FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By Irv the Swerve
I have only ever known the Melbourne track and i have seen clips of Adelaide and it seems that Adelaide had the more demanding track.

I miss the long straights in the forest with hardly no front wing and the lap times were around the 1:40:00 mark, old times. :cry:
By certom
imagine when Spa will be cutted......good old times
By Irv the Swerve
Why did they cut the Adelaide track off the calendar? Is it because of finance or not good enough?
By bud
The Victorian Government (Melbournes state gov) paid Bernie more, they did this behind the South Australian governments back (Adelaides state gov) to SA's knowledge Bernie had told them the deal was safe as the only known threat was coming from the Gold Coast which would then choose Champ car.

So yeah Adelaideans already having a big rivalry with Melbourne in Football and pretty much anything and everything this just made things worse haha

having been to both grand prix although i was only young when i went to Adelaides, i can say the atmoshpere for adelaides is 10 fold,After race concerts the party atmosphere engolved the city, the track itself is only a few streets away from the CBD so the whole city was GP GP GP.
Melbournes track you need to catch a tram for about 20 minutes and then youre at the track but while youre in the city its just another even to them they have alot of international sporting events so its not a big thing. theres no afterrace concerts or any of the things adelaide used to do.

the adelaide track is still used slightly modified for the local V8 Supercar series the Clipsal 500 and even the atmosphere for that event is better than the F1 race in melbourne
By 7UpJordan
Albert Park and Adelaide are both good, but I prefered Adelaide.

Old Hockenheim by MILES. If they hadn't cut it up for 2002 we could have seen a great race as the fast circuits were the only chance for Williams to compete easily against Ferrari in that boring year.
By sonic
Adelaide definately. Old Hockenheim, Monza
By elcoat
Spa is the best for me its the only true circut left soon
all the tracks will be under 60 secs a lap
By johnbull
The original Hockenheim was brilliant - even before the chicanes.

Spa is still great. The old Monza was great too, as was Silverstone before they butchered every single corner.

They call it progress. I call it MONEY.
By lil_nath1989
i dont have anything against Melbourne i think its a reasonably good circuit even though adelaide is good 2, its close to call which is better out of them to as i dont know the adelaide track as much as melbourne.

As far as hockenheim goes definently the old one is better, i reckon that its a boring track now hockenheim since that.
By Whitehead
Old Hockenheim definately. Both Adelaide and Melbourne are decent tracks, but I like Melbourne being the opening track. Last season just felt wrong.
Old Hockenheim definitely looked more spectacular, with those massive, long blasts through the forest, but the new one is also good. Its reputation suffers because it will always be compared to its previous incarnation. However, the new circuit is more challenging for the driver and STILL has ample overtaking opportunities. The old Hockenheim was more of a test of car, rather than driver.

Both Adelaide and Melbourne have been terrific circuits. However, Adelaide has been and gone, and Melbourne did no shabby job in emerging from Adelaide's shadow. I have no reason to not want Melbourne on the calendar. My only hope is that it gets kept as the season opener, but I doubt that, because Bahrain seems to have bullied its way there. :(
By andrew
The old Hockenheim was unique. It was a true test of engine strength and durability, but best of all it stood out, was memorable and it got me (as a fan) excited in the same way that I get excited by Spa or Monza. The new layout whilst being ok as any other circuit, is a shaddow of what Hockenheim used to be. Sadly Hockenheim is just another circuit. :(
The old Hockenheim was unique. It was a true test of engine strength and durability, but best of all it stood out, was memorable and it got me (as a fan) excited in the same way that I get excited by Spa or Monza. The new layout whilst being ok as any other circuit, is a shaddow of what Hockenheim used to be. Sadly Hockenheim is just another circuit. :(

My wish is that Monza and Spa both STAY on the calendar and STAY as they are. The worst thing ever would be to alter the layouts of both circuits or remove them altogether.

See our F1 related articles too!