FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
From F1 Live:

Bruno Senna this week admitted he is in promising negotiations to step up into a Formula One race drive in 2009.

The 24-year-old Brazilian, who was born mere months before his late uncle Ayrton made his own Grand Prix debut in 1984, revealed that his good opening season in GP2 has led him to talks with F1 teams.

"I guess it gave me good possibilities to go to Formula One next year," said Senna, who finished the sport's feeder series second behind champion Giorgio Pantano.

"We have been speaking with quite a few teams and there is great interest from a few of them," he told reporters at a Mercedes event in Germany.

"So there are a few opportunities as a race driver, a few as a test driver, but there is a lot of competition and I need to come ahead of the competition right now on the negotiations and see if I can get a race drive," Senna added.

It is believed that Toro Rosso - co-owned by a close friend of the Senna family, Gerhard Berger - is Senna's most promising opportunity to take up a spot on the 2009 Melbourne grid.

There are also openings at other teams, including Honda, but opportunities there are likely to be limited to test driver roles.

"Toro Rosso is one of the possibilities, not the only one, but it can make the whole difference and for sure he (Berger) still gives me great advice and help all the way," said Senna.

Source: GMM
© CAPSIS International

I personally think he needs another year in GP2.
I usually miss the GP2 race's so I'm gonna go along with your opinion Chris. To have the Senna name back in F1 will/would be great for us fans and the sport but not until he is truelly ready.
Being the Honda test driver might be a good shout, i didn't consider the Ayrton Senna - Honda relationship before and that will surely stand for something.

Another season in GP2 and being a test driver would do wonders for him - there is a hell of a lot of experience in that Honda team he could learn from.
Being the Honda test driver might be a good shout, i didn't consider the Ayrton Senna - Honda relationship before and that will surely stand for something.

Another season in GP2 and being a test driver would do wonders for him - there is a hell of a lot of experience in that Honda team he could learn from.

A test driving option sounds good. The only slight problem here is that the FIA have mileage limits, so he might not get adequate time in a Formula One car. If he were to go to Formula One, he would be best starting off in a small team where expectations aren't so high.
I agree. There is nobody who competed in the 2008 GP2 series who is ready for Formula 1 next season. It's only a matter of time, though.

In my view if Buemi and Di Grassi are capable candidates for 2009 so should Senna.
Well I think Di Grassi may be good enough - and I honestly believe he was stand out of a very average bunch last year... Buemi is useless
In my opinion Id say that Senna's career would probably be hurt if he is given his F1 break too early.
Well I think Di Grassi may be good enough - and I honestly believe he was stand out of a very average bunch last year... Buemi is useless
In my opinion Id say that Senna's career would probably be hurt if he is given his F1 break too early.

I think Senna would be best starting at a lower team, just like Ayrton did with Toleman. What I don't get about Buemi is what exactly do Toro Rosso see in him apart from the fact he is Red Bull backed? And what can he do that Senna can't? Like I've said before, Senna should be given at least a chance to test an F1 car.
As I have said in a roundabout way, if something happens too soon for somebody, they'll not be able to show their true potential. Some people would say Piquet is in this category. At the moment, di Grassi, Senna, Grosjean, Hulkenberg and what have you clearly have the talent, but not the experience. They're better going into Formula One a year too late than a year too early. Second chances don't come about a lot in Formula One. Glock is the exception rather than the rule.

I think Senna would be best starting at a lower team, just like Ayrton did with Toleman. What I don't get about Buemi is what exactly do Toro Rosso see in him apart from the fact he is Red Bull backed? And what can he do that Senna can't? Like I've said before, Senna should be given at least a chance to test an F1 car.

Well Senna has potential than Buemi so im not expecting much from him :P

See our F1 related articles too!