FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 469623.stm

Stoner unhappy at Donington fans
By Julian Shea

Reigning world champion Casey Stoner has spoken out after he was booed by sections of the Donington crowd after his victory in Sunday's British MotoGP.

The Australian eased to victory for the second year running but again received a mixed reception on the podium.

"What do they want? Are they here to watch racing? It's not the right way to come to a race track," he said.

"It's nice to see people here in good numbers but not if they're here for the wrong reasons."

606: DEBATE
What do you think of Stoner's comments?

As a 14-year-old, Stoner moved from Australia to Britain in 2000 after he had run out of competitions to win back home.

His family showed their belief in the youngster's talent by selling up back home and living in a mobile home for a year as he carved out a career in European competition, working his way up through the ranks before entering MotoGP in 2006 and winning the world title in just his second season.

But he has repeatedly encountered hostility from sections of the British public, and does not know why.

"It doesn't affect me but the same thing happened last year," said the Ducati rider, who lies third in the championship standings behind Valentino Rossi and Dani Pedrosa.

"Then I got up on the stage at the Riders for Health charity day and everybody booed me, so I don't really want to do that again.

"And even going round after the race, I had a 40 or 50-year-old lady giving me a boo sign and another guy making obscene gestures."

Although Sunday was Stoner's first win since the opening round of what has been a trouble season, he rejected claims it had thrust him back into the championship race.

"It's not necessarily my ticket into the championship," he said.

"Maybe in the next five or six races we can understand if something drastic has changed but with a DNF (did not finish) already and a couple of other bad races, we're already a long way back.

"Without those, maybe we could be closer and talking about fighting for the championship, but at the moment I really want to just see in how many races we can get some better results."

Does anyone know what people have against Casey Stoner in the Uk and worldwide?
Was there last year and don't remember any bad sentiment toward Stoner - however, with most fans in attendance supporting Rossi, you can understand the reaction.

I support Stoner, but would never consider chastising another driver for doing well - but this is Britain in 2008, and people just don't like to see others do well! :banghead:
Was there last year and don't remember any bad sentiment toward Stoner - however, with most fans in attendance supporting Rossi, you can understand the reaction.

I support Stoner, but would never consider chastising another driver for doing well - but this is Britain in 2008, and people just don't like to see others do well! :banghead:

Yeah, I don't feel that there is too much hostility towards Stoner. I'm a Rossi fan, but that's going way back. Sure I've heard plenty of boos at Grand Prix's, drivers/riders need to ignore it.
I was a little shocked when I read this. Stoner hasen't done anything to warrent it.
It's the first time I'm hearing such a thing. He's such a sympathetic guy. It's just stupid to 'boo' someone, just because he won.

Bad to boo, he doesnt deserve that but he is mardy (like webber has become and i used to really like him!) Now vermullen I DO like, he's not mardy!
And Rossi is just so special! BIG fan base in britain. :):)

Cause he is a legend?

Cos he is just AMAZING!!!The best!!

Cause he is a legend?

So the reason why there are so many Hamilton bashers is..... ? :wink:

Cause he is a legend?

So the reason why there are so many Hamilton bashers is..... ? :wink:

Because he can't drive... :rofl:(just kidding :whip: )

See our F1 related articles too!