FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By texasmr2
But what counts as major success?

Major success is not the question but just making it into F1 could be considered that right? There were quite a few so called 'cult driver's' that I really liked from 20+yr's ago that drove very well and gave their team's great result's in race's that were unexpected. I'm I making any sense because I'm not even sure :oops::lol: ?
By 7UpJordan
Here's a good one to add to the list, Rene Arnoux. The man most famous for THAT battle between himself and Gilles Villeneuve at Dijon in 1979. The battle pretty much put Jabouille's victory into perspective
By onelapdown
I'm tempted to include Brundle if only for this quote after his massive crash at Monaco in 1984:

"I don't remember a thing about the crash, just the cheers of the crowd when I got out of the car."

As for what constitutes "major success", lets say I think I'd have to have a good reason to include anyone with more than the odd fluky win.
By Sam-KK24
Marcus Winklehock (1 race)

Leading by 33 secs ahead of Raikkonen, Massa, Lewis, Alonso..

I'm sure he has the telemetry framed anyway!
By Forti_Corse
ricardo paletti- fought his way into f1, still fought until his early death, who knows what success he may have achieved
By 7UpJordan
Ukyo Katayama 8)

didnt he quit f1 to go climb mountains?

He did that, but he quit because of a tumour in his back which he had. It wasn't life threatening, but painful. He's had it removed since though. :)

I remember in Katayama's debut year driving for Larrousse he had some pretty embarrasing collisions with Bertrand Gachot - who was his team-mate at the time.
By EwanM
Ukyo Katayama 8)

didnt he quit f1 to go climb mountains?

He did that, but he quit because of a tumour in his back which he had. It wasn't life threatening, but painful. He's had it removed since though. :)

I remember in Katayama's debut year driving for Larrousse he had some pretty embarrasing collisions with Bertrand Gachot - who was his team-mate at the time.

lol I remember that, crazy crazy man, what kept him in f1 for so long?
By 7UpJordan

He had a good year with Tyrrell in 1994. Scored quite a lot of points and qualified in the top 10 often. :)
By EwanM

He had a good year with Tyrrell in 1994. Scored quite a lot of points and qualified in the top 10 often. :)

OK, I think i vaguely remember that. As for Gachot, ex-convict?
By 7UpJordan

OK, I think i vaguely remember that. As for Gachot, ex-convict?

Yep, he sprayed CS gas in a London taxi driver's face after an altercation with him on his way to help Eddie Jordan obtain some sponsorship. Got sent to prison for a few months, Schumacher took his seat at Jordan (for that 1 race) and the rest is history. :)

See our F1 related articles too!