FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.

Sorry i have to disagree with those comments. 1994 was a racing incident , 2006 was an error that the fia thought was cheating.

although i admit that 1997 was desperate.

:thumbup:

What was that???????
By J-Ridd 10
I have supported schumacher since 1995... he is the best ever!!!!! And also he had already outclassed senna for the first 3 races of the 94 season when the tragic accident happened, so it is stupid to say that senna would have won more titles, when schumacher was clearly the better racer...
By McLaren Fan
I have supported schumacher since 1995... he is the best ever!!!!! And also he had already outclassed senna for the first 3 races of the 94 season when the tragic accident happened, so it is stupid to say that senna would have won more titles, when schumacher was clearly the better racer...

:rofl::bs:
By J-Ridd 10

WTF????????
By EwanM
It's ok I'm a lamb and I walk proud! :D

Im a cat.

Schumacher had some amazing drives... these spring to mind :P (the first races to pop into my head)
Nurburgring 1995
Hungary 1998
San Marino 1999
Spain 1996
Suzuka 2000
Austria 2003
China 2006
Even his final grand prix.

He did make a lot of mistakes, but I see 1997 and Monaco 2006 as purely out of desparation.
Alot of people find him arrogant, but I think he was fairly misunderstood, especially in the UK by a blood thirsty press.

The Senna V Schumacher argument is fickle. We will never know how they measured up because it was sadly taken away from us. Senna was a fantastic driver, his death allowed for the rise of Schumacher... but Schumacher wasn't exactly terrible himself, the best of his era.
By McLaren Fan

WTF????????

Your Formula One knowledge is clearly lacking, as evidenced by such a ludicrous statement.
By J-Ridd 10

WTF????????

Your Formula One knowledge is clearly lacking, as evidenced by such a ludicrous statement.

im sorry but how is it lacking?
By McLaren Fan

WTF????????

Well, your first comment is unbelievably parochial. Either you are deluded or don't understand the 1994 season.
By J-Ridd 10

WTF????????

Well, your first comment is unbelievably parochial. Either you are deluded or don't understand the 1994 season.

Ok, 1994 season let me think...... Schumacher wins first 3 races, senna no points. Going at Imola, we all know what happens...
By McLaren Fan
And have you looked at the information behind those results, or just taken them at face value?
By McLaren Fan
There's been a lot of debate about Senna and Schumacher on this forums. I'm just trying to go back through my own posts and find ones relevant to this matter, for I really don't want to type out the same thing again an again. Here's one:

The Williams FW16 started off as a very difficult car to drive. Its mechanical grip was very poor in comparison to the Benetton B194 and there were several aerodynamic problems with the car: the low nose design was outdated compared to Benetton's design and the rear end of the car was very skittish (which probably contributed towards Senna's fatal accident). The B194 very likely had traction control and certainly had launch control. Williams also went backwards for a time with the development of the car. Before the San Marino Grand Prix, new parts were put onto the car and Senna was very critical of them. It was not until the second half of the season that Williams got on top of the car's flaws. Only Senna's brilliance made the car look in half decent at the start of he season. Would Schumacher have won in 1994 had Senna lived? To be honest, no. Senna showed he could drag results out of the car and would probably have realised that he needed to play the percentage game (as he did in 1991 when the Williams FW14 was superior) until Williams got the car sorted.
By J-Ridd 10
There's been a lot of debate about Senna and Schumacher on this forums. I'm just trying to go back through my own posts and find ones relevant to this matter, for I really don't want to type out the same thing again an again. Here's one:

The Williams FW16 started off as a very difficult car to drive. Its mechanical grip was very poor in comparison to the Benetton B194 and there were several aerodynamic problems with the car: the low nose design was outdated compared to Benetton's design and the rear end of the car was very skittish (which probably contributed towards Senna's fatal accident). The B194 very likely had traction control and certainly had launch control. Williams also went backwards for a time with the development of the car. Before the San Marino Grand Prix, new parts were put onto the car and Senna was very critical of them. It was not until the second half of the season that Williams got on top of the car's flaws. Only Senna's brilliance made the car look in half decent at the start of he season. Would Schumacher have won in 1994 had Senna lived? To be honest, no. Senna showed he could drag results out of the car and would probably have realised that he needed to play the percentage game (as he did in 1991 when the Williams FW14 was superior) until Williams got the car sorted.

annnnddd.. your point is? You dont think that the '96 ferrari was hard to drive? Yet schumacher had it look alrite and he won a couple of races i do believe :D
By McLaren Fan
I'm not talking about 1994. I was pointing out that your comment about the first three races of 1994 was rubbish (no offence meant). Again, if you read through my posts on Schumacher, you'll see I've a lot of respect for him. Take these two:

Massa and Raikkonen don't compare one bit to Schumacher. Massa is a nice guy and tries really hard, but that's not good enough. Raikkonen has the ability, but his attitude is wrong, his work ethic is shocking and he is not a leader. Whilst Schumacher would be knocking his pan in, keeping fit and doing a lot of testing and development work, Raikkonen would be drinking away his talent and complaining that the car wasn't good enough but failing to put any solutions on the table. Raikkonen can drive what he's got very fast, but he is not willing to make it go much faster. Schumacher can drive what he's got pretty fast (possibly being a tenth slower than an on-form Raikkonen) but can also make his equipment go faster. Schumacher brings more to the party than just raw speed. Ferrari, despite the Ross Brawns and Rory Byrnes of this world leaving, still have a great technical team who are busting their arses out to win. They are not, however, getting the same commitment - and, thus, information - back from Raikkonen. Formula One is a team game and it requires all components of your team to be functioning well. Schumacher did a lot with which I don't agree and his fans say a lot about him that I don't also agree about, but I respected him, for he was always up front about his faults and you knew he was giving 120% all of the time.

I agree. Schumacher was clearly very, very skilled, and he would definitely have won several championships regardless of went on at Ferrari. I've a lot of time for Schumacher, for he was always up front about his desire to win, never complained when people did the same nasty things that he did to others on him, knew what he wanted and was prepared to seize the opportunities with both hands. Do I think he's the greatest driver ever? No. Has he inspired or influenced me in some ways? Nowhere near as much as Ayrton Senna did/does, but he's definitely contributed. People don't have to like Schumacher, and he's given people a lot of reason not to like him in the Formula One circus, but to say he had no skill and did little for Formula One is madness.
Last edited by McLaren Fan on 01 Aug 08, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.

See our F1 related articles too!