FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
He just seemed to mean so much to so many people. I can't imagine a modern driver being so popular amongst his peers as Gilles was. 1979 WatGlen quali was just madness! He was everything I wish modern drivers would be more like...
hey gilles27,glad to talk to another keeper of the flame.i was at the glen that day in the pit lane,as a photog for nikon.massive wet/unreal/you usualy got sodden/soaked/drenched at the glen.gilles was insane in the wet [think snowmobiles] a really wierd smile on his face as he got out of the red sled.think montreal w/the bent ft. wing.only senna at donnington/stewart at the n-ring hold a candle. burt
My user name says it all really. The best F1 driver ever to grace the tarmac from an era when racing REALLY WAS racing.

His death is the only one ouside close family to cause me to cry. Admittedly I was only 9 at the time but even so, it had a profound effect on me.
gilles the legand,your right the [your] name dose say's it all.the day he died i tatto'ed his helmet on my left arm.i have a vast collection of gilles stuff.no one will ever be like him again. salut gilles. burt.
gilles the legand,your right the [your] name dose say's it all.the day he died i tatto'ed his helmet on my left arm.i have a vast collection of gilles stuff.no one will ever be like him again. salut gilles. burt.

Not sure my parents would have been happy with me doing that when I was 9!

He was a total legend, almost mystical to me. The way he drove a car was magical.
tazio,clark,gilles are the only one's that really count.fangio.moss,rindt.peterson.stewart.cevert.lauda are in the 2nd tier.senna? shumacher?really>?talent>yes /but/ dirty player's unsportmen like tactics.don't count. gilles was the most exciting driver ever to watch. salut gilles. burt.
As a Gilles fanatic, I rate Schumacher and Senna in the highest esteem and I believe that in equal cars, they would have beaten Gilles over a championship campaign, despite Gilles being my favorite ever. Burt, your post has given me a good idea though...
o.k. gilles 27 i'll bite. just what are you up to ? i would agree about senna /shu over a season taking the title from gilles.to reference this read jody's take on this matter.or just look at jody's season w/ gilles. burt.
o.k. gilles 27 i'll bite. just what are you up to ? i would agree about senna /shu over a season taking the title from gilles.to reference this read jody's take on this matter.or just look at jody's season w/ gilles. burt.

Oh yeh, sorry, I just started a thread about peoples top 5 drivers, should be around somewhere...
Have been reading this thread with much interest. Burt's posts have certainly added some good anecdotes about the great man. If any of you get the chance I recommend you visit the Gilles Villeneuve museum in Berthierville. I was like a kid in a toy shop when I went there! Thank god I had someone with me to take photo's for me, I was in a daze.
eagle f1 27- yes the musse' villrneuve is the bomb.i have my artwork there.iv'e been there on the 10th,20th,25the ans.will go next year on the 27th. on the 20th.i was there w/my buddy from rive sud montreal,as was jaques villeneuve snr and gaston parent- gilles manager-now dead.they both signed stuff for me.last year they remodeled-and moved the statue from the park to the musse' property.everyone there really loved my gilles helmet tattoo-and my gilles autograph--which is the very last one he gave out on the day he left us. burt.
eagle f1 27- yes the musse' villrneuve is the bomb.i have my artwork there.iv'e been there on the 10th,20th,25the ans.will go next year on the 27th. on the 20th.i was there w/my buddy from rive sud montreal,as was jaques villeneuve snr and gaston parent- gilles manager-now dead.they both signed stuff for me.last year they remodeled-and moved the statue from the park to the musse' property.everyone there really loved my gilles helmet tattoo-and my gilles autograph--which is the very last one he gave out on the day he left us. burt.

Why on earth did they move the statue? Remember having to drive through Berthier to find it by the river!
I would like to go again as when I visited they were moving stuff around so some of the exhibits werent set up, and they only had the Direct Film March there at the time. Unlike the Formula Ford, Schweppes March and his truck they have on display now.
In case you didnt know Joanne Villeneuve brought out a book on Gilles recently, written in French unfortunately for me! But it does have many exclusive photos. One particularly nice one at Fiorano with Gilles standing in front of his Agusta 109E chopper and Ferrari race car.

See our F1 related articles too!