FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For computing and gaming discussion (incl. batracer)
Over the past several months I'm experienceing the issue of my hard drive clicking and then shutting down all together with a message that reads something like "A problem has been detected and Windows is being shutdown to protect your computer"??? I have recieved several opinions from friends who are in the IT field and I was told that it seem's to be a physical malfunction and not a Virus. My hard drive has 74.4gig of memory/space and I have a full 68.6gig's of space left so I'm totally baffled???

Another thing that is currently throwing me for a loop is that I have been logged in now for over one hour with no issue's whatsoever!!! I have McAfee protection yet realize that if a virus already existed before I installed McAfee that I would/should still experience issue's, what say yall before I order an un-needed new hard drive???

Thanks,
tex
The clicking sound is a physical fault, usually related to wear. I'd start backing up your data now, just to be safe. You might find it won't fail - the drive in my test computer has been clicking for years, but hasn't failed yet (although I do have problems with bad sectors every now and then) - but it's better to be safe than sorry.
Thanks for the input. I have everything backed up already but wanted other opinion's, guess I need to order a new hard drive right??? I'm ready to order at this very moment yet I want to make sure that I'm making the RIGHT decision???? :confused:

tex
Definitely sounds like bad sectors on the disk drive; you can try to run Chkdsk to attempt to repair the bad sectors or mark the sectors as bad so those sectors are not read but it will reduce drive capacity; how much will depend on severity of the errors. To echo what was said above I would keep using the disk as long as you regularly back up or save files directly to your backup drive. As yes technically it is windows that is causing your problem with shutdowns as it doesn't know what to do with the bad sectors so shuts down to avoid embarrassment!
Definitely sounds like bad sectors on the disk drive; you can try to run Chkdsk to attempt to repair the bad sectors or mark the sectors as bad so those sectors are not read but it will reduce drive capacity; how much will depend on severity of the errors.

How do I run CHKDSK??
Press the 'Windows' (>.<) key on your keyboard along with the R key and when the box pops up, type 'cmd' and hit enter. Then when the black box pops up, type 'chkdsk' and hit enter.

Just did that and recieved this message:

[b]'Errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in 'read-only' mode' ?[/b]
Last edited by texasmr2 on 11 Nov 09, 22:09, edited 1 time in total.

See our F1 related articles too!