FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By darwin dali
F1 veteran David Coulthard has refused to back McLaren's insistence that the team always treats both its drivers equally.

Amid Fernando Alonso's suspicions of favouritism towards his British team-mate Lewis Hamilton this year, Coulthard admits that he also experienced moments of second-rate treatment throughout his McLaren tenure in 1996-2004.

Coulthard, who now drives for Red Bull, said he discovered as early as his first race for the Woking based team that boss Ron Dennis cared more about team-mate Mika Hakkinen.

"The first sign that there might be specific favouritism towards Mika came in Melbourne 1996," the Scot wrote in his autobiography It Is What It Is.

"I was with my race engineer and Mika was chatting to his.

"The door opened and Ron walked in. I stood up to shake his hand and Ron ignored me.

Instead he strode over to sit next to Mika and said, 'What's the plan (for the race), guys?' We all listened to Mika's plans and then Ron said, 'Okay, what are they doing?'

"Here was my team principal talking about me as if I was a rival team. 'They' is not a word you use in a team situation, surely?

"At that exact moment, I think the naivety, the innocence of my youth, shattered around me," Coulthard added.
By certom
i love this man, i propose to put him under naphthalene and preserve him from old age
By piledriver
DC is a very good F1-driver imo. Everytime he's in the car he tries to get the max out of it imo. But he never shall be a world champion because he's too polite I think. I hope he stays another few years in F1 because he's one of the best.
By McLaren Fan
This story was posted a while back on this forum. I don't feel I need to add or retract anything since. :roll:

EDIT: Strange. Apparently DD posted this at the end of the October, which fits in roughly with the timescale, but where have all the replies gone? :?:

See our F1 related articles too!