FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Dedicated to technical discussion...
By darwin dali
With MW's capital brake failure in Singapore just being the latest example, what can be done to solve the brake problem?
Steve Matchett mentioned that unlike the brake disks, the calipers are highly regulated and that those calipers now have begun to be outperformed by the carbon disks, which then leads to all sorts of brake problems.
Maybe F1 should go back to non-exotic materials for brakes with a vastly reduced performance - could make on-track action and overtaking REALLY interesting :twisted:
By Gilles 27
I've always thought that reducing the cars' ability to slow down would greatly improve overtaking opportunities as it makes the crucial braking distances larger and creates more opportunity for mistakes to be made under braking. of course there is the safety issues to consider but in all honesty, i think that F1 has arrived at a point where the safety of the cars and circuits is satisfactory and it is probably time to prioritise a new agenda in F1 for the time being. overtaking should be the new priority imo
By autogyro
I have a design for a three wheeled vehicle with no brakes, just two generator/motors with multi ratios for the front two wheels. Makes a good boat, submarine and with a para sail, aircraft as well.
By chemax
You would think that with all the tech in the cars, the rotors would be more reliable, at least more robust...
By Jabberwocky
maybe limiting the thickness of brake pads from race to race is the way forward. conserve brakes at the start of the race of some banzai moves in the closing stages or maybe. banzai at the start and struggle at the end. like tyre usage type of thing.

By rotor do you mean brake disc?

If people are worried about safety maybe a button that ejects the dampers so the car bottoms out in case of brake failure (this might need some looking into but it has promise)
By chemax

Yeah... I've noticed a few differences in terminology in this place. I just read someone's post that said "kerb" instead of what I'm used to seeing... "curb." I just have to get used to it!

Usually I hear people say disc when referring to the type of brake system, (disc, drum, etc...). When talking about actual components, they always say pad/caliper/rotor. I'm guessing with all the worldwide members here, I'm just an odd man out!
By darwin dali

Yeah... I've noticed a few differences in terminology in this place. I just read someone's post that said "kerb" instead of what I'm used to seeing... "curb." I just have to get used to it!

Usually I hear people say disc when referring to the type of brake system, (disc, drum, etc...). When talking about actual components, they always say pad/caliper/rotor. I'm guessing with all the worldwide members here, I'm just an odd man out!

Nah, you're not - I say rotor, too :wink:
But then again, I live in America:hehe:
By Jabberwocky
I had not noticed the Kerb/Curb thing.

I just find it interesting that different names for the same things have come about. Rotor/Brake Disc or bumper/fender or bonnet/hood
By darwin dali
I had not noticed the Kerb/Curb thing.

I just find it interesting that different names for the same things have come about. Rotor/Brake Disc or bumper/fender or bonnet/hood

Yup:P
By cap-dude
They were going to increase the brake calliper size so that this problem would be solved. But no, Williams have voted against that to.

Williams vote against nearly everything. WTF is wrong with them right now.
By EwanM
They were going to increase the brake calliper size so that this problem would be solved. But no, Williams have voted against that to.

Sir Frank has the right idea. He's the last one on the list. He must stay on Max's good books ;)
By Denthúl
I've always thought that reducing the cars' ability to slow down would greatly improve overtaking opportunities as it makes the crucial braking distances larger and creates more opportunity for mistakes to be made under braking. of course there is the safety issues to consider but in all honesty, i think that F1 has arrived at a point where the safety of the cars and circuits is satisfactory and it is probably time to prioritise a new agenda in F1 for the time being. overtaking should be the new priority imo

I agree. :yes:

I'm pretty sure that was the thickness of the pad. Clearly they feel that they're on top of the situation and have a solution worked out. Why give away any advantage to your rivals?
By Jabberwocky

Nah, you're not - I say rotor, too :wink:
But then again, I live in America:hehe:

I tried to find a similar video for where I live and failed. this is about the best of the bunch :-(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4X8HJS3 ... re=related

the music is amazing
By stonemonkey

The difference between a curb and a kerb is that one is along the edge of a sidewalk while the other is along the edge of a pavement.

See our F1 related articles too!