FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Dedicated to technical discussion...
IRL's "overtake assist button" is complete and utter sh!t. I remember Paul Tracy said it only gives like 5 or 6 extra horsepower. This is just another failed attempt by the IRL to copy Champ Car's "push to pass" which used extra boost from the turbo.

Yea, but apparently if only provide 200RPM more. Which in a high-rev NA engine is nothing.
IRL's "overtake assist button" is complete and utter sh!t. I remember Paul Tracy said it only gives like 5 or 6 extra horsepower. This is just another failed attempt by the IRL to copy Champ Car's "push to pass" which used extra boost from the turbo.

Yea, but apparently if only provide 200RPM more. Which in a high-rev NA engine is nothing.

Yep. And its a product of the IRL, so of course its going to be crap.
In reality how GREEN can a 800bhp F1 car be?

If F1 wants to be green I think they should come up with a way to use hydrogen as fuel. I dont get why the FIA doesnt push for something like that, instead of giving us a crappy system such as kers.

:yes:

Yep. And its a product of the IRL, so of course its going to be crap.

I enjoyed watching IRL on road courses. Pretty good racing.
aye, hydrgoen fueled cars can be really pushed foreward with investment from f1, now that would be awesome. Plus it won't just be "green", it'll actually be better in almost every sense (of course I'm talking what is theoretically possible). It would put f1 cars at the damn forefront, actually I feel strongly enough to go and do something about this.
aye, hydrgoen fueled cars can be really pushed foreward with investment from f1, now that would be awesome. Plus it won't just be "green", it'll actually be better in almost every sense (of course I'm talking what is theoretically possible). It would put f1 cars at the damn forefront, actually I feel strongly enough to go and do something about this.

Do it
I think KERS should be unrestricted. so that a team can use all the power they can get from the system. I am sure that that will make the system more use for the road. It will make the system more efficient. this could then be used by limiting the amount of fuel an F1 car can use in the race. So teams will have to make the Kers a fuel saving device as well
I think KERS should be unrestricted. so that a team can use all the power they can get from the system. I am sure that that will make the system more use for the road. It will make the system more efficient. this could then be used by limiting the amount of fuel an F1 car can use in the race. So teams will have to make the Kers a fuel saving device as well

:yes::director: That's what I thought would be the implementation down the road when I heard of KERS for the first time, but noooooo! :rolleyes:
I thought KERS was more towards increasing overtaking...

Nah, pinnacle of technology.

Both.

No, it's just technology transfer back to industry. It's not "green" in F1 as it doesn't save fuel and nor does it aid overtaking if everyone has it.

:yes:
turbocharger.jpg
with a 'boost control' setting knob. The Uni-ECU will have a max boost setting but allow's a driver to 'play' within the perimeter's of that setting.

Just a thought,
tex
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I've been saying about this idea for ages. Formula 2 have an over-boost button, which allows them to increase their revs for a limited amount of time, 8 times during a race. F1 could easily implement something like this. The engines are already rev limited. Just add a button that allows them to exceed that rev limit, something like 8 or 15 times during a race.

It increases overtaking, without heavily restricting aero regs and thus doesn't remove the whole idea of F1 being the pinnacle of engineering. :thumbup: I'm all for a boost button.

KERS simply doesn't work, because to be fair, all the cars need to be using it. But if all the cars are using it, KERS just negates itself really and becomes pointless. It simply doesn't increase overtaking. Its just another crappy green thing, which lets be frank, isn't saving the world :rolleyes:

See our F1 related articles too!