FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By Ferrarista
Jean Alesi might not have won that much, he's still in all Ferrarista- hearts.
He always has been one of my favourite drivers just because he was full of emotions, what a temperament!

I don't know if he was WC- material, I doubt it. But I do know he deserved much more than one victory.
Anyway, that day in Canada, with the famous nr. 27 , on his birthday ... at the Gilles Villeneuve track...something very special happened. Amazing

Forza Jean 'Avignon' Alesi !!! :D 4ever
By McLaren Fan
To bad it was never to be he should have gone to Williams and then in something like 98 he shouold have joined Schumacher at Ferrari and then who knows what would have happened and he most likely got a lot more than 1 victory.

Schumacher would never have allowed Alesi to challenge him. Alesi would have been lucky to win a couple of races in a season.
I don't know if he was WC- material, I doubt it. But I do know he deserved much more than one victory.

I feel he was world championship material. At a more competitive team, he would have been forced to control his emotions a little more and become a better Grand Prix driver. He had all of the raw materials. In less competitive cars, there was not the same pressure on him to do that, so he could be a bit more of a free spirit. You also have to remember that his best years were wasted in rubbish cars and not getting into Formula One until later than most people.
By f1 shoemaker
Schumacher would never have allowed Alesi to challenge him. Alesi would have been lucky to win a couple of races in a season.

True but remember Schumacher had to go break his leg when he went flying off at Stowe corner at Silverstone 1999. Alesi might have had a chance when schuey was out.

Suppose we'll never know will we.
By Ferrarista
To bad it was never to be he should have gone to Williams and then in something like 98 he shouold have joined Schumacher at Ferrari and then who knows what would have happened and he most likely got a lot more than 1 victory.

I feel he was world championship material. At a more competitive team, he would have been forced to control his emotions a little more and become a better Grand Prix driver. He had all of the raw materials. In less competitive cars, there was not the same pressure on him to do that, so he could be a bit more of a free spirit. You also have to remember that his best years were wasted in rubbish cars and not getting into Formula One until later than most people.

That's also true, I agree with your point of view. Maybe with the good surrounding.
Mh, we will never know. Let's just remember him as the last true pilot with an amazing temperament ! :P

See our F1 related articles too!