines have their largest hub in Dallas and Southwest are headquartered there. It might make no difference to the F1 circus but it does to the fans, particularly those traveling internationally. According to its Wiki page, Austin's airport's only international flight is to Cancun, Mexico.

F1 is wounded in the states, owing to the 2005 Indy debacle. The Texas Tilke disaster should fair finish it off.
Formula 1HT (Hermann Tilke) here we come; what next a Tilke redesign of Spa?!?! :banghead:

It does make me wonder why make a new track when there are already some great tracks here in the US; it's got to be cheaper to upgrade than build a whole F1 circuit.

Not necessarily. Remember how much parking is required for all of those tour busses. Now, how many tracks can accomodate a quarter of a million fans? With the fees that Bernie Charges...they need a LOT of fans at the races. Those fans have to stay in hotels somewhere, which means a major city...that leaves out the likes of Sebring and most other GT tracks that I've been to. The width of the modern F1 track is the real problem.....most tracks here just aren't nearly that wide and without the width there would not be any hope at all of overtaking. I think the real problem though is facilities. Bernie demands top notch press facilities and state of the art infrastructure and that just doesn't exist at most racetracks. The only one even approaching that level are.....god I hate to say it.....Nascar tracks, and they are ovals with perhaps an infield but since they are surrounded by a stadium and an oval...it's nearly impossible to make that infield into a proper F1 track. There just isn't room.

Let us pray that Indy 2005 was some sort of mass hysteria and will never be repeated. No beer bottles allowed!
Your only focusing on the supposedly negative aspects of the Austin GP Fred_C_Dobbs and every GP worldwide has its negative aspects so how about just being happy for the US??
Apart from the idiocy of another Tilke-designed track, I see two difficulties with the locale. The first is scheduling. Owing to the present emphasis on thrift, they'll want to schedule the GP of Texas when the F1 circus already are in the Americas, meaning adjacent either Canada or Brazil. I rather doubt F1 want to deal with the tire-melting and power-sapping heat of a Texas summer (pray what tire compound does one use in a tornado?), which means Texas and Brazil likely will be "paired up" on the schedule. That not only takes some measure of flexibility away from the FIA in terms of scheduling, Americans tend to be less flexible with their holiday plans than Europeans. A venue with less extreme summer weather would have improved domestic attendance.

The second problem is transportation. I'm not accusing Austin of being primitive but Dallas has the better accessibility. American Airlines have their largest hub in Dallas and Southwest are headquartered there. It might make no difference to the F1 circus but it does to the fans, particularly those traveling internationally. According to its Wiki page, Austin's airport's only international flight is to Cancun, Mexico.

F1 is wounded in the states, owing to the 2005 Indy debacle. The Texas Tilke disaster should fair finish it off.

Re. scheduling: not necessarily the scenario you foresee: they may well schedule the Austin location on the way to or from races in East Asia (Korea is coming up as well).
I do wonder why Texas? slap bang in the middle of Nascar country! What's the F1 fan base like down south; Tex?

Why not Texas :wink: ?? Actually the news is that the Austin GP efforts financing has come from private investors; http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100526/F1/100529817 .

Texas is not 'slap bang' in the middle of NASCAR country either as that is the south eastern states, Texas is more south/central. The F1 fan base in Texas is quite large to be honest and with a 10yr contract on top of being a permanent venue I forsee/hope that the venue will host other FIA/ALMS events. I do not want to get ahead of myself though and will just sit back and see how things progress.

GULP

Austin?

Well I never ever thought that Texas would be the venue for the US Grand Prix

Nor would I have EVER thought it would but to be honest Austin is a superior local which is centrally located for the entire state. I doubt very few if any of the members here have ever been to Austin but it has a great diversty.
I do wonder why Texas? slap bang in the middle of Nascar country! What's the F1 fan base like down south; Tex?

Bernie wants to attack his enemy right at its heart. :)

As for Tilke?
Why? :confused: yes he's a good designer. Buthe already has his more than fair share at F1 tracks.
Dont see a reason for F1 to marry one exclusive designer. i think the fans and drivers would appreciate different design approaches..... variety is nice.
As for Tilke?
Why? :confused: yes he's a good designer. Buthe already has his more than fair share at F1 tracks.
Dont see a reason for F1 to marry one exclusive designer. i think the fans and drivers would appreciate different design approaches..... variety is nice.

Herman seems to have a 'lifetime' contract with Bernie doesn't he? :(

See our F1 related articles too!