FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Dedicated to technical discussion...
my car has launch control abs, esc all the major electronic controls infact

Doesn't it also have a V8 or something? :hehe:
ABS, carbon fibre, magnesium wheels and disk brakes (including ceramic) . . . . . . all results of the aircraft industry. :hehe:
ABS, carbon fibre, magnesium wheels and disk brakes (including ceramic) . . . . . . all results of the aircraft industry. :hehe:

You're right but they were in F1 before they made it to conventional automobiles which was the original post. Just about everything high tech originated in the aircraft or aerospace industry.

You're right but they were in F1 before they made it to conventional automobiles which was the original post. Just about everything high tech originated in the aircraft or aerospace industry.

Yeah it has was just messing :) . And I feel its extremely important for F1 and other top-end motorsports to push the development of new technologies, and to be free to do so without too many limitations.
Disc brakes were used on the 1902 Lanchester automobile (built in Birmingham), the year before the Wright brother's first powered flight. Malcolm Lougheed (founder of Lockheed) added hydraulics in 1918. The 1954 Austin-Healey 100S had 4-wheel disc brakes. F1 cars ran drum brakes until 1955.

Frank Williams introduced traction control to F1 in 1991. Buick sold wheel spin control systems in their production cars in 1971. Ford used it an a LeMans prototype they built in 1976 (but it caught fire and burned before they could race it).

Williams also introduced ABS to F1 in 1993. Jensen was installing ABS in their "FF" in 1966. BMW put in in the 1974 CSL 3.0.

Jack Brabham pirated CF rotors from an airplane and first ran them on his F1 cars 1976.

A flappy paddle shifter is nothing more than a motorcycle's SMG foot shifter moved to the steering column and with an automatic clutching device added.

I wasn't aware F1 had ever used dynamic stability control. They certainly don't any more for lack of ABS and TC.
Just get a good look at a Ferrari. Most of the technology of their cars comes from F1.

And yes, lots of things were invented before they were used in F1.... But since F1 is a sports car, you'll find a lot of F1 technology in modern road sports cars. And I'm sure that in a few years (like it is so often the case) you'll see all that technology in the cheepest cars you could buy. But by that time F1 is going to be a step (or maybe several steps) forward.

See our F1 related articles too!