FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
I cannot and never will be able to accept one's opinion about Ayrton who never actually saw him race inperson or live on TV. What one read's and believe's , one who never witnessed his brilliance and determination behind the wheel of a racecar live, their opinion about Senna is worthless to me personaly.

Alittle harsh maybe but fully legitimate imho.

Senna walked right past me when i was 5 so im in :wink:
But whats the difference between watching a race live on tv and watching a replay be it half an hour or 14 years delayed? wouldnt you still get the same admiration from watching it?
But whats the difference between watching a race live on tv and watching a replay be it half an hour or 14 years delayed? wouldnt you still get the same admiration from watching it?

Yes one may I guess. My meaning is that there is a certain aura and feeling imo that one get's from witnessing something first hand as it is actually taking place. I do still get the rush from watching old F1 race's because it let's me relive that experience that I witnessed first hand.
I hope that make's a little sense and yall get the jist of my meaning? :)
One of the saddest things I've seen was a documentary on youtube about Francois Cevert who died at Watkins Glen in 1973. A lovely piece and a fitting tribute.

tex, I agree in many ways. It pains me a little that I'm only 22 and I've only watched this sport since 1995, and as a result I would never try and push my opinions on anybody I hadn't seen live. For me, the old videos are great though and give me a strong respect and admiration for heroes gone by.

Also while I'm here, and rather fitting to the thread;

RIP Gilles Villeneuve. 26 years today. :cry:
Yah bud was correct in pointing out that the thrill and awe does not demise in any sense for those who did not get to witness Senna live. I only meant that it's just alittle more intense and meaningful for those who had the joy of seeing it first hand.

Perhap's that is a more appropriate response. :wink:
and Tex did you see the man Senna drive in person? i am very privileged to have seen him in person.

come to think of it i have seen many great F1 drivers in the flesh

Mansell, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Hill, Hakkinen, list goes on
and Tex did you see the man Senna drive in person?

Sadly no. :cry:

come to think of it i have seen many great F1 drivers in the flesh Mansell, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Hill, Hakkinen, list goes on

I envy you for that. :wink:
Yah bud was correct in pointing out that the thrill and awe does not demise in any sense for those who did not get to witness Senna live. I only meant that it's just alittle more intense and meaningful for those who had the joy of seeing it first hand.

Perhap's that is a more appropriate response. :wink:

I totally agree with both your responses to be honest. When the next generation comes along I'll probably be slightly perplexed by someone my age in 15 or so years proclaiming the "Schumacher was the greatest".

That said there's so much more media around nowadays.
I was only 4 at the time, and don't directly remember the Grand Prix, even though I was probably watching it. I started watching F1 properly that I can remember in 1996. I knew that Senna had died then, so I must have known when it happened, but not thought much more about it because i was so young.

However, between about 1998 and 2006 I occasionally, about once a year, had a dream of a helicopter taking off from what looked like a Grand Prix circuit. After a few times i realised it was Imola.

I'd seen Ratzenberger's crash about 6 years ago, but I only watched the video of Senna's crash a few months ago. I saw the crash but never the aftermath, and what I saw completely freaked me out. The helicopter was identical, the circuit was the same, my dream was like watching it through one of the FIA's trackside cameras. I watched the race in full a few weeks ago, and I have to say that the weekend of Imola 1994 has to be one of the saddest and evil sporting events in living memory, if not the worst. I was shocked at the number of incidents, such as the start line crash, with the debris going into the crowd, and Alboreto's wheel hitting the mechanic.

It saddens me that I wasn't old enough to fully appreciate Ayrton Senna for who he was and the driver he was. I have always known of him but he will never be in my memory like Schumacher, Hakkinen, Hill, Alonso and Hamilton. I'm sure Ayrton would have carried on until nearly 40. that would have taken him through to 2000. Imagine if there could have been a fight between Villeneuve, Hakkinen, Schumacher, Hill and Senna. I'm sure some people think that Ayrton could have carried on until this day. He was in such good shape that it would have been possible, I don't know how effective however.

Another sick footnote on this day: Senna and Ratzenberger were both 34 years old, with only 3 or 4 months between them. It's ironic, but in a nice way, that Roland Ratzenberger, who qualified for only 2 Grands Prix, and tragically only started one, will always be mentioned in the same breath as a multiple champion and all time great of the sport.

Rest in peace Roland, and Ayrton. No one will ever forget you.

See our F1 related articles too!