FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
...and also James Allen's commentary during the ITV era of F1 coverage for the UK.

Yes, it was a hellish time. This guy was every bit as bad as Johnathan Legard. His voice was extremely annoying especially when he tried (and failed) to shout like Murray Walker in a strangled tone like Mr Bean getting his beans caught in a vice. He pretty much just said whatever was popular at the time. Spent all his time bad mouthing Ferrari and Schumacher and then named one of his offspring Enzo. Go figure!
...and also James Allen's commentary during the ITV era of F1 coverage for the UK.

Yes, it was a hellish time. This guy was every bit as bad as Johnathan Legard. His voice was extremely annoying especially when he tried (and failed) to shout like Murray Walker in a strangled tone like Mr Bean getting his beans caught in a vice. He pretty much just said whatever was popular at the time. Spent all his time bad mouthing Ferrari and Schumacher and then named one of his offspring Enzo. Go figure!

I agree. I also couldn't stand James Allen's commentary.

The worst example of it was when he ruined Jenson Button's maiden victory at Budapest '06 with his unbearable caterwauling as he crossed the line. Yuck. :thumbdown:
^ I always thought Narain has a lot of raw talent and it shows there (bottom of page 5). I think his biggest let down was lack of fitness to be honest.

I always missed the Jordan team of Heinz Harald Frentzen and Jarno Trulli. They had the best liveries, and I think at the time a very strong driver pairing, thought they were going to be contenders for Championships soon...instead, Frentzen gets fired by Eddie by fax...and then its all downhill from there.
I miss the Larrousse team...

How a dodgy guy can go years and years, of always "going broke", and turning up the next race with new sponsors and uniforms, all while running down the back, beggars belief!

Honestly though, Jordan. Loved the 7Up colours, and the battler image of 1991. Then their 1997-2000 liveries were awesome! I miss the Buzzin Hornets.....

Minardi. Poor buggers. They just went racing with no money, and seemed to love every minute of it. It was just their luck that when they finally got some decent money (Telefonica),they missed out of a good engine deal at the absolute last minute (Ford V10's to Jaguar spec).

Ligier. Just so passionately French. Helped to nurture French talent. When they lost the Renault deal to Benetton for 1995, they lost their identity somewhat, even though the Ligier-Mugen of 97 was there quickest car in well over a decade.

See our F1 related articles too!