FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Dedicated to technical discussion...
I've noticed some very interesting features from Newey's RBR5 chassis which are all based on a few features based on F1 cars from the past.

The first item I'll point out are the rear wing endplates. Already this has been copied by Williams as they had similar endplates on Rosberg's car at Bahrain, but Newey isn't the first man to use them in F1, the endplates were last seen in the Turbo era, take a look at these cars...

Notice anything familiar? Tyrrel then used these endplates for 1987 and Ligier had similar but now as low endplates too. Is it possible that ideas seen on older F1 cars could be used on modern F1 cars to make them faster? Another link to the past I noticed comes from the bumps on the top of the chassis, these look like they were inspired from Williams' FW13 and FW13B

And the irony is that Newey joined Williams halfway through 1990 after he was sacked by Leyton House (the year the FW13B was used).

It could be all purely coincidental, but the rear wing endplates especially look like they were inspired from the cars of the past. So if anybody else is going to dive into the past, I wonder if anybody will revive those ugly rear wings from the 1984 cars?
I think the bumps on the old williams are for suspension inside, whereas on the Redbull they are aero. Good spot on the endplates though
when was the last time that pull rod suspension was used? until the redbulls of this year?

http://www.f1technical.net/development/225

According to this article, the 2000 Arrows A21. Now that was quite a fast car on the quick circuits, particularly at the A1-Ring when Jos the Boss and De La Rosa ran 3rd and 4th most of the race. And in the wet is was quick too, particularly when the rain arrived at Canada and Jos flew through the field.
Nice spot! I guess they help direct airflow over the diffuser, depending on how far forward the lower, extended parts run... :scratchchin:
when was the last time that pull rod suspension was used? until the redbulls of this year?

http://www.f1technical.net/development/225

According to this article, the 2000 Arrows A21. Now that was quite a fast car on the quick circuits, particularly at the A1-Ring when Jos the Boss and De La Rosa ran 3rd and 4th most of the race. And in the wet is was quick too, particularly when the rain arrived at Canada and Jos flew through the field.

Interesting point, perhaps there's something in it. Though, weren't McLaren suppose to use a pull rod system. I'm not sure, but I just seem to remember someone bringing something up about it. Could be totally wrong.

Anyways, I've kept noticing that feature as well on the Red Bull, how close the rear wing is to the ground. Didn't actually notice it on Williams car though till just now. But thats definitely an interesting quirk to see. Perhaps Newey just knew from experience that it helped. Surely many designers have taken ques from old cars and considered how they could help.
This Red Bull car is so innovative, I'm afraid of what will happen when they put on a new rear diffuser. I'll be able to judge the performance of their single diffuser design against the double-decker teams in Catalunya. The Catalunya track is one of my favourites. Despite what everyone else thinks.

I think Catalunya is an interesting track, especially in terms of downforce and it is the best track to determine which car is the best. Monaco is the best track to determine which driver is the best.

Anyway, we have new diffusers on Ferrari, and McLaren have made some changes. A lot of cars have made changes. It will be good to compare the Red Bull design here just to see where they are at, before they think of redesigning the car just for a double diffuser. Whatever they have, they have it just right at the moment... :cloud9:
The bumps on the car are very interesting. I really liked this years Red Bull as soon as I saw the first pics I also think I was one of the first to stick my neck out and say it would be a very quick car. The thing that strikes me about the RBR5 is how well it is packaged such as the the pull rod suspension and low slung brake callipers all designed to bring the centre of gravity as low as possible. Then on the aerodynamics side you have the high nose with it's U shape so the Suspension pick-ups are nearly touching this is all designed to maximise the airflow to the diffuser. By far my favourite car of this year. The Brawn maybe highly developed but the Red Bull is quite clearly a piece of engineering genius.

See our F1 related articles too!