FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For computing and gaming discussion (incl. batracer)
ill always run windows machines i think

and wont get any SSD drives for a while. ive heard they are worse [and far more expensive, with far less capacity [as yet]

ill stick with my dell that i have fitted with 2x500gb HDD
its too old to play any new games but it runs 2 full HD monitors fine

macs are just too expensive for me and i do like windows [and not a fan of apple in general really]

your right about the capacity they tend to be more expensive for lower capacity.

But they are far far better than magnetic disk drives, they are faster at retrieving data, they don't loose data if you drop them and you don't need to worry about them becoming fragmented so no need to defrag ever.

In fact they need to change the file system really so it scatters blocks of data across them rather than storing them in an order like the NTFS system.

You're right for the most part. The only thing I disagree with you is the scattering of data on the SSD. I like it as it is because the fact that OSX stores data starting at the beginning of each partition provides me with the opportunity to resize my partitions on the fly without any risky third-party apps.

and wont get any SSD drives for a while. ive heard they are worse [and far more expensive, with far less capacity [as yet]

macs are just too expensive for me and i do like windows [and not a fan of apple in general really]

your right about the capacity they tend to be more expensive for lower capacity.

But they are far far better than magnetic disk drives, they are faster at retrieving data, they don't loose data if you drop them and you don't need to worry about them becoming fragmented so no need to defrag ever.

In fact they need to change the file system really so it scatters blocks of data across them rather than storing them in an order like the NTFS system.

You're right for the most part. The only thing I disagree with you is the scattering of data on the SSD. I like it as it is because the fact that OSX stores data starting at the beginning of each partition provides me with the opportunity to resize my partitions on the fly without any risky third-party apps.

yeah but that would be slower since it would only be able to use a few of the actual chips that the SSD is made up of.

besides it would be a completely different file system so it would be able to just move the blocks into the free space.

yeah but that would be slower since it would only be able to use a few of the actual chips that the SSD is made up of.

besides it would be a completely different file system so it would be able to just move the blocks into the free space.

At any rate, I'm quite impressed with my 256GB SSD so far :cloud9:
in a few years time when the wear rate is better and capacity and price beats HDD i wont be changing

my laptop dropped down ten wooden stairs into a skirting board.. [you can imagine the impact speed!] it was on and it was fine, i havent been worried about HDD failing on impact since that
Mac is great and stylish. But waaaaaay too expensive, and considering computers are obsolete in at most 2 yrs.... i think they are over priced.
If you're talking about 250GB of RAM, then we're on to something. Otherwise... PC is fine.

A friend of mine ran linux and the pc was super fast and never crashed. The problem is mostly windows. Its crap, but we're stuck with it.
Mac is great and stylish. But waaaaaay too expensive, and considering computers are obsolete in at most 2 yrs.... i think they are over priced.
If you're talking about 250GB of RAM, then we're on to something. Otherwise... PC is fine.

A friend of mine ran linux and the pc was super fast and never crashed. The problem is mostly windows. Its crap, but we're stuck with it.

Windows 7 is a pretty stable piece of OS. Don't lump the windows 98 experience on today's OS. I've used Mac, never owned one, but have lusted for them simply on the basis of looks, design, and functionality both hardware and software. So that's the way aaay in way to expensive is coming from.

Although it's funny how you could be an F1 fan and balk at exorbitant pricing. :wink:

I'm on the verge of breaking down and getting an 11 inch MacBook Air.
Yeah, Windows 7 is not bad. I've not had any significant problems with it.... But if there was competition in the OS market for PC, i'm sure we'd have a much better option...

I'll buy a Mac when i can put it on the company's card :wink:
You guys are just repeating the old myth of too expensive: by the time you add this and that to make a PC FUNCTIONAL as it should be out of the box, your price is the same or in some cases even higher than a Mac (there are published official comparisons to look up). Unless you build your own box from parts you buy cheaply and don't charge yourself an hourly rate for building the puter, you will be pretty on par when you buy a Mac. And I'm not even talking about the lifetime costs for troubleshooting a PC, for replacing parts that break so much sooner than in a Mac because of crappy build quality, costs for downtime of the PC which is much higher than a Mac's, etc. BTW: I have an old dinosaur of a Mac (PowerPC 9500) from 1995 and it's still happily humming along - talk about longevity...

Also, don't forget that every Mac comes with a slew of great FREE applications that are the envy of most Windoze users (so add those to your purchase price of a PC) - and of course the way better and more user-friendly OSX. I'd rather pay more and have a great experience than getting annoyed and be unproductive b/c of a fugly retarded Micro$oft OS.
You guys are just repeating the old myth of too expensive: by the time you add this and that to make a PC FUNCTIONAL as it should be out of the box, your price is the same or in some cases even higher than a Mac (there are published official comparisons to look up). Unless you build your own box from parts you buy cheaply and don't charge yourself an hourly rate for building the puter, you will be pretty on par when you buy a Mac. And I'm not even talking about the lifetime costs for troubleshooting a PC, for replacing parts that break so much sooner than in a Mac because of crappy build quality, costs for downtime of the PC which is much higher than a Mac's, etc. BTW: I have an old dinosaur of a Mac (PowerPC 9500) from 1995 and it's still happily humming along - talk about longevity...

Also, don't forget that every Mac comes with a slew of great FREE applications that are the envy of most Windoze users (so add those to your purchase price of a PC) - and of course the way better and more user-friendly OSX. I'd rather pay more and have a great experience than getting annoyed and be unproductive b/c of a fugly retarded Micro$oft OS.

Someone is sounding a bit didactic! I do build my own box, but I charge myself an exorbitant fee, and then write it off as business expense! Shhh... don't tell the federales. ;)

And I'm way better now, I'm at least thinking about buying that MacBook air... I may really break down and get it, it's sooo cute.

Someone is sounding a bit didactic! I do build my own box, but I charge myself an exorbitant fee, and then write it off as business expense! Shhh... don't tell the federales. ;)

And I'm way better now, I'm at least thinking about buying that MacBook air... I may really break down and get it, it's sooo cute.

I know right!? iPad my bottom, I want an 11" MacBook Air!

That being said, I could be sold on the iPad if they make it lighter, thinner, cheaper for high capacities (16GB is not enough for a mobile Computer, my top of the line iPhone has twice that) and double the resolution of the screen. So essentially, I probably won't be looking at iPads until at least 2012. MacBook Air 11 though? Sign me up :cloud9:

Ok... this SOUNDS reasonable... but where are the numbers for this?
Yes, the PCs are troublefull... you have to keep updating, security issues, antivirus, windows issues, disk inefficiency etc etc. But say... you have a small company, and you have to buy 6 computers or so...... unless you're in graphic design, i think its rarely budget-wise going Mac.

It's the applications that don't support the operating system, not the operating system that doesn't support the applications :P

It is a two way street. Its not strictly games must support OS. OS has to support said program. Either way, I just feel apple note books are horrendously over priced. I'm sure it'll function fine, but I can't get over those sticker prices. Maybe its because I'm a big gamer, and the windows side has just so many more options for a much more down to earth price.

I love my asus :D

Sorry you have had such bad experiences. Even vista was amazing for me. I love windows 7 however, completely amazing OS.

See our F1 related articles too!