FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss your own car, automotive news and latest supercar launches.
By texasmr2
!!
Well since this thread has become 'so off topic' I would like to add a video of my all time favorite Group B rally car:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF42LszR27Q

Yeah, it looked good too. The Group B days were the best. The WRC, like Formula 1, has been tamed a little bit too much. :(

I'm not too sure about that, the modern cars are faster than the old group B cars were.

You once again have proved your ignorance. :rolleyes:
By welshie
!!
Well since this thread has become 'so off topic' I would like to add a video of my all time favorite Group B rally car:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF42LszR27Q

Yeah, it looked good too. The Group B days were the best. The WRC, like Formula 1, has been tamed a little bit too much. :(

I'm not too sure about that, the modern cars are faster than the old group B cars were.

You once again have proved your ignorance. :rolleyes:

Bollox, yes the old cars were powerful, but power isn't everything. The reason I know this is because I know the technology that goes into the new cars, and over a special stage the new cars are now faster. I actually watched a WRC programme which was about the best cars over the hisory of the sport, and Ari Vatanen who drove the Group B cars was saying that the new cars are faster . . . and he SHOULD know. My ignorance?! :nono:

However McLarenFan is right in another way, the really tough old stages have now been scrapped, so it is a little tamer in a way
By texasmr2
You may be right as the new course's are not what they used to be. :)
By McLaren Fan
The reasons think the WRC has been tamed are the following: First, a number of the old stages have been removed. Therefore, the challenge to the drivers is decreased. Second, power is not the only thing that makes a car go fast, but it's certainly more tricky for a driver to handle. By reducing the power from 700bhp to about 350bhp, you are removing further skill from the sport. Third, and linked to the previous point, is that although power has been reduced, new technology in tyres, suspension etc. means that current breed of WRC cars are faster than the old Group B ones, but, again, this new technology makes it easier for the drivers. Forth, as power has been reduced, it means the cars don't sound anywhere near as good, which I think is part of the spectacle of motor racing. As I've as much as said, making things easier for the drivers and removing the more challenging stages also makes the sport less entertaining to watch. So, as you can see, speed is not everything either. The older cars may take another ten seconds to do a stage, but they were a hell of a lot more exciting to watch and were a much greater challenge for the drivers to control.
By scotty
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=hEK7POxpVeE

They should release an album of this stuff. Audi Quattro: the greatest rally car ever.

Thanks for that link, all the Group B cars were great but the Quattro sounds almighty there :thumbup:

Seeing as everyone is raving about Group B cars, i must give a mention to the Metro 6R4, a car that's all the more brilliant given the pile of crap it's based on!
By texasmr2
I also loved the Metro 6R4, I guess it's about time I pullout some old Group B rally video's and relive the good times and sounds. :thumbup:.
By Irv the Swerve
You have all named my favs Audi, T16, Delta....heres a few more 8-):)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

See our F1 related articles too!