FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

From your dishwasher to F1 memorabilia, advertise here! For regulars only.
By Denthúl
Alreet. :)

I don't think that it is likely, but does anybody have any old computer parts lying around? I'm looking for anything that is reasonably usable, so obviously things like Pentium IIs, Durons, RIMMs, SCSI drives, 5.25" floppy drives etc. aren't really on my list. But things like Athlon 64s, Pentium 4s, DDR or DDR2 memory, AGP or lower-spec PCI-Express graphics cards (even PCI cards would do), motherboards that would accept said processors (socket 754, 939, AM2, 478, 775 etc.) and so on.

I'd prefer not to have entire computers, as most of the other stuff would probably end up being binned, so really components would be all I'm after. But like I said, I don't think anyone here will have much like that :hehe:

Cheers. :)
By headless
I'll second that.
I need some.
By cap-dude
I work in computer repair, fixing laptops, replacing parts etc. But most of the time someone comes looking a proper upgrade, it usually turns out it's cheaper just to replace the whole computer.

Honestly, you can get another 2gb or RAM of somewhere like Amazon for next to nothing now. But upgrading stuff like video cards, you can only go so far before the processor limits what the upgrades do, and replacing the processor? Well, thats where your usually just recommend to upgrade your computer.

Really, it depends on how big an upgrade you want. But it's always worth having a look around for new computers, because you'll need a replacement sooner or later.
By Denthúl
I work in computer repair, fixing laptops, replacing parts etc. But most of the time someone comes looking a proper upgrade, it usually turns out it's cheaper just to replace the whole computer.

Honestly, you can get another 2gb or RAM of somewhere like Amazon for next to nothing now. But upgrading stuff like video cards, you can only go so far before the processor limits what the upgrades do, and replacing the processor? Well, thats where your usually just recommend to upgrade your computer.

Really, it depends on how big an upgrade you want. But it's always worth having a look around for new computers, because you'll need a replacement sooner or later.

I'm after this stuff to be used with things that I already have. For example, I have an Athlon X2 5600+ CPU, 2GB RAM, 8500GT, hard drive and case, but no motherboard. Similarly, I've got a socket 939 board, 1GB RAM and a hard drive, but no graphics card or CPU for it. And so on.

:)
By headless

Bottle Neck.

I just want bitsto play with and make and create and play with, when it is raining and I aint at work.
By Denthúl

Bottle Neck.

I just want bitsto play with and make and create and play with, when it is raining and I aint at work.

If you want a cheap project, try a Mini-ITX machine like I did. I bought 'Canary' for £150 and assembled her in about twenty minutes.

http://i41.tinypic.com/29c1lck.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/34xjry1.jpg

Not much to put together, though. It became more of a software project for me, as she now functions as a web server, SSH server, my local 'apt-mirror' (basically, I have all of the major packages from the Ubuntu repositories on that computer - around 25GB worth of software that I can install on my networked machines from Canary instead of downloading from the internet every time) and a machine that I can leave on all the time, so I can complete downloads overnight. It uses up about the same amount of power as my router, which is pretty handy - if there was a better chipset that wasn't so out-dated and was more energy-efficient, it would be much better.
By Denthúl
her

:eek: My PC is named but never thought of it as a 'her'!

Mind you, my car is most definitely a she :hehe:

:hehe:

Yep. Each computer is a 'she'. Well, I dunno. I guess I see Mule as an actual mule, seeing as that one is the one that does a lot of the testing work. :P
By megasyxx
Alreet. :)
I don't think that it is likely, but does anybody have any old computer parts lying around? I'm looking for anything that is reasonably usable, so obviously things like Pentium IIs, Durons, RIMMs, SCSI drives, 5.25" floppy drives etc. aren't really on my list. But things like Athlon 64s, Pentium 4s, DDR or DDR2 memory, AGP or lower-spec PCI-Express graphics cards (even PCI cards would do), motherboards that would accept said processors (socket 754, 939, AM2, 478, 775 etc.) and so on.

I'd prefer not to have entire computers, as most of the other stuff would probably end up being binned, so really components would be all I'm after. But like I said, I don't think anyone here will have much like that :hehe:
Cheers. :)

we have tons of those stuff here, real cheap! check out > http://www.openpinoy.com/
but sadly, i guess you're from the europe or the u.s.
maybe you can send me the money, i'll buy what you need and i'll fedex the items back to you :wink: just kiddin :D conversion for php to $ is 48 php = 1 $
By Gaz
i could try and get some 256 DDR 2700 for you.

perhaps some hp dx2000 mobos and cpu's

pretty much everything if you like apart from hard disks let me know.
By Denthúl
Just going to bump this instead of making a brand new thread, as I might find myself using it again in future, but does anyone have a socket AM2 board? Freya's died last night and I'm in desperate need of a replacement for her >.<

See our F1 related articles too!