FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss your own car, automotive news and latest supercar launches.
By Mikep99
I seriously think you would have to be a big fool to fall for it :banghead:

Faking supercars?
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080819/FREE/815812549/1506/THISWEEKSISSUE

In an unglamorous garage in London stands a fake 1967 Ferrari P4. The P4, Ferrari experts assure me, is one of the most beautiful Ferraris ever, with all of its curves in the right places. It also is one of the most expensive models in the Ferrari stable (estimated value: $15 million). Only three were ever made, but I own No. 4.

Fakes are my specialty. In the course of my work, I managed to meet with New York police commissioner Raymond Kelly, President Manuel Barroso of the European Union and high-kick wizard Jackie Chan. On each occasion, I dressed to impress: Armani suit, Alfred Dunhill shirt, Versace tie, Ferragamo belt, Louis Vuitton shoes, Givenchy socks. The commissioner wanted to arrest me, the president thought I was certifiable and Chan tore my outfit to shreds kung-fu-style and left me facing the press in my underpants. My entire ensemble was fake, and these gentlemen do not take kindly to counterfeits. Neither do I.

For the last 20 years, my job as an intellectual property lawyer has taken me from Paraguay's Ciudad del Este to Guangdong Province in China to Manhattan's Canal Street as I search for pirates of counterfeit goods.

Counterfeits often are associated with shady street vendors peddling imperfect copies. But in the last 18 months, I have witnessed a paradigm shift in the manufacturing of fakes. It is still only a ripple, but is set to become a tsunami. It will change the face of manufacturing and retailing, and it is fueled by a leap in technological engineering.

The story begins with the curvaceous Ferrari. I first learned of the car's existence after our investigators were tipped off during a counterfeit-watch investigation in central Thailand. Instead of timepieces, they found fake Ferraris, Lamborghinis and Lotuses. "Hogwash," I told the lead investigator when I got the report. Counterfeit supercars? Not possible. Their pride at stake, they returned to the workshop in the dead of night and sneaked a series of eye-popping pictures, which they sent to me in London.

I was intrigued. As a gearhead, I felt bound to broaden the scope of the investigation and asked the investigators to try to track down other cases. They found a factory in northeast China, which claimed to produce modern sports cars. Could they manufacture me a Mercedes-Benz SLR, I asked, even though it was not listed in their full-picture catalog? Within three days, I received a reply: No problem. I decided to raise the bar. How about a Maybach? The answer came back two days later by way of a question: Would I like a long or a short wheelbase?

But here's the problem with these fake cars: The gas tank could explode, the brakes might fail, the steering wheel is rickety, and, I am sad to report, the famous Ferrari red on my P4 is starting to peel. (By the way, I should make it clear that conscience keeps me from driving it, as well as the certain knowledge that my boss would kill me should I give in to the temptation of taking it for a spin.)

So, why has there been such a sudden surge and vast proliferation of almost copy-perfect fakes in the last 18 months?

First, there are two types of counterfeits. At the bottom of the pile, you find "genuine fakes." We are talking about the knock-off luxury watch, which, until recently, was sold on the street corners of New York, Milan and Hong Kong. Genuine fakes typically are made and sold by mom-and-pop enterprises. Both seller and buyer know the product is fake. A $20 Rolex? Yeah, right.

But a whole new wave of second-generation counterfeits has emerged: "digital fakes." The advent of digital technology has made perfect copies possible by the touch of a button on a keyboard. Never has copying been so easy, so quick and at such a high level. Digital fakes are immaculate in their appearance. Their packaging is superb and typically includes warranty cards of such high standard that they fool experts. Only upon closer scientific testing can the differences be distinguished between original and imitation.

I first came across this new way of producing fakes about a year ago, during a raid on a factory in southern China. In the midst of all the commotion--raids are noisy and disorganized and happen really fast--I spotted, quite by chance, a stack of innocuous-looking software disks. After analyzing them, we discovered that the counterfeiters had made smart use of digital technology and laser scanners to reverse-engineer highly complicated mechanical watches.

I was so fascinated by this ingenious use of technology that I visited Minolta's laser-scanner labs after my return home. I will never forget the moment I was invited to remove my watch from my wrist and place it on the laser-scanner turnstile. Within five minutes, eerily, a picture-perfect 3-D digital version of the outside contours of my watch was produced: the ultimate, undetectable copy.

Armed with this knowledge, our investigators in Hong Kong tracked and traced the sources of the software-not to China, surprisingly, but to Singapore, Taiwan and Hong Kong. The crime syndicates in these locations are "outsourcing" their counterfeit manufacturing to the less expensive labor markets of China, Vietnam and Thailand.

And Asia should not be singled out. Organized-crime groups in other parts of the globe also have joined the digital-fake revolution. Not just censored and luxury goods but every product known to mankind, including supercars, can be and is being perfectly copied. This is sure to have profound implications for many industries, including automobile manufacturing, in the future.

Buyer beware, indeed.
By Rob-F1
There was a massive problem with this with the Ferrari 355... loads of people were buying 355 bodykits and putting them on their normal cars.
By McLaren Fan
There was a massive problem with this with the Ferrari 355... loads of people were buying 355 bodykits and putting them on their normal cars.

Yip. They looked just as good and cost about 8% of the price. :hehe:
By Rob-F1
Someone would of surely realised that it was fake due to the fact they could outdrag it in a striaght line. :hehe:
By 7UpJordan
I remember on Top Gear a few years ago Hammond talked about a guy based somewhere in the West Midlands who modified a bog-standard-nothing-special sportscar into looking like a Ferrari. When he came round to getting some insurance for the car, he managed to get a good price because now it was technically a kit car as a result of the modifications he made.
By Mikep99
Enzo Reventon anyone??

WTF :yikes:

By scotty
Ugh, supercar bodykits for your Ford Fiesta... :rofl:

People who buy these deserve to be shot.
By Mikep99
ImageImage

ImageImage

Ferrari Enzo replica!
http://www.autogespot.com/en/categorie/33/item/244/ferrari-enzo-replica!/
A few weeks ago we’ve reported about a Dutch Ferrari Enzo for sale. This wonderful Italian supercar won’t come cheap. You should have a bank account with at least €700,000. But now we’ve found a much cheaper Enzo. For about €5,000 you can be the proud owner of this real Italian sportscar.

The Enzo is a real supercar, the lines, wonderful sound. When you see or hear the car you immediately know this must be a supercar. The color on this Enzo isn’t the usual Ferrari Red, this time “Corvette Red” has been used, something different. The upwards opening doors, F1 style nose, the brutal V12 with powerfilter that is just inches behind the red and grey seats. At the large cupholders and wonderful alloy rims and you’ve got yourself a nice Enzo.

The only thing missing is the Ferrari logo on front of the car. But you do get some extras. A nice roofscoop, it is also possible to go off-road with this Enzo. As you can see the car has enough ground clearance. You’ll also get a large boot, this turns the Enzo into a nice shopping car.

Some of you might have realised that the text above is a bit sarcastic, it isn’t a real Enzo. This car is a replica based on a 1986 Pontiac Fiero. The engine cover might tell you it’s a V12, but you just get the normal V6. This engine is connected to an automatic gearbox, so you won’t get any “flippers” behind the steering wheel. Inside you’ll find a digital dash and the old Fiero seats. Some guy called Jim is the owner of this remarkable ride. According to Jim there are to many features on this car to list them all. Every time he drives this car people start staring at him. The handling of this replica should be like a go-kart, hard to imagine for a car sits this high on its wheels. Only people who make a test drive in this ride can confirm this. So if someone has driven this pleas let share your experience with us.
If you can’t afford a real Enzo this could be a nice alternative. Jim would like to receive $7,500 this is around %5,000. Not much for a real Enzo replica. So are you interested in this “wonderful” replica just contact Jim.
By scotty
Imagine if you were driving that piece of crap around, then someone rocked up next to you with a real Enzo! :rofl:

The thing that gets me is why try and copy existing supercars and pretty much guarantee yourself a complete fail, when these people obviously have the means to create a whole new body kit of their own?!?!
By Mikep99

these guys thought they paid for a Hummer! suckers!!!!!

:thumbup: looks better than that enzo
By Mikep99
Woody creates the first DIY Lamborghini
Woody, the super cool mechanic has designed a DIY Lamborghini and he isn’t a damn rich guy. If it looks too fantastic, read on. He seems to have used all the right concepts and built this super cool Lamborghini that is still at the concept stage. Since it is a Do It Yourself product, it doesn’t take much money and also, you wouldn’t have to wait till the product comes out in the market. All you have to do is follow the instructions and get on with building your very own Lamborghini. Thanks to Woody, owning a luxury Italian car became so easy.

By McLaren Fan
:yikes:

See our F1 related articles too!