FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
The indycar series will be announcing their 2009 schedule tomorrow, and I've read that the only change is that Toronto will replace the race in Nashville. If thats the case, I wont even bother watching the indycar series. They said they were playing with the idea of bringing back some champ car races next year and it looks they will be bringing only one. No wonder the IRL has almost no fans, its because the IRL doesnt care about its fans.
I miss Champcar, I took a great interest into it last year and was looking forward to seeing who would fill Bourdais' boots. Also the Panoz DP1 chassis looked cool unlike that gastly pointy IRL chassis and Champcar used Cosworth power.

I wonder if the people at the top of the IRL are related to Mad Max at all?
I miss Champcar, I took a great interest into it last year and was looking forward to seeing who would fill Bourdais' boots. Also the Panoz DP1 chassis looked cool unlike that gastly pointy IRL chassis and Champcar used Cosworth power.

I wonder if the people at the top of the IRL are related to Mad Max at all?

Me too man, it was really starting to get competitive and it was cool to see Robert Doornbos challenge Bourdais.

I wouldnt be surprised if Tony George is related to Max. He's the douche bag that destroyed open-wheel racing in America. I'll never forgive him until indycar goes back to what it once was, but it doesnt look that way so I still hate his guts and then some.
The indycar series can kiss my arse. Only 2 new races next year, and Surfers will be dropped. The indycar series as with Tony George is pathetic, and I hope he gets his arse kicked and then some for destroying the greatest race series in America.
The indycar series can kiss my arse. Only 2 new races next year, and Surfers will be dropped. The indycar series as with Tony George is pathetic, and I hope he gets his arse kicked and then some for destroying the greatest race series in America.

That's blasphemy!! You can't drop Surfer's Paradise! That's like taking Monaco off the F1 calendar!! I hope the teams that were in Champcar decide that IRL is a joke and they all desert the IRL and somehow re-form Champcar.
this is from wikipedia but it says what was in the news down under!

On March 5, 2008 it was announced that the IRL IndyCar Series will travel to Australia for the first time, but due to contractural issues the race will not count towards the 2008 IndyCar Series Championship and will be a stand-alone demonstration event, in light of the recent merger between Champ Car and the IRL.[1]. A contract extension has been signed between the IRL and the promoters to continue the race until 2013

it would be stupid to ditch this race as it is a home event for 2 drivers in Briscoe and Power and could even count Scott Dixon as he was born in Brisbane and its as close to NZ as he would get to a home race.
this is from wikipedia but it says what was in the news down under!

On March 5, 2008 it was announced that the IRL IndyCar Series will travel to Australia for the first time, but due to contractural issues the race will not count towards the 2008 IndyCar Series Championship and will be a stand-alone demonstration event, in light of the recent merger between Champ Car and the IRL.[1]. A contract extension has been signed between the IRL and the promoters to continue the race until 2013

it would be stupid to ditch this race as it is a home event for 2 drivers in Briscoe and Power and could even count Scott Dixon as he was born in Brisbane and its as close to NZ as he would get to a home race.

Well I'm sorry bud but thats from March. The Indycar series just announced their official '09 schedule on wednesday and Surfers is not on there.
the snippet from March is for the race to go ahead this year as a non championship round. the bit on the end about the contract extension until 2013 is not from March its recent. the News here said after the 2009 schedule had been released without Surfers they negotiated the 2013 extension. So its still on :thumbup:
There was mixed news for Australian open-wheel fans Wednesday.
The merged IndyCar Series announced it will fulfill the commitment made by the former Champ Car World Series and hold the Gold Coast Indy 300 on Oct. 26.

But the Surfer's Paradise course is not on the 18-race IndyCar Series schedule announced for 2009.
The 2009 season opens on the streets of St. Petersburg, Fla., on April 5 and ends on the oval at Florida's Homestead-Miami Speedway on Oct. 11.

The Long Beach Grand Prix, which was formerly a Champ Car race, is scheduled for April 19 as the second race of the season. Japan's Twin Ring Motegi race, which conflicted with Long Beach this season, has been moved to Sept. 19 as the penultimate race on the 2009 schedule. The Indianapolis 500 will be run on May 24.

The Auto Club Speedway in Fontana is not on the IndyCar schedule for 2009.

The schedule features 10 oval races (Indianapolis, Homestead-Miami, Motegi, Iowa, Richmond, Kentucky, Chicagoland, Kansas, Milwaukee and Texas), three permanent road courses (Watkins Glen, Mid-Ohio and Sonoma) and five temporary street circuits (Long Beach, St. Petersburg, Toronto, Edmonton and Detroit).

Toronto has been added to the 2009 schedule after being canceled in 2008 as part of the merger. It had been a Champ Car World Series race. After the 2008 cancellation, the race's assets were purchased by Andretti-Green Racing.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/20080731-9999-1s31carnotes.html
so youre saying the Media in Australia just chose to make up the 2013 extension? :hehe:

The Grand Prix has a 2013 extension which means the the surfers paradise race will continue, but without indycars. V8 supercars will be taking its place I believe.
Gold Coast Indy 300 Earns Extension
INDIANAPOLIS — Officials of the Indy Racing League and the Gold Coast Indy 300 held in Surfers Paradise, Australia have announced a six-year agreement for the annual event to continue through at least the 2013 season.
Queensland Minister for Police, Corrective Services and Sport, Judy Spence, made the announcement after a visit to Indianapolis this week by event Chairman Terry Mackenroth and General Manager Greg Hooton.
The final 2008 IndyCar Series schedule, including details on how the race will fit in a championship format, still need to be worked through and then ratified by the sport’s world controlling body the FIA.
The IndyCar Series will be revising its previously announced 16-race schedule, to include some former Champ Car venues, including Australia, in the immediate future.
This year’s Gold Coast event will be attended by a full contingent of cars and drivers set to number a healthy 22-26 entries.
“The Gold Coast Indy 300 has been a part of the Queensland Major Event landscape for 18 years and I am delighted that it will continue to showcase Queensland for many years to come,” said Spence.
Indy Racing League founder and CEO, Tony George, welcomed the inclusion of the Queensland event with open arms.
“The Gold Coast Indy 300 has become one of the world’s truly great motorsport events and we are delighted that it will be part of the IndyCar Series schedule,” said George.
“I know so many of our teams and drivers, who have been to the event previously hold it in high regard and we are delighted that it will be one of the highlights of the IndyCar season.”

See our F1 related articles too!