FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For computing and gaming discussion (incl. batracer)
Mine is also handling related, do the cars seem to handle differently? And are there setup options to make them do so?

And - how well do they implement the drivers and teams (ie how relestic) is it just basic stuff like brawn and redbull at the front, or more complex such as alonso rarely crashing (piquet often), vettle doing one lap qualis.
I'll try and answer both questions as best I can. At first when I played it yesterday, I found the handling incredibly tough getting used to using the steering wheel. I was all over the place, hitting barriers, going onto run-off areas etc. However, what to me is the sign of a good game is if you practice you are rewarded and this is definitely the case here. I'd say after 30-60 minutes just doing time trials around a variety of circuits I started to get the hang of it, getting used to how much movement of the wheel equates to how much movement of the car on screen. now a day later I've got it down to a tee, and can keep the car consistently on-track and hit most braking and acceleration points. There is the occasional wobble, but then that's natural as in real life if you're driving at 180+mph you'd likely have a couple of wobbles or misjudgements!! The point is, the controls seem to be consistent with the on-screen. I am certainly not all over the place with it, as many are on their youtube videos.

As for the teams at the front, it does seem fairly consistently in qualifying the Brawns and Red Bulls in keeping with the early season form. Yes you can change a variety of things set-up wise to improve the car performance, you can choose different tyre compounds, along with the usual skill settings (you can choose how good the AI is, and also steering / braking / spin control. Typically as with most games I turn off the first two and leave the TC on until I get used to it. You can turn component failure on or off too, which adds to the realism. There are a few other set-up bits and pieces you can fiddle about with, but I've not got round to doing too much yet. I'll post back once I've really had a chance to try a variety of cars to see if they behave differently or not.

Overall, I'm very pleased with it, and I would certainly say pleasantly surprised, as my expectations weren't exactly sky high before getting it!

To pick up on the component failure, is it implemented better than in previous games? Like, you'll get some warning signs before it goes and it's not too rare. I remember I've only had one failure in recent games (engine) but that was explained because I trashed it. In one of the older games, 1998 I think, I was racing around with absolutely no problems and then all of a sudden a box appeared on my screen saying "GEARBOX" and that was it. >.<
crap game

I couldn't find the 'rolls eyes' smiley otherwise I'd be using it here... Actually, I'm glad this was the 'contribution' at this stage of the thread, as due to the astonishing lack of information I went back and read the whole thread again. I think the term 'graphics snob' that I used earlier is highly appropriate... which is fine! Each to their own, and some buy their games for that reason as they love spectacular graphics such as on PS3 / XBOX360, I know plenty that do.

Me, I go for gameplay over graphics (hence I'm a mod on a sega master system forum!!!), and I don't care what anyone says - this game is highly playable and addictive. From a quick scan online, around 90% of reviews seem to agree with me...

As I say, I didn't have great expectations for this game having read about it prior to release, and also admittedly having seen the screenshots and videos as the weeks of development took place. It is possible to look past this - and the game is good.
Thank you very much for all the info there,

And its excellent this game sounds so good, the wii really needs some decent 3rd party games that use the controls to add value to a game that is already pretty good (ie not just relay on motion controls to sell the game),
:banghead:
I think you missed the point, I was hoping you'd elaborate, since if its crap cos the graphics are crap I'm not very bothered.

crap all round maybe? dont bang your head too hard, you might knock some sense into you :twisted:
:banghead:
I think you missed the point, I was hoping you'd elaborate, since if its crap cos the graphics are crap I'm not very bothered.

crap all round maybe? dont bang your head too hard, you might knock some sense into you :twisted:

ah, well anything which has having hamilton in it as its major selling point is bound to be crap :)
I broke down and got a PSP bundle with GT along with the f1 2009 game. Its gonna be a long off season and I need something to tide me over.

The unit is still charging and need to run a system upgrade before I can start playing anything. I haven't seen any PSP feedback so I will post once I am on and workin' it.

Sorry its not up to your expectations bud. Accurate Sim and Game Play are about equal with me at this point. Since I haven't played any F1 games on a pc, I feel I won't be too disappointed.

See our F1 related articles too!