FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By J-Ridd 10
i respect the fact that u have respect for schumacher and you think he was very good (mind u if u didnt u would be very delusional).. But i will tell u the difference between schumacher and senna for me;
1. Has Schumacher ever tries to punch he closest rival? NO
2. Has Senna ever taken a risky move and tried tobring an old glory team back to success (i am talkin bout ferrari)?NO

Senna simply hopped from best car to best car and that was how he won his championships
By McLaren Fan

Did Senna? All I remember is Senna giving Irvine a much deserved punch in 1993. In 1995 (I think), Schumacher tried to attack Hill, only being held back by a marshal.
2. Has Senna ever taken a risky move and tried tobring an old glory team back to success (i am talkin bout ferrari)?NO

Senna was never given the chance. For what it's worth, the contract Schumacher was given at Ferrari was to have been given to Senna. Unfortunately for Senna, he was killed. Schumacher, therefore, was given the contract.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3907&hilit=+senna&start=0

Reading through the above thread will also address the point I didn't deal with in this post.
By J-Ridd 10

Did Senna? All I remember is Senna giving Irvine a much deserved punch in 1993. In 1995 (I think), Schumacher tried to attack Hill, only being held back by a marshal.

Senna was never given the chance. For what it's worth, the contract Schumacher was given at Ferrari was to have been given to Senna. Unfortunately for Senna, he was killed. Schumacher, therefore, was given the contract.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3907&hilit=+senna&start=0

Reading through the above thread will also address the point I didn't deal with in this post.

In 1993 i believe, Senna swung for Schumi, and missed

How do u know senna was going to get that deal? Senna was getting too old and ferrari wanted some fresh blood and talent and they got the greatest ever driver. :D
By McLaren Fan
In 1993 i believe, Senna swung for Schumi, and missed

I don't recall that. In any case, Schumacher has physically attacked a few people, so your point is invalid.

How do u know senna was going to get that deal?

Because Ferrari said so.
By J-Ridd 10
and u reckon senna would have been as successful as schumacher at bringing ferrari back to glory days and numerous Constructors titles?
By McLaren Fan
and u reckon senna would have been as successful as schumacher at bringing ferrari back to glory days and numerous Constructors titles?

I don't think that Senna would have raced until 2006, but he certainly would have won a few titles and left Ferrari in a strong position for the 2000s. It's unfair to say that Schumacher turned around Ferrari on his own. He was given a blank cheque by de Montezemolo to appoint a full technical team and have number one status in the team. As a result, Schumacher poached the best staff, who were from Benetton at that time. Senna, or anybody with a good knowledge of Formula One at the time, would have done the same. For what it's worth, Schumacher was interested in driving for McLaren, given his connexions with Mercedes-Benz. The main reason the deal never materialised was because Ron Dennis did not want to offer Schumacher control of his team, what Ferrari were offering Schumacher.
By texasmr2

He may very well have done so but we will never know will we? Senna was ready to sign with Ferrari in '93, Luca M. statement: "He told me how it was his dream to drive for Ferrari, to take Ferrari back to the top," the chairman says. "I told him we weren't ready for him."

Anyway this little arguement could go on endlessly so agree to disagree that yall have different opinion's of who was the greatest. I personaly do not hold either one higher than the other as I appreciate each driver for what they achieved. Senna was a god and so is Schumi that's all I need to know.

I don't think that Senna would have raced until 2006, but he certainly would have won a few titles and left Ferrari in a strong position for the 2000s. It's unfair to say that Schumacher turned around Ferrari on his own. He was given a blank cheque by de Montezemolo to appoint a full technical team and have number one status in the team. As a result, Schumacher poached the best staff, who were from Benetton at that time. Senna, or anybody with a good knowledge of Formula One at the time, would have done the same. For what it's worth, Schumacher was interested in driving for McLaren, given his connexions with Mercedes-Benz. The main reason the deal never materialised was because Ron Dennis did not want to offer Schumacher control of his team, what Ferrari were offering Schumacher.

Senna was not as good at schumacher, senna spun at brazil under pressure from schumacher who was pulling away at nearly a second a lap . in aida , he had a poor start and collided with hakkinen and in san marino , we all know what happened on lap 7.
By texasmr2
Senna was not as good at schumacher.

You would do well by placing a much needed 'imho - in my honest opinion' after statement's such as that because that is all it is, your OPINION! :wink:

Please dont take any offense from this question but may I ask, exactly how long have you been following F1? The reason I ask this is because it will give all the other member's alittle insight about your opinion's because if you never witnessed Senna race first hand, tv or inperson, and only Schumacher how can your opinion of Senna be taken seriously?
By McLaren Fan
His opinion is worthless, for it's not backed up by any facts or analysis whatsoever. He's clearly some Ferrari lamb who believes Schumacher is best simply because he had a successful career in a red car. Some of the comments on this utterly absurd and drive me insane.

You would do well by placing a much needed 'imho - in my honest opinion' after statement's such as that because that is all it is, your OPINION! :wink:

Please dont take any offense from this question but may I ask, exactly how long have you been following F1? The reason I ask this is because it will give all the other member's alittle insight about your opinion's because if you never witnessed Senna race first hand, tv or inperson, and only Schumacher how can your opinion of Senna be taken seriously?

since 1999 , bu i have dvds of every race since 1983.
By texasmr2

That's cool bro and I was not giving you a hard time I hope you understand :wink: ?

A few thing's that I would like to point out though, and I am by NO MEAN'S supporting their view's over your's ok?

1: Chris aka McLaren Fan has a great deal more knowledge and year's under his belt when it come's to F1. Nothing against you though ok :) .

2: It is really awesome that you have those race's dating back to '83 as it give's you a true sense of what some of us witnessed first hand. Yet your 16yr difference/delay in following F1 has it's drawback's, if you had another 10+yr's under your belt, it would be a different story but it does not.

3: One thing you must accept and realize is that your opinion is just that, only an opinion. I personaly have been following F1 since the late '70's and McLaren Fan has atleast 10yr's on you.

My meaning is learn to accept other's opinion's and find a common ground on which you can agree on without turning a thread into a 'biatch fest'.

That's cool bro and I was not giving you a hard time I hope you understand :wink: ?

A few thing's that I would like to point out though, and I am by NO MEAN'S supporting their view's over your's ok?

1: Chris aka McLaren Fan has a great deal more knowledge and year's under his belt when it come's to F1. Nothing against you though ok :) .

2: It is really awesome that you have those race's dating back to '83 as it give's you a true sense of what some of us witnessed first hand. Yet your 16yr difference/delay in following F1 has it's drawback's, if you had another 10+yr's under your belt, it would be a different story but it does not.

3: One thing you must accept and realize is that your opinion is just that, only an opinion. I personaly have been following F1 since the late '70's and McLaren Fan has atleast 10yr's on you.

My meaning is learn to accept other's opinion's and find a common ground on which you can agree on without turning a thread into a 'biatch fest'.

no probs.thanks
By EwanM

lol on a personal note, how old is everyone?

I think that you need to consider the differences in Senna and Schumacher's time.
In reality Schumacher (certainly from 2001-2004) was unchallenged in dominant machinery and driver calibre. The Alonso's and Raikkonen's were mearly learning their trades.
Hakkinen was gone, and Mclaren and Williams failed to deliver. Nobody bar over rated Jacques was in the field and was a WDC.
In Senna's time, he generally faced 3 other world Champions. Mansell, Prost and Piquet. Not to mention a lot of other quality drivers such as Patrese, Boutsen, Berger... etc etc etc.

I take nothing away from Damon Hill, but I do not rate him as one of the best. He was in the right place at the right time if you ask me. Though he fought hard in 1996, the slip ups of 1995 proved he couldn't be consistant enough.

Senna also raced in cars far less reliable than that of Schumachers era. That's why records were easily broken by Schumacher.
At End of the day, they were both stars of their eras. I really don't believethat there should be a question of "i've watched Formula One... *insert number of years*". People just need to understand the facts, and watch and read on what happened. I'm not calling myself an expert on formula 1, but I have watched if for the majority of my life, and have researched many areas of the sport. In hindsight history is a wonderful thing, means you can relieve the story with different schools of thought contributing to it.

I'll stop randomly going on, just to end with: Senna was one of the greats, but so was Schumacher.

And I hope nobody takes this with offence. I just feel that it doesn't matter how long you've been envolved in the love affair which is F1, as long as you understand the heritage and history of it.

See our F1 related articles too!