FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
DONE DEAL: IRL/ChampCar Merge

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(from autosport)

This deserves its own thread. Finally, in 2-3 years we may see an Indy 500 like the old days.

The deal to unify Champ Car and the Indy Racing League has finally been completed, according to reports in America.

Respected American journalist Robin Miller last night reported on SpeedTV that the two weeks of negotiations have ended successfully.

He claimed Champ Car teams have been told to stop work on their cars and to expect delivery of new IRL cars later this week. Autosport.com understands that the announcement of the merger will be made by IRL officials tomorrow.

IRL boss Tony George's offer of free cars and engines, plus $1.2 million for any Champ Car team that will contest the full IRL season is believed to have been taken up by at least five teams.

Although nobody would confirm a deal had been reached, several team bosses are expecting the announcement imminently. When asked where his team would be running this year, Conquest Racing boss Eric Bachelart said: "I think I will be in a unified series."

After speaking to Champ Car co-owner Gerry Forsythe, Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing's Mike Lanigan said: "He indicated we were likely looking at one series."

Walker Racing boss Derrick Walker added: "We should all hear something positive on Tuesday or Wednesday."

Newman/Haas/Lanigan, PKV, and Forsythe are expected to enter the IRL with two cars each, while Walker, Conquest, and Dale Coyne Racing are likely to field one each. The futures of Minardi Team USA and Rocketsports are unknown, and Pacific Coast Motorsports are believed to be heading for the American Le Mans Series.

Champ Car veteran Paul Tracy will fly to Indianapolis for a seat fitting later this week, before heading to Homestead for the first IRL test of the season on February 27-28.

"We're going to have to thrash to make it to Homestead," he told SpeedTV. "We don't have any experience with those Dallaras so we're going to need all the practice we can get. But this s definitely the best thing that can happen for open-wheel racing."

It appears that an agreement has been reached on one sticking point in the deal: the date clash between the Champ Car round at Long Beach and the IRL race at Motegi on the April 19-20 weekend. The Motegi date is believed to have been rescheduled for later in the summer.

Champ Car's race at Edmonton, Canada, which draws the series' biggest crowd is likely to be confirmed in the IRL schedule, as well as a non-championship race at Surfer's Paradise, Australia. That brings the schedule to 19 races this year, with more road course events likely to be considered for 2009.

But Indy boss Tony George still refused to confirm a deal on Monday evening, telling SpeedTV: "While it is true that I continue to believe we're at the threshold of something long-overdue, we have not yet stepped across it."
I used to be a huge CART fan. I thought this was good news when it first came out. But then I realised 1) they are using the IRL crapwagons, instead of the CC panoz-DP01's, 2) it is primarily an oval series, 3) Tony George is the head honcho, and I hate his guts (for ruining CART). So I basically lost interest in the merger, and Formula 1 continues to be my favorite race series.
Yeah rev its not a merger at all, I will miss the new Panoz it only had one season and purely asthaetically speaking kills the shitbox of an IRL car

Yeah I will too, they were great cars. Luckily I've seen them race in person (San Jose Grand Prix, horrible track btw), and I was really looking forward to them returning to Laguna Seca Raceway this year. I beleive they are still going to use the DP01's one last time at the Grand Prix of Long Beach in April.
With all those Panoz chassis knocking about gathering dust by now, if I had the money I would buy them all as well as the half-developed ones before the merger and bring them all to the UK. Then I would create a British Champ Car series which would be pretty much free-for-all as long as you can demonstrate you can drive the car. Not a feeder series as such but young developing drivers, old-timers not fit enough for F1 and unlucky guys missing out would be all welcome.

Rockingham would get 2 races, the normal oval which would be the highlight of the season, the Rockingham 500 which would give British fans of the Indy 500 something a little closer to Home and also the infield track would be used at some point in the season too. It would be great to use as a support race for the British Grand Prix as well.

I don't know how much it costs to run a ChampCar, but one of the emphasises I would put on the series would be affordable budgets, so that drivers with hardly any money to progress to F3 or GP2 can drive something good.
With all those Panoz chassis knocking about gathering dust by now, if I had the money I would buy them all as well as the half-developed ones before the merger and bring them all to the UK. Then I would create a British Champ Car series which would be pretty much free-for-all as long as you can demonstrate you can drive the car. Not a feeder series as such but young developing drivers, old-timers not fit enough for F1 and unlucky guys missing out would be all welcome.

Rockingham would get 2 races, the normal oval which would be the highlight of the season, the Rockingham 500 which would give British fans of the Indy 500 something a little closer to Home and also the infield track would be used at some point in the season too. It would be great to use as a support race for the British Grand Prix as well.

I don't know how much it costs to run a ChampCar, but one of the emphasises I would put on the series would be affordable budgets, so that drivers with hardly any money to progress to F3 or GP2 can drive something good.

Thats exactly why they created the DP01's, so that it can be more affordable so that more teams could join CC. But I guaruntee that someone is going to buy all those cars and create another series like you said.
Watching a race in the new IRL series on Sky Sports Xtra, the cars really look crap, especially the ex Champ-Car teams, they just don't look right using the IRL chassis. :(
hey indy car series is hosted by ESPN? do you know any other channels that i can watch it on, cause i can't find it on sky, just ESPN Classic, is it only available to the americans? because i have to watch the races VIA threw internet, or download the races, and watch them on my PS3 haha
Great race last Race :D
Com On Wheldon :P
hey indy car series is hosted by ESPN? do you know any other channels that i can watch it on, cause i can't find it on sky, just ESPN Classic, is it only available to the americans? because i have to watch the races VIA threw internet, or download the races, and watch them on my PS3 haha
Great race last Race :D
Com On Wheldon :P

You know I have no idea. I beleive it is abc, fox, or espn. idk I really despise the IRL so I dont really bother to watch the races, and now there is no more champ car so idk what I'll do!! But I'm going to the Long Beach GP this weekend and I will see the Panoz DP01's race one last time :cry:
Bob Varsha mentioned this past sunday on the SPEED Report something about the IRL/CART serie's having a two race weekend but I missed the explanation :evil: ! Does anyone have anymore info?
what teams are racing at long beach?
I downloaded the st petersburg street race which was rained out, was alright but i just dont like the look of those cars! was good to see Rahal get his first win at only 19. or is he 18 ? either way he cant have celebratory drinks :lol:
Bob Varsha mentioned this past sunday on the SPEED Report something about the IRL/CART serie's having a two race weekend but I missed the explanation :evil: ! Does anyone have anymore info?

Yeah I'll explain that. Champ Car is having their season opener/finale at Long Beach with their DP01's and the points won at the race will still count for the IRL standings. On the other side of the world, the IRL series will be racing in Motegi, Japan.

was good to see Rahal get his first win at only 19. or is he 18 ? either way he cant have celebratory drinks :lol:

Ummm I dont know what teams are racing at LB, but there will be 20 cars(Jimmy Vasser will be racing one of them too!!!) in the event which is the biggest field they had since 02. Yeah it is great to see Rahal win the race, he is the youngest driver to win an IRL race at 19, beating Marco Andretti's record by like 74 days or something like that. He is also the first Champ Car driver to win an IRL race.

Yeah I'll explain that. Champ Car is having their season opener/finale at Long Beach with their DP01's and the points won at the race will still count for the IRL standings. On the other side of the world, the IRL series will be racing in Motegi, Japan.

was good to see Rahal get his first win at only 19. or is he 18 ? either way he cant have celebratory drinks :lol:

Ummm I dont know what teams are racing at LB, but there will be 20 cars(Jimmy Vasser will be racing one of them too!!!) in the event which is the biggest field they had since 02. Yeah it is great to see Rahal win the race, he is the youngest driver to win an IRL race at 19, beating Marco Andretti's record by like 74 days or something like that. He is also the first Champ Car driver to win an IRL race.

hehe so youre going for the Champ Car drivers over the IRL guys aswell? I have my favourites from Champ Car like Will Power and Justin WIlson but any champcar guy winning is alright with me
hehe so youre going for the Champ Car drivers over the IRL guys aswell? I have my favourites from Champ Car like Will Power and Justin WIlson but any champcar guy winning is alright with me

I remember some of the IRL drivers back from CART like Castroneves, and Kanaan. My favorite CART driver was Gil de Ferren with the Penske team, and the Target team was my 2nd favorite. But anyways yeah I basically am supporting the champ car guys like Power, and Rahal. I'll try to take pictures this weekend at Long Beach of the Last Champ Car race. I cant wait to see it, but I'm sad to see the series disappear :cry:

See our F1 related articles too!