FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Dedicated to technical discussion...
By LifeW12
USF1 (if they even get out on track) are running a transverse gearbox. What makes it different to other teams in the way it works?
By madbrad
It'll go sideways.
By Jabberwocky
would it not make the car shorter as well? The problem you have then is that all the power has to go through a transfer box as well. I would of say it would also add weight to the car.
By texasmr2
would it not make the car shorter as well? The problem you have then is that all the power has to go through a transfer box as well. I would of say it would also add weight to the car.

The chassis's have a set standard as far as wheel base, length and width, but the main reason I percieve is that it will allow the team more room to play with thus leading to a more neutral and centered "center" of gravity. Remember how some cars now are deemed as a "mid-engine" instead of a front engine or rear engine aka Porsches? Really it is just simple physic's that even I comprehend, now thats scary :yikes::hehe: !!!!

Where are those pics/graphics of the USF1 car?
By Jabberwocky

The chassis's have a set standard as far as wheel base, length and width, but the main reason I percieve is that it will allow the team more room to play with thus leading to a more neutral and centered "center" of gravity. Remember how some cars now are deemed as a "mid-engine" instead of a front engine or rear engine aka Porsches? Really it is just simple physic's that even I comprehend, now thats scary :yikes::hehe: !!!!

ah ok, just to clarify what I meant was that the engine/gearbox would be shorter. so more room would be available for the fuel tank etc behind the drivers seat. (I knew what I meant when I typed it lol)
By 7UpJordan
It will fall to bits... and then miraculously be repaired by a few whacks from Jeremy Clarkson's hammer.
By Gaz

ah ok, just to clarify what I meant was that the engine/gearbox would be shorter. so more room would be available for the fuel tank etc behind the drivers seat. (I knew what I meant when I typed it lol)

There doing it to make more room for the diffuser i think.

i posted a CAD drawning before.
By scotty
There doing it to make more room for the diffuser i think.

I heard the same.

ok, I thought the crash structure was the part that limited the diffuser?

I think the floor itself is largely exempt from many modern regs, so that would (in theory) be the part that could be modified to help the diffuser, as a result of this gearbox arrangement.
By Gaz

Yeah as i understand it the Crash Structure is in Red, and this is fixed.

I expect the USF1 Design allows the diffuser to be extended to the blue area?

See our F1 related articles too!