FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By Rob-F1
I'm surprised there isn't a thread about possibly the best driver that will ever live. He's my all time favourite, I've been a Michael fan since I started watching F1 back in 1997 when I was 6 years old. He's my idol.

What do you lot think of him?
By texasmr2
Man you sure know how to open a can of worm's! :D

Next to Senna there is no one I have enjoyed watching more. I just finished watching the '94 Pacific GP and the '94 Hungarian GP and I am Schumified once again! 8) If I recall I actually became misty when he announced his retirement from F1. :(

This will probably be the last positive reply you get so enjoy the bliss! :wink:
By welshie
Schumi ------> :blaster: <----------Me
By Denthúl
Schumacher is the most succesful F1 driver, not the best.

I think that's unfair to say. He's definitely amongst the best. Even if he hadn't had such dominant cars and clear, untouchable #1 status within a team, he still could have pulled off several championships. It wouldn't have been seven, but it would have been more than one, easily. He was a skilled driver, it was just masked a lot of the time by his tendancy to cheat which, unfortunately, meant that so many disliked him.
By Rivelution

I think that's unfair to say. He's definitely amongst the best. Even if he hadn't had such dominant cars and clear, untouchable #1 status within a team, he still could have pulled off several championships. It wouldn't have been seven, but it would have been more than one, easily. He was a skilled driver, it was just masked a lot of the time by his tendancy to cheat which, unfortunately, meant that so many disliked him.

I know, I didnt say he's not good. He is right up there with the best, I'm just saying he is not the best driver to ever compete in F1.
By texasmr2
I'm dispared at all the ignorance and "I know it all" frame of mind that is spoken here and mainly from those who have been following F1 for what maybe 10yr's at the most! How about sticking with your favorite driver and wishing him the best instead of :vomit: on the driver who has achieved the greatest result's in the history of F1!

Is there any chance that you will mature and appreciate what that said driver has accomplished? Most likely not so WHATEVER! :rolleyes::beans:
By McLaren Fan

I agree. Schumacher was clearly very, very skilled, and he would definitely have won several championships regardless of went on at Ferrari. I've a lot of time for Schumacher, for he was always up front about his desire to win, never complained when people did the same nasty things that he did to others on him, knew what he wanted and was prepared to seize the opportunities with both hands. Do I think he's the greatest driver ever? No. Has he inspired or influenced me in some ways? Nowhere near as much as Ayrton Senna did/does, but he's definitely contributed. People don't have to like Schumacher, and he's given people a lot of reason not to like him in the Formula One circus, but to say he had no skill and did little for Formula One is madness.
By Kiwi_Chris
There is no questioning his speed or consistancy, i mean the man is a car developing god. but i dont know if you could call him the best.
There are a few drivers that could claim that title and not have the results he had after all he had a relitivly long carrer in F1 and was pretty much always in a front running car. Gilles Villenerve was taken from the sport to early and he had some amazing ability behind the wheel, Jim Clark was another giant among men when he stepped behind the wheel of a car and of course Fangio did things in 50's era F1 that Shumacher could only dream of (German GP 1957 came back from 50seconds down to win by three seconds, and setting a fastest lap 11 seconds fater than his closest rival)
Shumacher was the greatest driver through the 90's and into the new millenium (i dont mean to offend anyone but god im sick of the german national anthem) but i dont think you could ever crown one driver as the best ever
By Rivelution
I'm dispared at all the ignorance and "I know it all" frame of mind that is spoken here and mainly from those who have been following F1 for what maybe 10yr's at the most! How about sticking with your favorite driver and wishing him the best instead of :vomit: on the driver who has achieved the greatest result's in the history of F1!

Is there any chance that you will mature and appreciate what that said driver has accomplished? Most likely not so WHATEVER! :rolleyes::beans:

I wasnt :vomit: on Schumacher. I was just saying he is the most succesful driver ever in F1. He clearly is amongst the best of the best, but do I think he is the best driver to ever compete in F1? No. Thats all I'm saying.
By texasmr2
I wasnt :vomit: on Schumacher. I was just saying he is the most succesful driver ever in F1. He clearly is amongst the best of the best, but do I think he is the best driver to ever compete in F1? No. Thats all I'm saying.

Its cool and I cannot expect everyone or anyone to agree with my reasoning of why I think he was the best. :wink:
By 8-ball
Senna was brilliant and he would have certainly won more championships if that tragic accident never happened. Schumi was superbly focused and a brilliant driver but I just feel in the same car as Senna he would lose

See our F1 related articles too!