FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
Good luck mate, hope the Webber-effect catches on for you. :)
Back from one of the shittest weekends this season.

We were almost 2 seconds off the pace in testing in the dry, and about 1.5 in the wet. We couldn't work out what it was, then we bolted on engine 2 and we on the pace.

Quali was dry, and I needed top 10 to get straight into A final. I was pushing like f*ck, and I was in 11th when I came in to change pressures, but I made a little mistake on my very last run which cost me an A final slot. We just didn't have the pace, and we were punished for not testing at the track before.

On Sunday I started P2 in the Pre B final (with top 4 going through). I was on the outside so went back to 5th but was soon into 4th. The leader was slow but was blocking a lot, so a train formed. I was pushed back to 7th at one point, but drove back and was into 3rd.. until 2 laps to go, when the kart slid a little and ran out onto a run slippery run off, which put me into a 360. I recovered to take 8th, but it meant I was in another B final... really not where I wanted to be.

For the final the rain came, and we weren't given nearly enough time. We didn't have enough time to change gearing or width, and I was on a fully dry setup.. we couldn't even adjust tyre pressures.. the fronts were at about 15, and the rears at about 12.. Not good. Anyway, I got a good start and led going into turn 1, but was soon bulldozed out the way at the end of the lap, resulting in me spinning out and down to last place. Then the red mist came down and I knew I had to try everything. I fought back to 4th, but was Again taken out from behind and I was in 7th. At the last corner I took someone out, resulting in a BLACK flag (and disqualification).... only problem was.. it was so wet I couldn't see the flag. 3 laps later and I hadn't come in (and as far as I was concerned.. I had 2 laps to make up 1 place to put me into A final). I took out the guy infront of me again, then saw the flag and came in.

So I officially DNF'd, but I got 3 points on my license, and hit with a costly £150 fine, which was a joke. I can't see the flag because of the spray and get fined, yet the officials can't see when I'm taken out.. again and again.. They said I shouldn't argue with the punishment, because throughout that race I could have picked up 12 penalty points on my license, and a 1 year ban. Total bull****, and Belgium is going to be more of the same, I know exactly who took me out, and I'll get them back next month.
Man that is bloody shocking! I can't believe they fined you. Seems like they want to be the FIA!

Keep your head up, your young and doing mightily well as it is.

Keep living the dream mate. :thumbup: You going to BTCC?
FIA? well the Series is pretty much owned by Bernie and FOM.. so y'know.. :P

Well, I still want to be doing Single seaters, but unless I get some kind of miracle it's not going to be possible, it's way to expensive to be competitve. To be honest this is my first year of really competitive racing, and unfortunately it's going to be my last, our budget had to give sometime.. and it's gone.. End of the season.. Then if I do get into Myerscough College to do Motorsport Management.. then I'll be paying for racing on my own (no parents), and I'll be running a 2 year old kart.. so if I can win in that at club level some people might take note.. but I doubt it.

Myerscough have 2 Formula Fords and various rally cars, but unfortunately for me it's only staff and Paying drivers that get to race, so it looks like I'm snookered there, but I'll try my best to show them I could do the trick.. or at least talk to a few other teams in the paddock while I'm there..

BTCC is a great series and I definately wouldn't turn it down, but to get there you still really need to be doing single seaters to be noticed anywhere..

For me anyway it's sooooo unlikely I'll make it anywhere now.. not when theres kids at 13 and 14 being sponsored by Red Bull.. and theres even some companies taking risks on 4 year olds.. it's just annoying!
FIA? well the Series is pretty much owned by Bernie and FOM.. so y'know.. :P

Well, I still want to be doing Single seaters, but unless I get some kind of miracle it's not going to be possible, it's way to expensive to be competitve. To be honest this is my first year of really competitive racing, and unfortunately it's going to be my last, our budget had to give sometime.. and it's gone.. End of the season.. Then if I do get into Myerscough College to do Motorsport Management.. then I'll be paying for racing on my own (no parents), and I'll be running a 2 year old kart.. so if I can win in that at club level some people might take note.. but I doubt it.

Myerscough have 2 Formula Fords and various rally cars, but unfortunately for me it's only staff and Paying drivers that get to race, so it looks like I'm snookered there, but I'll try my best to show them I could do the trick.. or at least talk to a few other teams in the paddock while I'm there..

BTCC is a great series and I definately wouldn't turn it down, but to get there you still really need to be doing single seaters to be noticed anywhere..

For me anyway it's sooooo unlikely I'll make it anywhere now.. not when theres kids at 13 and 14 being sponsored by Red Bull.. and theres even some companies taking risks on 4 year olds.. it's just annoying!

I meant at Knockhill this year. Sorry I didn't word it clearly.

If you can, can you get me any contacts with FOM and Bernie, maybe your series is needing a young Journalist apprentice ;)

Man I hope you do get noticed, certainly if finances are stopping you competing at this level from the end of the year onwards. You seem to have alot of potential, but have been robbed by some bad luck.
Ahh, I see :P When is it? if It's August (which I think it is) and it's not the 3rd weekend of the month.. Count me in :P

Another Journo? That's my backup! :P

:rofl: Damn
This Month is going to be fantastic!

I was helping my mate in Wales last weekend, and we got a 4th place finish, despite a cracked chassis for the Sunday! I also got to talking to a team down there who I'm hopefully going to be making the switch to next year (and hopefully test with them next month) which should be great, as the team work much better together and are definately producing the results at the moment.

This weekend I'm heading off to Crail for the Scottish Open, however I'll be marshalling instead! Should be good, three days action, and at least 90 quid coming my way! Easy money - and that should mean almost enough for Monza :P A bit of a shame though, I would have been competing if the ASKC hadn't blocked my entry - A bit stupid that only certain people can enter the Scottish OPEN, anyone can enter the British and Welsh OPEN, so what is the difference?!

Then, next weekend, it's going to be the highlight of my karting career, I'm heading over to Belgium for rounds 6 and 7 of the FKS British Championship! The atmosphere is going to be incredible, I'm leaving on Tuesday morning and returing on the following Monday.. A long trip, but hopefully it'll be worth it and we can come away with a good result.
Sounds as if things are starting to happen for you Sam :thumbup: ! Looking forward to your report and some pics from Belgium.

Gregg

See our F1 related articles too!