FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Just as it says...
By f1ea
F1 drivers are more fit.
(Regardless of ability) a F1 driver could easily play a full football match. Whilst a footballer could not go a race distance without blacking out or his neck snapping. In fact, not even a driver from another category could go a race distance without proper F1 fitness training.

I would say it's relatively equal; it's a different type of fitness, F1 drivers need to have strong enough muscles to withstand the G-Forces exerted by a F1 car but footballers need more stamina fitness as they are constantly running around. Formula 1 drivers don't have much to physically do in modern F1 cars; it's not like old F1 when the car had a clutch and a physical gear stick and non of this fly by wire control system!

The real strain is the G forces and keeping your brain working. Not stepping on a clutch pedal or shifting gears. G forces are much much higher compared to the old days, so i can easily say drivers today are fitter than in the old days.
By headless
F1 drivers are more fit.
(Regardless of ability) a F1 driver could easily play a full football match.

Yeah and alot are actually quite good.
Alonso, Schumi, Massa
By stonemonkey
I would say it's relatively equal; it's a different type of fitness, F1 drivers need to have strong enough muscles to withstand the G-Forces exerted by a F1 car but footballers need more stamina fitness as they are constantly running around.

If you don't think it requires stamina to have up to 5 or so G's pushing you forward, backward, left, right, and every combination of those direction possible for a few hours, well I don't know what to tell you.

In reality; the only part of the body that feels the full extent of the g-forces is the head as the rest of the body is so tightly strapped in that the head and shoulders are the only parts of the body that actually moves. That is why I said that it's about upper body muscle tone to be able to hold the head upright when experiencing g-forces.

And your internal organs and your bloodflow.

Anyone got any idea how much fluid a footballer loses during a match?
By headless
Not much.
By headless
Not much.

That is a joke right?

Football isn't that extremely challenging and it aint really that warm when they play (summer missed out) so they don't lose that much fluid.
By bud
could an F1 driver do the tour de France? No Could a cyclist race an F1 car? no

every athlete is conditioned to their chosen sport! So the question that matters is "are they fit enough for their own sport" not ones they do not contest
By welshie

every athlete is conditioned to their chosen sport! So the question that matters is "are they fit enough for their own sport" not ones they do not contest

:thumbup:
By headless

Is an F1 driver fit enough to sit on their arse all day no?
Am I?
Yes
Could I do an F1 race? No.
By headless

Is an F1 driver fit enough to sit on their arse all day?
No
Am I?
Yes
Could I do an F1 race?
No.
By bud

Am I?
Yes

sitting on your arse requires fitness?
By texasmr2
Not much.

That is a joke right?

Football isn't that extremely challenging and it aint really that warm when they play (summer missed out) so they don't lose that much fluid.

Sorry gonna have to disagree with ya on this one.
By headless

Am I?
Yes

Erm .. yes
and its a very hard technique to master.
Still working on it.
By stonemonkey

Am I?
Yes

Erm .. yes
and its a very hard technique to master.
Still working on it.

There are also very specific dietary requirements.

See our F1 related articles too!