FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
By EwanM
Crap news - Vauxhall are going to be the only manufacturers left in the sport. Let us hope another car company comes in - something like MG or that.

And what will happen to Plato and Turner. I mean sure im guessing those cars can be bought and ran by a private team, yet that's not really the point.

SEAT to leave series at end of 2008

By Jamie O'Leary Thursday, September 11th 2008, 13:53 GMT

SEAT have decided to withdraw from the British Touring Car Championship at the end of the season.

The Spanish manufacturer says the budget allocated for race activities in UK will now be spent on 'enhancing SEAT's sporty and stylish image through other marketing activities.'

Scott Dennis, boss of SEAT Sport UK, said: "There's no doubting that SEAT and SEAT Sport UK have made a huge impact on the BTCC during our five seasons.

"Our roll call of drivers, Rob Huff, James Thompson, Luke Hines, James Pickford and Tom Coronel, as well as current duo Darren Turner and Jason Plato, have helped secure the 2006 Manufacturers' Trophy, the 2007 Teams' Trophy, as well as the first ever win for a diesel car in the 50-year history of the Championship with this year's Leon TDI.

"Of course, the SEAT Sport UK team has been essential in securing these successes, and I'd like to extend a huge thank you to everyone who has contributed. In particular I'd like to thank Grant Clearwater and Ian Fisher (of Northern South Limited - who run the Leon TDIs) for their unwavering professionalism throughout our relationship with them.

"I'd also like to thank Jason and Darren for their commitment to SEAT Sport UK. Jason in particular has been a consistent strength of the team from our first season in 2004, as well as a front runner in both this and last year's season. Like all of the other SEAT BTCC drivers, he and Darren have also been great brand ambassadors."

Since joining the BTCC in 2004, SEAT have racked up 43 wins so far, leaving them equal with Jaguar as the sixth most successful marque in series history. Plato has finished as runner-up in the championship for the past two seasons, last year only losing out to Fabrizio Giovanardi in the race for the title at the final round.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70472
Hmm. That's disappointing.
Isn't it weird how privateers now dominate the BTCC compared to 10 years ago when the top runners were manufacturers and look how the tables have turned now especially in comparison with F1.
By scotty
Isn't it weird how privateers now dominate the BTCC compared to 10 years ago when the top runners were manufacturers and look how the tables have turned now especially in comparison with F1.

They were great times. It's gonna be crap, or at least the championship will be if there's only one works manufacturer team, but who knows, maybe BMW (Alfa Romeo would be sweet) will put a team out.
That is very sad new's atleast I got too watch SEAT race a few time's before those a-hole's at SPEED TV decided to pull their coverage of the BTCC, I love that serie's. :(
By EwanM
damn it! seat were my fav team in the btcc,

thats that then!

Well I wouldn't throw in the towel in terms of the BTCC.
I remember the glory days of Vauxhall, Ford, Peugoet, Honda, Renault, Audi and Volvo all fighting for wins.
But It seems to have done the complete opposite to say F1 and become a team based series.
There are still going to be a number of BMW's in the field, as are the Honda civics and Vauxhalls so we're not losing too much.
Hopefully somebody buys the Seats and runs them privately. As I said previously they need to try and convince another team to enter. Sadly Chevrolet is off as they are part of GM group with Vauxhall. Need to see, sadly the credit crunch may come back to bite the BTCC. As long as we don't go back to 2001... yuck
By scotty
It's definately necessary to have another manufacturer, otherwise Vauxhall will dominate...

If Ford enter, maybe they can get Mansell on the go again with red 55, that was probably the best race i have ever witnessed!!
It's definately necessary to have another manufacturer, otherwise Vauxhall will dominate...

If Ford enter, maybe they can get Mansell on the go again with red 55, that was probably the best race i have ever witnessed!!

Yes get the old gang back, I reckon Tim Harvey will still be able to produce the goods, and dig out some old classic Touring Cars from the past 20 years like Ford Sierra Cosworths, Rover SD1's, the family hatchback Volvo's that Rikard Rydell used to drive etc. And make the opening round the Birmingham Superprix. ;)
By EwanM
im just hoping that halfords,rac,jackson and maybe the motorbase will give vauxhall a really hard time

Well Mike Jordan has retired and is selling/sold his integras.
Amazingly his team have managed to get a hold of a current spec Vauxhall Vectra and they are going to run Andrew in it.
That's gonna give Andrew Jordan one hell of a chance to win some races next year.

See our F1 related articles too!