FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Just as it says...
By saz17
Just a quick question (s).

Why are there no prominent women in f1 (or motorsport in general)?

I have always wondered?

Do you think there ever could be one?

Whats folks views on why the ladies do not seem to be involved (apart from stripping off and sprawling on cars)?

It might be a daft question but are there any reasons behind it (and some women can drive and very well before someone comes out with that one lol).
By Ruby
Just a quick question (s).

Why are there no prominent women in f1 (or motorsport in general)?

I have always wondered?

Do you think there ever could be one?

Whats folks views on why the ladies do not seem to be involved (apart from stripping off and sprawling on cars)?

It might be a daft question but are there any reasons behind it (and some women can drive and very well before someone comes out with that one lol).

The men won't consider allowing us in. If we were in F1 there's a chance we may beat them, and they refuse to even consider the possiblility of this happening :D

Seriously though, maybe there are some who've tried and never got there, for differing reasons.... one may be that a woman would never be taken seriously. And I have to say (despite being a woman) that I'm not majorly surprised. As you say Saz, all women in F1 do is dress in as little as possible and willingly consent to being drivers' bitches, I wouldn't expect to be taken seriously. There's always a few who destroy it for the rest :D

A woman in F1 would have to be a total hardnut to succeed.
By darwin dali
There have been some women drivers in the past (see list posted by H2nd07).
There have always been claims that the upper body strength in women is not sufficient - I don't buy it. It probably has more to do with socio-economic reasons and the image of F1 being an all-men's club in the old days with the fast and furious boys. Women though more and more get involved in F1 not as drivers or pit babes, but in all kinds of functions with the teams.
Eventually, there will be another woman driver again - I'm sure.
By texasmr2
There have been some women drivers in the past (see list posted by H2nd07).
There have always been claims that the upper body strength in women is not sufficient - I don't buy it. It probably has more to do with socio-economic reasons and the image of F1 being an all-men's club in the old days with the fast and furious boys. Women though more and more get involved in F1 not as drivers or pit babes, but in all kinds of functions with the teams.
Eventually, there will be another woman driver again - I'm sure.

I knew if I waited long enough you would find the proper way to say what I wanted to say but couldn't, thank's :wink: !!!
By saz17
If only i had the money lol!!
By Ruby
Same here Saz! However we'd prob end up looking a bit masculine with all the training involved....oh well.
By saz17
its a risk i would be prepared to take!
By Ruby
Yes you're right, sack it :D
By Selcouth_Feline
socio-economic reasons .

I think this is a big part of it. How many girls want to kart when they are little? How many parents would put karting high up on an agenda for their girl, over and above more girly things like dance lessons or horse-riding? Not that many...and if you haven't got many girsl in the sport, it will be harder to find one with the talent.
By darwin dali
Same here Saz! However we'd prob end up looking a bit masculine with all the training involved....oh well.

Yeah, those big necks couldn't handle delicate necklaces anymore :P
By texasmr2
Danica Patrick still look's pretty darn fine to me and she has been racing for year's so I doubt either of you would lose any of your feminin quality's :wink: .
By saz17
i cant see Ron Dennis signing me though, i doubt my experience driving my Nissan around town, will get him all hot under the collar lol!!
By bud
there is a woman who is the head on the pitwall for A1GP Team GBR

See our F1 related articles too!