FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
Good day everyone I am fairly new to formula 1 and I have two burning questions

1. Why is the colour purple used for the fastest sector? Is there some historical significance or was the colour picked from a hat?

2. Lewis crashed on the final lap at Monza, did not finish the race but was given 12th position. Why?

Regards
1. couldn't tell you, interesting question though... :scratchchin:
2. cause some cars had been lapped, they only completed 52/53 laps or less, but Hamilton had already started that 53rd lap before them. Also even though he didn't see the chequered flag he still technically completed more of the race than the lapped cars. You'll sometimes see drivers being classified with a final race position even if they retired a couple of laps before the end, not sure why though.
Thanks for the response.

Does it therefore stand to reason that had the safety card not been deployed he would have finished further than 12th?

No He completed lap 52 was on lap 53 when he crashed. The cars that were a lap down when they completed lap 52 had the chequered flag thus could not pass Hamilton who was still ahead though crashed out.
Has anyone seen purple used on screen? People keep referring to it, but all my TV ever shows is green for quicker and yellow for slower. Ever. :yikes:

you never been on chat when you see people say: (me included)

" LEWIS Purple S1

Purple S2

Fastest LAP :D:D:D "

i really love the colour purple now

:hehe:
Has anyone seen purple used on screen? People keep referring to it, but all my TV ever shows is green for quicker and yellow for slower. Ever. :yikes:

you never been on chat when you see people say: (me included)

" LEWIS Purple S1

Purple S2

Fastest LAP :D:D:D "

i really love the colour purple now

:hehe:

:blush: I have to admit I'm guilty of also being one of those constantly saying - Lewis Purple S1/ Sutil purple S3... I think I'm slightly addicted to the live timings! :cloud9:

See our F1 related articles too!