FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss your own car, automotive news and latest supercar launches.
By Mikep99

Ferrari 206 S Dino Berlinetta Competizione
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/3713/Ferrari-206-S-Dino-Berlinetta-Competizione.html
What to do with an obsolete sports racing car? In the old days they were sold to customers for road use, either with a full account of the car's history or refurbished and restamped as a brand new car. In the mid 1960s the racing cars had become so advanced that they no longer formed a suitable basis for a practical road car. This left the likes of Ferrari with few options, although fortunately by then the first collectors had taken an interest in the often very successful competition cars. A few examples were also handed to Maranello's preferred design house Pininfarina to be rebodied with a fresh new design. The Ferrari shown above has gone through this exact route and served both as a factory racing car at Le Mans and in a second coming as a Pininfarina show car at Frankfurt.

The history of the 'Yellow Dino' starts at Ferrari's annual pre-season press conference early in 1966. There the wraps were taken off the company's new racing cars, which included the V6 engined 206 S Dino. Based on a prototype racer campaigned with considerably success in 1965, this compact racing car was intended for use in the two litre sports car class, which required a production run of at least 50 examples for homologation. The new car was shown alongside the Ferrari 330 P3, which was designed to take outright victories. For all intents and purposes the 206 S Dino was a 330 P3 cut in half, sharing its basic engine design with six instead of twelve cylinders. While production got under way, the factory extensively campaigned the cars, but the Dino struggled in the prototype class. Numerous strikes slowed production down and by early 1967 it was obvious that by the time enough examples were produced, the car would long be obsolete. Ferrari abandoned the program and instead focused on reclaiming Le Mans from Ford after the shattering defeat a year earlier.

By the time the project was abandoned just over a dozen cars were completed and these were gradually sold off to privateer racers and collectors. The 17th (034) and 18th (036) chassis were presumably never fitted with the very elegant body crafted by Piero Drogo's Carrozzeria Sports Cars. Chassis 034 was equipped with an engine used at Le Mans in 1966 (the scruteneering stamp is still visible today) and shipped to Pininfarina with a regular production Ferrari production car serial number (10523). Even though Turin based coachbuilder was in the process of putting the final touches on a Dino production road car, they decided to create a completely different design for what would become their third Dino show car. Appointment to pen the design was a very young Paolo Martin, who previously worked for Michelotti and Bertone despite being only 23 years old at the time. No doubt inspired by Ferrari's sports racers, he drew a very elegant shape including large oval shaped headlights and gull-wing doors. Reflecting a new trend in racing, large adjustable wings were added to the nose and tail of the car. Even though Martin did not like them much, they made the '206 S Dino Berlinetta Competizione' instantly recognisable.

Transformed from a sketch on a sheet of paper to a fully functioning show car, the Dino Competizione was unveiled in the fall of 1967 at the bi-annual Frankfurt motor show. Needless to say it was one of the stars of the show and has remained as one of the great designs of the 1960s. Shortly after the 'Yellow Dino' made the headlines, the elegant round shapes were abandoned in favour of sharper lines eventually culminating in the 'wedge' craze of the 70s. In the following decades the Dino Competizione was one of the highlights of Pininfarina's massive collection and only shown at very few occasions. At those rare outings the company's representatives must have been asked for the price many times by the wealthiest of enthusiasts. The answer was always simple; the car is not for sale. American collector Jim Glickenhaus was among those enquiring about the Yellow Dino and his desire must have grown each time he was at the Pininfarina factory to oversee the birth of his Ferrari P4/5. Finally after five years, the Italians decided that Jim would be a great caretaker for the one-off show car.

Before Jim could take delivery of the latest additions, the car was completely stripped and cleaned at Pininfarina, carefully preserving the machine's absolutely original condition. The process was overseen by Jim's mechanic Salvatore Barrone, giving him an in-depth understanding of the car for future maintenance. Various safety devices were included to make sure the car could be registered for road use. New wheels, shock absorbers and seats were created to make the driving a little more comfortable. All new additions were designed in such a way that they could be fitted and taken out without damaging the car. In the final days before being handed over to Jim, the 206 S Dino Berlinetta Competizione was test both on the track and in the Pininfarina wind tunnel. The car performed great on the track, while in the tunnel it showed similarities with a ''truck'' to quote Jim. The wings were found to function, a little too good actually and were trimmed a little to create less downforce.

The Yellow Dino was shown to the public for the first in Jim's ownership during the 2008 Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este. Like 30 years earlier, it was one of the absolute stars and received many admiring looks. Designer Paolo Martin was reunited with the car he still considers his favourite. Apart from the obvious reasons for acquiring the Dino Competizione show car, Jim explained to us that he believes that if a ''car stays in a museum, it does not exist.'' In the coming months the car will take part in the Targa Florio retrospective and shown during the Quail, a Motorsports gathering in August.

By texasmr2
Jim is truelly a nice guy and he has a few other cars that he has acquired that he has not yet shown everyone yet they are historically significant Ferrari's. I asked him to adopt me but he said get inline Gregg behind the other thousand's of request I have for that :hehe: .
By McLaren Fan
It's a great looking machine. Slightly off topic, but I was expecting to see the Dino 308 GT4, which is also great looking:

By darwin dali
What's with the wires to the rear wing? To adjust the wing in-flight?
By texasmr2

I will ask Jim as he should know.
By welshie
yes yellow . . . boooo to red :nono:
By Mikep99
Jim is truelly a nice guy and he has a few other cars that he has acquired that he has not yet shown everyone yet they are historically significant Ferrari's. I asked him to adopt me but he said get inline Gregg behind the other thousand's of request I have for that :hehe: .

You have some good freinds mate :thumbup:
By texasmr2
I have never met Jim in person but I have spoken with him several time's. Remember the brochure pic's I posted of his P4/5 awhile back? I had asked him where I could find more pics of the car on the web and he took the time to personaly mail me those brochure's along with a warm/friendly letter.

Anyway enough about me and I will add that Jim is the epitome of a true Ferrari enthusiast who has the financial means to persue his passion. It is very comforting to know that the Dino found a new home where it will be cared for as if it was still in a museum but Jim also drives his cars which is awesome!
By Mikep99
This same site had a story on the P4/5 as well.
But I don't think it's your mates. How many of these beauties are there ??

Ferrari P4/5 by Pininfarina
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/2830/Ferrari-P4-5--by-Pininfarina.html

In the first sixty years of the 20th century, the many Italian ‘Carrozzerias’ specialized in designing and building custom bodies for the world’s finest chassis. After the Second World War, even the most exclusive manufacturers started series production. Gradually the likes of Pininfarina and Bertone changed their business as coachbuilders to design consultants for manufacturers. Production of low volume models like convertibles are frequently outsourced to these Carrozzerias as well. The most exciting work for the design houses became the design and construction of one-off show cars, which are usually a good sign of future styling directions. Fortunately, the art of custom coachbuilding was not entirely lost as the demands of the richest enthusiasts are regularly catered for. Italy’s Pininfarina has a special department set up for these custom requests and in the past decades did a lot of work for the brother of the Sultan of Brunei. Sadly all this work was done in secrecy and few of these creations were ever seen in public. Earlier this year American collector Peter Kalikow and Pininfarina took the wraps of the highly customized Ferrari 612 Kappa, showcasing the company’s capabilities very well. Long before this unveiling, fellow American James Glickenhaus dropped off his 1967 Ferrari 330 P3/4 and a Ferrari Enzo with the request of combining the P3/4’s styling with the Enzo’s mechanicals; the best of both worlds.

In the following months, he traveled to Turin many times to supervise the design process to make sure everything complied with his wishes. Already at the cutting edge, the Enzo mechanicals needed no work, but every body panel and most of the interior was discarded. To make sure the custom creation worked as well as it looked, a full size plastic wind tunnel model was constructed and fitted on the Enzo chassis for extensive wind tunnel testing. At around this time (January 2006), Glickenhaus revealed the first details of his project on a variety of web forums. The story was quickly picked up by the mainstream media and many artist impressions of a ‘modern 330 P3/4’ appeared. None of them came close to the car taking shape at Pininfarina, but Glickenhaus managed to keep any real drawings and pictures from the public eye. Just a few days before the prospected release, in the second half of July, images from an upcoming article were scanned and leaked. One of the first things revealed was the cars new name; Ferrari P4/5 by Pininfarina. Yes, Ferrari gave their full permission to use the name and badges for this one-off and even offered to give technical support. This could very well have been the result of Ferrari liking what they saw and Glickenhaus’ expressed desire to use the design and name strictly for a one-off.

A combination of Glickenhaus’ design ideas and wind tunnel work resulted in a car that can only be described as a modern interpretation of the Ferrari 330 P3/4. Where Pininfarina’s Enzo design is very angular, the new shape penned down for the P4/5 has classic round shapes. This by no means compromised the performance with the wind tunnel tests showing lower drag figures with similar downforce figures compared to the ‘function over form’ Enzo. The active underbody aerodynamics of the Enzo were retained. The obvious design cues taken over from the Ferrari P3/4 are the fenders, air-intakes and ducktail. An addition to the design theme is the high location of the exhaust pipes, previously only seen on Formula 1 racers. The interior also received the ‘Glickenhaus touch’ with a Ipod Nano stereo, world wide GPS, on board gas generation fire system, improved AC-system, full roll cage and exposed carbon fibre throughout. Of course the seats are fully custom made covered in bespoke fabric. Despite all these changes, Pininfarina’s engineers have managed to shave almost 200 kg off the Enzo’s weight with the P4/5 weighing in at 1200 kg. So recapping Glickenhaus efforts have resulted in a better looking, more efficient and lighter version of the Enzo.

In July 2006 the P4/5 was completed, although still in primer, and the happy owner could take it out on the Autostrada for the first time. One of his thoughts after the brief test drive was: ''P4/5 pulls away and vanishes into the distance like an F 16 launching from a carrier deck.'' Pininfarina and Glickenhaus finally took the wraps off the P4/5 at a cocktail party in the Gooding auctions tent on the Friday before the Pebble Beach Concours.

By texasmr2
That IS Jim's P4/5 and that is the ONLY one in existence with Ferrari's approval and a registered S/N. If you read the article all the way through you will notice the Glickenhaus name mentioned a few time's and that is Jim's last name :wink: .
Here is a video of Jim talking about his Lola, GT40 and Ferrari P4/5,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfjWwGPtAls
By Mikep99
That IS Jim's P4/5 and that is the ONLY one in existence with Ferrari's approval and a registered S/N. If you read the article all the way through you will notice the Glickenhaus name mentioned a few time's and that is Jim's last name :wink: .
Here is a video of Jim talking about his Lola, GT40 and Ferrari P4/5,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfjWwGPtAls

What a collection :cloud9:
By texasmr2

I will ask Jim as he should know.

Just recieved a reply from Jim and he say's the wire/cables are strictly for show and have no function although the rear wing is adjustable.

Gregg
By darwin dali
Thanks for clearing this up, Gregg.
Strikes me as odd though to have some useless wires hanging out... :confused:

See our F1 related articles too!