FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss your own car, automotive news and latest supercar launches.
By 7UpJordan
I wonder where British Leyland would have fit in amongst the family tree back in the day?
By madbrad
HAHA they're all related, no wonder their offspring are all defective!!
By darwin dali
The Russians are missing and also the Indian Tata who now own Landrover, Jaguar and Daewoo.
By What's Burning?
Since it's a long slow non race weekend I was going to start a post on automobile logo design until I found this thread, although I wanted to talk more about design aesthetics than the history of the logos.

I'd like to know what your favorites are and why.

My three favorite logos are;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By darwin dali
Surprised you didn't list Porsche...

I like BMW's for it's simplicity. Chevrolet is pretty iconic, too, derived from the Swiss cross :)
By What's Burning?
I can remain objective. From a design standpoint, Porsche's logo is ok, just too busy for my taste. There are some horrible horrible ones... like Mazda and Toyota.
By madbrad
They came up with the Ford oval so that when you have a mechanical issue, you'll find the root problem circled, to save time.

There's no basis to say it will be on the cars in 100 years. They only started putting them on in 1982. The Mustang had to wait until 83, and the Thunderbird didn't get it or any Ford identification at all until 89.
By darwin dali
They came up with the Ford oval so that when you have a mechanical issue, you'll find the root problem circled, to save time.

There's no basis to say it will be on the cars in 100 years. They only started putting them on in 1982. The Mustang had to wait until 83, and the Thunderbird didn't get it or any Ford identification at all until 89.

Can one circle with an oval? :P
By What's Burning?

Can one circle with an oval? :P

It all depends on how you look at it. :D
By texasmr2
Surprised you didn't list Porsche...

I like BMW's for it's simplicity. Chevrolet is pretty iconic, too, derived from the Swiss cross :)

Yes I find it aswell to be simple and direct and also very clean in a non-confusing manner. Hint to all the other manufacturer's keep it simple yet expressive.
By The_Stig_Money
Why do Ferrari and Porsche have the same prancing horse?

Auto makers should spend more time on there cars then there logos.
By bud
Why do Ferrari and Porsche have the same prancing horse?

Auto makers should spend more time on there cars then there logos.

I believe the horse on Porsches logo is Stuttgarts emblem.

I dont mind GM Holdens logo.
By Fred_C_Dobbs
One critical error, Hazel Chapman knows why husband Colin chose the name 'Lotus' but being as she hasn't yet, it's unlikely she ever will reveal the answer. If Clive knows, he's not talking either, and likely won't until his after mother's death.

One critical omission, Ferruccio Lamborghini's sign of the Zodiac was Taurus, hence the fascination with bulls. After a tiff with Enzo Ferrari over a clutch gone bad in Ferruccio's own Ferrari, he started his own car company and swore to drive Ferrari out of business. In the arena, the horse is easy prey for the charging bull so Ferruccio thought the symbolism was apropos. A great many of his cars were/are named for breeds of Spanish bulls bred specifically for the ring or for a single famous fighting bull.

Ferrari's prancing stallion was adapted from the nose art of an Italian nobleman and WWI fighter pilot.

The Dodge car company's original logo was a Star of David, but none of the Dodge brothers were Jewish.
By texasmr2
One critical error, Hazel Chapman knows why husband Colin chose the name 'Lotus' but being as she hasn't yet, it's unlikely she ever will reveal the answer. If Clive knows, he's not talking either, and likely won't until his after mother's death.

One critical omission, Ferruccio Lamborghini's sign of the Zodiac was Taurus, hence the fascination with bulls. After a tiff with Enzo Ferrari over a clutch gone bad in Ferruccio's own Ferrari, he started his own car company and swore to drive Ferrari out of business. In the arena, the horse is easy prey for the charging bull so Ferruccio thought the symbolism was apropos. A great many of his cars were/are named for breeds of Spanish bulls bred specifically for the ring or for a single famous fighting bull.

Ferrari's prancing stallion was adapted from the nose art of an Italian nobleman and WWI fighter pilot.

The Dodge car company's original logo was a Star of David, but none of the Dodge brothers were Jewish.

I luv Wiki :D:thumbup: .

See our F1 related articles too!