FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By texasmr2
Yes of course a win is a win and I never said the fia should not count wins gained by attrition.

Nor did I. :wink:

The thread asks which one is best deserved, not is a win a win?

You misinterpreted my meaning.

I have no desire to pick aprt your choice or opinion, I just needed to use the Alesi win as an example to illustrate my opinion for best deserved win. It was brought up so I used it.

That's fair :wink: .
By Mikep99
winning in Canada in a Ferrari numbered 27. :)

Ah the No 27 I remember that number fondly :D:cry:

By madbrad
Canada 1998.
Michael Schumacher forces Heinz Harold Frentzen off the road on his way to a decisive victory. In what other driver, I ask you, do you see that level of devotion to the sport? That Irvine did not do it for him makes it all the more noteworthy!
By Denthúl
Canada 1998.
Michael Schumacher forces Heinz Harold Frentzen off the road on his way to a decisive victory. In what other driver, I ask you, do you see that level of devotion to the sport? That Irvine did not do it for him makes it all the more noteworthy!

One of the reasons that I have more respect for Schumacher off the track than on it. There was no need to do that. I think that it was good that Patrick Head marched down the pit lane to tell the Ferrari guys just what he thought about it.
By 8-ball
Kimi winning the title last year. it was long overdue and for years he was the best driver in t unreliable car. hope the same thing doesn't happen to lewis!!
By Irv the Swerve
Panis Monaco 96, fantastic race and outcome.

And Barrichello maiden win at Hockenheim.
By darwin dali
Yup, agree with the Panis win.
By McLaren Fan
One of the reasons that I have more respect for Schumacher off the track than on it. There was no need to do that. I think that it was good that Patrick Head marched down the pit lane to tell the Ferrari guys just what he thought about it.

I don't agree with everything Schumacher did on and off the track (I agree with on a lot of things he did as well, however) but I still have a lot of repsect for him because he is not a hypocrite: He knows what he did and didn't complain when others did it to him.

I think Hakkinen's 1998 was highly deserved for many reasons. He is without doubt one of the fastest drivers ever to drive a Formula One car and I feared his talent would be rewarded with little or no wins, which would have been a travesty great than Alesi. In terms of the 1998 season, McLaren had a few reliability problems which kept Schumacher in it. At the final Grand Prix of the season, Hakkinen kept cool under pressure whilst Schumacher stalled his Ferrari on the grid. Overall, I think McLaren deserved both titles that year. There were some really dark times in the 1990s, but Hakkinen never lost faith, Coulthard was confident in the teams future, everybody plugged away and Adrian Newey did a great job.

Other much deserved victories came in 1984 when McLaren was turned around thanks to some supreme entrepreneurship from Ron Dennis and John Barnard's carbon fibre revolution. Then, in 1988 McLaren produced easily the most dominant Formula One car ever seen and what will probably ever be seen.

In terms of race wins for drivers, the 1985 Portuguese Grand Prix stands out. Senna dominated the entire weekend in a much slower car and produced an ingenious performance in the race. Another race that jumps to mind was another race from Senna: the 1993 European Grand Prix. Senna produced what was, is and will always be the greatest opening lap motor racing has ever seen and massacred everybody in the race, again with a poor car. In fact, all of those five Grands Prix Senna won that year were completely deserved. I would say it was (or certainly comes very close to being) his best season.

Sometimes the world gives us somebody so unique, ingenious and brilliant. The world could go on another million years and there still would not be another guy like Senna.
By 7UpJordan
Canada 1998.

I liked that moment, I didn't like Frentzen when he was at Williams (I'd gone off them too whilst JV and HHF were there) and that race was a classic. :D
By McLaren Fan
That Irvine did not do it for him makes it all the more noteworthy!

Irvine was an arrogant w***er, to be really honest. So long as he was getting good money, he was prepared to fritter his (pretty decent) ability and play B-boy to Schumacher. No self-respect or guile. What a loser. It's nice to see him keeping in touch with the folks back home as well. I suppose the backwater that is Northern Ireland doesn't really compete with Miami. :roll:
By Denthúl

I don't agree with everything Schumacher did on and off the track (I agree with on a lot of things he did as well, however) but I still have a lot of repsect for him because he is not a hypocrite: He knows what he did and didn't complain when others did it to him.

Oh, certainly. But I still think that dirty tactics like that could be done without. I watched the 1997 season at a friend's house a few years back, and I was disgusted with what he did to try to take Villeneuve out. I'm glad he got penalised for that, because it was quite terrible. If you can't win by racing, then you don't really deserve to win. That said, there have been many, many races where Schumacher has most certainly deserved to win.

Though it probably won't ever happen now (unfortunately), I think Rubens Barrichello really deserves to win the Brazilian Grand Prix just once.
By madbrad
I meant it as a joke, as HHF was not battling MS. I was at that race BTW.
By EwanM
Schumacher Hungary 1998?
Hakkinen Spa 2000?
Mansell Silverstone 1992?
Coulthard France 2000?
Senna Suzuka 1988?
By racechick
I think Barichello (after all the times he played lapdog) really deserved his win at Silverstone( was it 2003?).And that was against my hero Jan Pablo-think he came second :D Barichello drove great that day,and he isnt normally a favourite of mine
By 7UpJordan
Thierry Boutsen's win at Hungary in 1990 leading from pole position to finish was perhaps a performance that made Boutsen look like a Champion. He managed to hold off a fast charging Nannini and then Senna as well (after Senna punted Nannini off at the chicane). The last of Boutsen's 3 wins before being ditched by Sir Frank at the end of the year.

See our F1 related articles too!