FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By madbrad
I don't mean to defend Grosjean, but I'm not so sure Grosjean would have been so bad given half a chance. We are all familiar with the difficulty of getting a grip when thrown in the deep end as evidenced by Fisi and Badoer, not to mention just about anyone who was thrown in a car with no testing, even JV in the Renault. sometimes a car is just not suited to a driver other than the guy that did the development driving. And the Renault Grosjean was thrown into was not a very good car anyway. He's had a lot of success in lower formulae:
http://www.romaingrosjean.com/profile/?lang=en
including titles. And those are not insignificant series.
This year he became the first person to win a race in only his second start in the Andros Trophy, which appears to be some type of ice racing.
By The Oz
Grosjean/Piquet weren't great. But no-where near the worst. Piquet got a few decent finishes in 2008. Grosjean hopped into a car with no testing and had results the same as Piquet did in the first half of the year.
I don't mean to defend Grosjean, but I'm not so sure Grosjean would have been so bad given half a chance. We are all familiar with the difficulty of getting a grip when thrown in the deep end as evidenced by Fisi and Badoer, not to mention just about anyone who was thrown in a car with no testing, even JV in the Renault. sometimes a car is just not suited to a driver other than the guy that did the development driving. And the Renault Grosjean was thrown into was not a very good car anyway. He's had a lot of success in lower formulae:
http://www.romaingrosjean.com/profile/?lang=en
including titles. And those are not insignificant series.
This year he became the first person to win a race in only his second start in the Andros Trophy, which appears to be some type of ice racing.

I watched Grosjean in a lot of the junior formulae, and have watched him in the Andros Trophee (a good few folk on the forum know about and watch it). The pattern throughout his career in pretty much every series he's entered is that he can be brilliant one race, then non-existent the next. I know if I were a team boss and he raced for me I'd find that incredibly frustrating as you know the potential is there, but not the consistency.

This season although he won race 2 in the last round of the Andros Trophee (and by a long way!), he's way behind in the championship (currently lead by Alain Prost with a 15 point gap back to Deyraut in second), out of contention and it's only just past the half-way mark of their season.

Grosjean is definitely not anywhere close to the worst driver to appear in F1, didn't set the heather alight sure, but then who would have in that Renault? Even Alonso couldn't do anything with it... find it strange anyone would even suggest him to be honest...
I will vote for Claudio Langes - he had 14 attempts to qualify/prequalify and 14 failures, so never actually started a race!

omg! :rofl:
I will vote for Claudio Langes - he had 14 attempts to qualify/prequalify and 14 failures, so never actually started a race!

I used to go out with a girl whose claim to fame was standing on the grid holding Claudio's umbrella to keep him cool.......sounds like he could have done with warming up! Apparently he did drive quite quickly on public roads, which is worrying :irked:

I used to go out with a girl whose claim to fame was standing on the grid holding Claudio's umbrella to keep him cool.......sounds like he could have done with warming up! Apparently he did drive quite quickly on public roads, which is worrying :irked:

:hehe:
i love how everyone picks on the drivers from backmarker teams, i think drivers in good teams that waste their chances are more highlighted in my book to be the worst drivers, because even with the best car and support theyre still poo

rubens barrichello, heinz harald frentzen, jacques villeneuve post 97.

id say eddie irvine but im a fan of his attitude and 1999 season the lack of schumacher that year didnt make it easier on eddie it just meant he had no one to yield to, he still had to deal with hakkinen coulthard hill ralf etc on his own
By Big Azza
i love how everyone picks on the drivers from backmarker teams, i think drivers in good teams that waste their chances are more highlighted in my book to be the worst drivers, because even with the best car and support theyre still poo

Kovaleinen comes to mind in recent years... :wink:
By Nomad
Yuji Ide oh man, I remember seeing some of his highlights. Definitely the worst. Badoer was pretty bad too.

See our F1 related articles too!