FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Dedicated to technical discussion...
By scotty
If it's not mandatory, then clearly no one is going to bother for at least a couple of seasons imo... :P
I understand DC's concern's but I have a question, is KERS a mandatory or voluntary device for '09?

Is Formula One biggest gurn at his handiwork again? :yawn:
If Coulthard had been racing around 30 years ago he would have been moaning about Renault's turbocharged engine and Lotus' ground effects.
I understand DC's concern's but I have a question, is KERS a mandatory or voluntary device for '09?

Yes he is.

Yes he is.

:yes::curse:
By bud
Its not mandatory at all for 09 it is in 2010!
if teams can make gains with it as in make faster lap times despite the extra weight it causes then they will use it.

teams have hinted that they might not run it next year if they are faster without it. For example McLaren is toying with developing 2 cars one with and without KERS depending on the lap times with and without it
if teams can make gains with it as in make faster lap times despite the extra weight it causes then they will use it.

teams have hinted that they might not run it next year if they are faster without it. For example McLaren is toying with developing 2 cars one with and without KERS depending on the lap times with and without it

Could a team have two cars and enter a KERS car in some races and in some races they enter the car without?
By EwanM

Could a team have two cars and enter a KERS car in some races and in some races they enter the car without?

Yes, team bosses have talked about not using KERS for some races next year (wasn't it Whitmarsh?) due to it only giving a limited advantage atm

Surely all the leading cars will be designed around the system next year, but yeah.
By bud

i dont see why not, theres no homologation or freeze for that part of the car infact that part is wide open to design interpretation!
The teams desperate for KERS to come along are Honda and Williams. If they can get it to work properly (which is possible as they've got the innovative minds of Ross Brawn and Patrick Head respectively to count on) they could be a force to be reckoned with next year, especially at any fast races that require heavy breaking (Montreal?).
i dont see why not, theres no homologation or freeze for that part of the car infact that part is wide open to design interpretation!

I'm calling it now KERS will be the next big scandal since it's design is 'wide open to design interpretation'. :D
By f1usa

Wouldn't a car without KERS have to add extra weight to equal the minimum weight of a KERS car.

Wouldn't a car without KERS have to add extra weight to equal the minimum weight of a KERS car.

Yes. The ballast, however, would be moveable, so it could give the team a small advantage in terms of weight distribution.
Here are his remarks, as reported by autosport.com:

Coulthard: KERS timescale 'pretty tight'

By Pablo Elizalde Monday, July 28th 2008, 09:45 GMT

David Coulthard, 2008David Coulthard reckons the timescale to get the KERS system ready in time for the start of the 2009 season is "pretty tight".

Formula One's ruling body, the FIA, plans to introduce the KERS (Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems) from next year and some teams have already started running with it.

There have been concerns, however, about the chances of it being ready for the start of 2009, with development having proved tricky so far.

Red Bull suffered a scare with one of the systems in their factory, while a BMW Sauber mechanic was injured when he was electrocuted after he touched a car during testing at Jerez.

And Coulthard believes teams are running a tight schedule to have their systems ready in time.

"As has been well documented elsewhere, there are concerns about isolating the electrical charge that is stored within the car and the volatility of the chemicals used in the lithium batteries," Coulthard wrote in his column for ITV.

"Formula One is all about the technical challenge, but usually the risk is limited to the drivers. Quite clearly KERS has opened up another area.

"You can bury your head in the sand, and it's not politically correct to talk about it, but while we are going through the development phase there is a risk that extends to people at the factory and trackside personnel.

"I know there are working groups looking at how to manage and overcome these issues, so hopefully a satisfactory solution will be found, but the timescale is certainly pretty tight to be ready for the start of next season.

"Part of my role for next year will be to assist with the development of Red Bull's KERS system. I'll be wearing a full rubber body suit to make sure that I'm safe... Formula One driving suits will become like fireproof condoms!"
By welshie
Fireproof condoms . . . . imagine the possibilities :rofl:

See our F1 related articles too!