FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
By zurich_allan
Hugely dominating performance from Dario. That crash with Mike Conway at the end was just scary, plain and simple. Glad he seems to be okay, because the flight the car took through the air reminded me almost of the crash that killed Greg Moore a number of years ago :( . Conway was so so lucky he didn't go head first into the wall the same way.
By texasmr2
Yes he was very lucky it was not more serious. I just saw the replay again on the news and I still could not locate the engine, did it get stuck in the fenceing?
By Matkins
Can't see the engine anywhere on the track which is lucky. And very lucky that Ryan Hunter Ray didn't find the engine in his face.
By texasmr2
I'm looking forward to the Texas race tonight at least its racing right.
By zurich_allan
Anyone else see the Edmonton Race last night? An absolute disgrace that the win was taken away from Castroneves, I didn't blame him for his reaction one little bit!! :nono:
By The Oz
Anyone else see the Edmonton Race last night? An absolute disgrace that the win was taken away from Castroneves, I didn't blame him for his reaction one little bit!! :nono:

He broke the rules didn't he? So then why shouldn't he get penalised :rolleyes:
By zurich_allan

He broke the rules didn't he? So then why shouldn't he get penalised :rolleyes:

Because in my opinion and everybody I've spoken too since that watched it he didn't change lanes and didn't break any rules. He had literally no choice but to move wide to make the turn in. What he was doing was not a racing move or a defensive move. In fact you could argue that had he NOT moved out and instead continued across the apex at that angle he would have taken a couple of cars out as they rounded at the correct angle. He didn't touch the other car, and in fact gave it plenty of room. So enough of your patronising 'rolleyes', rather pathetic...
By bud
I just watched it on Youtube and i cant see how he could have gotten done for blocking?? :yikes:

Only defence for the stewards is its hard as having what looks like a runway as part of the track makes it difficult to see if a car goes off line or not as there are only imaginary lines. So For having only watched it on youtube i dont know where the actual track is meant to be :hehe:
By Bubbie
I watched it and I too am not sure where the block took place. I think he was a little squirrely and trying to hold it together coming out of the corner and that could be what they are talking about when they say he changed lanes. Driving hard and being on the ragged edge is where the good racing is.

His team mate (the car he apparently blocked) said that he blocked him, so I guess there is something that we aren't seeing as laymen.
By IceManpjn
I just now got around to watching my recording of that race, as I don't really care for IndyCar but watch bits and pieces here and there. I remember talk about the alleged block and seeing a very brief clip, but now that I've watched it several times I don't see the block. My NASCAR friends describe it as Castroneves weaving all over the track to block, but they don't understand how road racing works. I looked at it a few times and just saw him following the race line.

UPDATE: From what I gather, IRL draws an imaginary line down the middle of the track, bisecting it into two imaginary lanes, and which side you are allowed to drive on depends on whether you're overtaking or being overtaken. If you are overtaking you get to drive on the inside lane and if you are being overtaken you have to drive on the outside lane. I follow several different motorsports from around the world and I can't say that I've ever heard of this sort of nonsense before.
By darwin dali
I just now got around to watching my recording of that race, as I don't really care for IndyCar but watch bits and pieces here and there. I remember talk about the alleged block and seeing a very brief clip, but now that I've watched it several times I don't see the block. My NASCAR friends describe it as Castroneves weaving all over the track to block, but they don't understand how road racing works. I looked at it a few times and just saw him following the race line.

UPDATE: From what I gather, IRL draws an imaginary line down the middle of the track, bisecting it into two imaginary lanes, and which side you are allowed to drive on depends on whether you're overtaking or being overtaken. If you are overtaking you get to drive on the inside lane and if you are being overtaken you have to drive on the outside lane. I follow several different motorsports from around the world and I can't say that I've ever heard of this sort of nonsense before.

Ssshhhhttt!!!
Don't give Bernie any ideas! :nono:
By What's Burning?

Ssshhhhttt!!!

He's already thought about that, it's just most F1 tracks aren't wide enough for the imaginary line.
By darwin dali

Ssshhhhttt!!!

He's already thought about that, it's just most F1 tracks aren't wide enough for the imaginary line.

Not true - all tracks are wide enough except for some places in the chicanes, but that's ok as the run to the chicane could be used for the imaginary line.
By zurich_allan
Big congratulations due for Dario Franchitti for somehow managing to capture his 3rd championship! :) Somehow managing to keep relentless pursuit of Will Power for the entire season to finally overhaul him at the final round is a real achievement! That race last night had so many distractions and incidents that it must have been incredibly difficult for him to maintain his composure / concentration.

I feel sorry for Power, that his (what seemed like) minor brush with the wall ended his race - I guess open wheel cars just don't have suspension designed for such a contact. He must be absolutely gutted, and I hope he comes back strong next year.

Well done Dario! :)

Edit - Rather disgraceful that it's now the next morning and the BBC website still has not a single mention of Franchitti's achievement. The forgotten man of British sport it seems... I guarantee that wouldn't be the case if he were English...

See our F1 related articles too!