FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Dedicated to technical discussion...
I like the sound of the boost being limited for an amount of time. (8 uses)
I've been saying about this idea for ages. Formula 2 have an over-boost button, which allows them to increase their revs for a limited amount of time, 8 times during a race. F1 could easily implement something like this. The engines are already rev limited. Just add a button that allows them to exceed that rev limit, something like 8 or 15 times during a race.

It increases overtaking, without heavily restricting aero regs and thus doesn't remove the whole idea of F1 being the pinnacle of engineering. :thumbup: I'm all for a boost button.

KERS simply doesn't work, because to be fair, all the cars need to be using it. But if all the cars are using it, KERS just negates itself really and becomes pointless. It simply doesn't increase overtaking. Its just another crappy green thing, which lets be frank, isn't saving the world :rolleyes:

Not necessarily: let's say a driver mounts an attack, the driver in the front doesn't know whether it's a real attempt to pass or just a teaser to get him to press the KERS button in defensive mode (also, the attempt could have been w/o KERS). At any rate, the driver in the front may exhaust his allotment of KERS and the driver behind might successfully pass a couple corners further down.
I've been saying about this idea for ages. Formula 2 have an over-boost button, which allows them to increase their revs for a limited amount of time, 8 times during a race. F1 could easily implement something like this. The engines are already rev limited. Just add a button that allows them to exceed that rev limit, something like 8 or 15 times during a race.

It increases overtaking, without heavily restricting aero regs and thus doesn't remove the whole idea of F1 being the pinnacle of engineering. :thumbup: I'm all for a boost button.

KERS simply doesn't work, because to be fair, all the cars need to be using it. But if all the cars are using it, KERS just negates itself really and becomes pointless. It simply doesn't increase overtaking. Its just another crappy green thing, which lets be frank, isn't saving the world :rolleyes:

Not necessarily: let's say a driver mounts an attack, the driver in the front doesn't know whether it's a real attempt to pass or just a teaser to get him to press the KERS button in defensive mode (also, the attempt could have been w/o KERS). At any rate, the driver in the front may exhaust his allotment of KERS and the driver behind might successfully pass a couple corners further down.

That can happen, but unless you're at a circuit with a good number of overtaking opportunities there's already enough KERS to defend yourself each lap.
You will not like this.
Internal combustion engines are very inefficient. Lay shaft gearboxes, whether F1 dog engagement or twin shaft/clutch versions are based on pre 19th century technology.
Electric motors are easily capable of 800 plus bhp and are far more efficient and lighter.
There is an electric vehicle revolution going on under the noses of the obsolete vehicle users both on the road and in motor racing. Time to wake up?
Kers systems are essential to the future of F1. It must become the pinnacle of current vehicle technology again instead of lumbering along pandering to the motor head brrm brrm brigade. It is not a matter of if F1 is environmentally damaging, in the over all scheme of things it is not of course. It is how the world public perceives it to be.
Kers can be developed progressively to faze out the power needs from the IC engine and replace it with electrical power.
Ethanol is part of the answer. It is a better (and non fossil) fuel compared with petrol for ice's and it can also be used in fuel cells like hydrogen (a red herring from the oil companies fuel) to produce electricity directly.
The ancient obsolete layshaft gearbox is the major block to development of this kind. It just so happens that I have a seven speed stepped F1 gearbox design that is also a Kers generator/motor. It fills the gap perfectly for both IC and electric use.
You will not like this.
Internal combustion engines are very inefficient. Lay shaft gearboxes, whether F1 dog engagement or twin shaft/clutch versions are based on pre 19th century technology.
Electric motors are easily capable of 800 plus bhp and are far more efficient and lighter.
There is an electric vehicle revolution going on under the noses of the obsolete vehicle users both on the road and in motor racing. Time to wake up?
Kers systems are essential to the future of F1. It must become the pinnacle of current vehicle technology again instead of lumbering along pandering to the motor head brrm brrm brigade. It is not a matter of if F1 is environmentally damaging, in the over all scheme of things it is not of course. It is how the world public perceives it to be.
Kers can be developed progressively to faze out the power needs from the IC engine and replace it with electrical power.
Ethanol is part of the answer. It is a better (and non fossil) fuel compared with petrol for ice's and it can also be used in fuel cells like hydrogen (a red herring from the oil companies fuel) to produce electricity directly.
The ancient obsolete layshaft gearbox is the major block to development of this kind. It just so happens that I have a seven speed stepped F1 gearbox design that is also a Kers generator/motor. It fills the gap perfectly for both IC and electric use.

I like everything

See our F1 related articles too!