FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
Citroen Junior Team driver Kimi Raikkonen has crashed out of Rally Mexico close to the finish of the final gravel stage of day one.

The Finn rolled his C4 WRC off the road a mile from the end of the second run through the El Cubliete test. Initial reports suggest it was a substantial crash, with the car rolling six times. Both Raikkonen and his co-driver Kaj Lindstrom were uninjured in the accident, but the C4 is said to be destroyed.

Raikkonen's first day on gravel in a World Rally Car has been eventful, with a bent steering arm spoiling the first stage and an electrical fault costing him 20 minutes on the second test. He then posted the fifth fastest time, just 0.9 seconds slower than the fastest time on his first ever asphalt WRC test, the Coca-Cola Street Stage.

The first two stages of the afternoon were also better with eighth and ninth quickest times on gravel before his accident.

Much like the first rally for Kimi, shows real good speed but can't control it. Of course some bad luck was also thrown in there too.
Last edited by Hexagram on 06 Mar 10, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.
Shows you how ridiculously hard it is to be a top rally driver... i hope Raikkonen doesn't make a habit of this. I guess at least he's been pretty quick, especially on tarmac.
It's not the first - I think there was one in Finland or somewhere like that - that he also retired from...
It's not the first - I think there was one in Finland or somewhere like that - that he also retired from...

He didn't retire from Sweden, however he hit a bank on the first day and lost 30 odd mins. Again though he was in the top 10 on several stages throughout the rally.

See our F1 related articles too!