FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss your own car, automotive news and latest supercar launches.
By Mikep99
I was just surfing the net today & I stumbled across my brothers old car.

http://persephone.instanthosting.com.au/~wil16543/index10.html

He has his own panel beating workshop and every so often he does a project like this.
Here are the pictures when he owned it. It was a full bare metal restoration job.

He is currently restoring a slightly damaged Ferrari Testarossa which he imported from Japan.
By texasmr2
Oh my gawd!!! Man I cannot tell you how much I LUV Pantera's and having seen some original's on the street and now these pic's :thumbup: !! Thank you and tell your brother "Hey bro" for me.
By bud
any pics of the Testarossa? who did he import it through if you dont mind me asking?
i have used prestigemotorsport to import cars from Japan before. seen a few Euro cars pretty cheap like 911's Mercs and Beamers but they are left hand drive which is weird becaue Japan is a right hand drive nation.
By Mikep99
any pics of the Testarossa? who did he import it through if you dont mind me asking?
i have used prestigemotorsport to import cars from Japan before. seen a few Euro cars pretty cheap like 911's Mercs and Beamers but they are left hand drive which is weird becaue Japan is a right hand drive nation.

No pics of the Ferrari yet but once he has finished it I will take some & post them here. He has been at it for over a year now so hell knows when it will be ready but I think it may only be another few months or so.
I can't wait to take it for a spin.
Yeh his was also left hand drive which he has now converted.

I am not sure how he imports them but he and a friend of his (his partner in it) went over to Japan about a year ago for a shopping expedition & organize it all.
They brought back 2 Testarossa's & a Lancia Integrale.
The trip before this about 5 years ago they bought back a GTR Godzilla & a few Silvia's which they fixed up and sold. The GTR only lasted a month, the guy who bought it wrote it off by wrapping it around a pole.

He also went to the USA once and bought back about 5 Corvette's.
By bud
I miss my Godzilla :crying:

i was looking at the Japanese auctions just the other day and a 92 GTS R32 Skyline had a starting bid of 50 AUD :rofl: cars are so cheap over there
By Mikep99
Your brotha has very good taste in car's! :)

Yeh I think he has as well. The lucky barstard, but I cannot complain, he let's me take them out for a spin whenever I want. :thumbup:

I miss my Godzilla :crying:

i was looking at the Japanese auctions just the other day and a 92 GTS R32 Skyline had a starting bid of 50 AUD :rofl: cars are so cheap over there

The GTR is a awesome car.
Yeh Japan is the place to get a good bargain & my brother being a auto repairer usually goes for the slightly damaged ones and get's an even better deal.
By texasmr2
A few pic's for you bud because I know you will like them. Before I post them man I gotta say I'm in turmoil about my next car because I want so many different one's! A few day's ago I started thinking about my Lexus with the I-6 horse and man I miss that engine alot more than the car and the power it made and could make so then I said to myself "Self what about a Skyline GTR"?

bud I can pickup a US legal R32 GTR and maybe an R33 GTR for about $15-$17K here in the state's and then I remembered it's RHD! No Ferrari or Lotus I could buy, in my price range, will offer the performance of a GTR or be as reliable, opinion PLEASE!!!!!!

R33GtrV-spec026.jpg

R33GtrV-spec032.jpg

R33GtrV-spec040.jpg

R31vsR32007.jpg

newpics003.jpg

newpics006.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By bud
Cheers for the pics,
Motorex do LHD conversions dont they? can you register RHD cars in Texas? Bang for your buck you cant go past the GT-R :thumbup: as for the 33 or 32 im biased towards the 32 but you should probably go for the 33 as its not as old! :thumbup:
By texasmr2
Cheers for the pics,
Motorex do LHD conversions dont they? can you register RHD cars in Texas? Bang for your buck you cant go past the GT-R :thumbup: as for the 33 or 32 im biased towards the 32 but you should probably go for the 33 as its not as old! :thumbup:

The LHD conversion would run close to $10K US I suspect so I could live with the LHD and a conversion imho would take something away from the car, you know what I mean?
I'm also biased toward's the R32 most likely for some of the reason's you are.
By texasmr2
bud,
Have you ever watched the Best Motoring video's? I have 6-7 of them and Vol.13 is dedicated to the R32 and R33. I watched it again last night for the first time in years and the R33 eat's R32's for lunch! I believe it is due to the techno/electro gizmo's they introduced on the R33.

Also since MotorRex is only a shell of it's former self the member's of the GTR forum are saying that the R33 is the only one that can now be legally imported into the state's? :shrug:
By bud
I know Canada can import 32's maybe register it there MadBrad can help:D

as for 33's eating the 32's i dunno the RB26DETT engine was not tweaked too much between the two models, there was differences in the driveshafts and gearboxes, the 33 had the stronger box which first came about on the last of the 32 models the 1994 R32 V-Spec II

but you also have to take into account the 33 is alot heavier than the 32 so alot of the drag racers in Japan and Australia prefer to use the 32 as the base to work on :thumbup:

hey if youre after a knowledgeable forum about Skylines and Skyline GT-Rs then try http://www.skylinesaustralia.com im a member on there though i hardly go on these days but it has a US section and has thousands of members with a few who know their s***! :thumbup:

EDIT: ok it doesnt have a US section that was www.nissansilvia.com which i am also on :hehe:
By texasmr2
bud,
You know I dont care really if it's an R32 or R33 it's a SKYLINE!!!! Hey checkout this link for some great pricing from a very reputable exporter: http://www.japan-partner.com/ .
They have some viscious GTR's at incredible price's and low mileage I emailed them, because they help with all your shipping need's, regarding what shipping would cost to the Port of Houston.

A GTR will be mine but it will be atleast another 1.5-2 year's :( . I am going to look into the process of registering and insurance for such a car here in Texas. I know there is a white R33 or R34 running around town so it can be done.
By texasmr2
I checked their website and found their price's too be double of those from that JAP exporter? I'm wondering if it has something to do with the export pricing? Heck I may be able to find one here in the state's that will fit into my price range when I'm ready and atleast I have plenty of time to research. :)

If I do end up importing from Japan I'm sure it will be alot cheaper to have it shipped to Cali and then just drive it back to Texas. Wow this is gonna be ALOT of work if I do have one imported :yes: . I know there are a few reputable shop's here in the US that have JDM car's forsale now I just need to find them again :banghead: lol.

See our F1 related articles too!