FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Just as it says...
By texasmr2
For my 45th birthday I'm going to try and buy myself a Ferrari but 308's, 328's and even Mondial's will be in the $50K range so I have an idea! I can buy a 400i with a V12 but they are known to be pretty unreliable without alot of investment so I have an idea? Buy the 400i and pull the engine, strip it of all the smog stuff, install a standalone ecu such as a Motec EMS and drop it into a different vehicle? I will no doubt keep the 400i complete for a possible engine re-install at a later date?

What say you,
Gregg
By certom
i'd say....what's a 400i???
By Stephen
I think you have to now that Ferrari have secured both Championships! ;)

I could be tempted to get a Ferrari and drive down to Monza next year for the GP! :D
By Selcouth_Feline
I haven't a clue about the technicalities however it sounds like an excellent plan in theory!!

I'm sorely tempted to get something like a 246 Dino but they are a little out of my price range and I worry about the running costs on such an old car!
By texasmr2
A 246 Dino is now in the $100K range WAY out of my price range but I do LOVE them. Actually the 'technical' aspect is the simplest part of my so called plan. That's what's so great about standalone EMS's which I am no stranger too but what excite's me is I could actually OWN a Ferrari AND a Ferrari V12 for around $20K!!

Another VERY exciting aspect of this goal is if I get the position I currently shooting for I can have the $20K saved within 6 month's of starting the job!!!!
By texasmr2
i'd say....what's a 400i???

Considered to be the lesser-known front-engined 2+2 coupes, the Ferrari 400 and 412 began production in 1976. First introduced in 1976, the Ferrari 400i lasted until 1984. A total of 507 of the Ferrari 400i were produced and introduced at the Paris Show in 1972. The body style was coupe and had a 4.8 L FI V12 engine.

At first, the chisel-edged Pininfarina shape was showcased as the 365 GT4 2+2 with a four-cam 4.4-litre V12 with a five-speed manual gearbox only. A short lived variant, the 365 was a 150 mph 4-seater that was replaced in 1976 by the 400GT.

In 1979 the 400i came with Bosch injection to enhance smoothness though it robbed the V12 of 30 bhp. The Bosch K-Jetronic fuel injection replaced the carburetors on the 400. The emissions were much improved but the power was down substantially.

1985 introduced the 412 the last of the 400 line and considered to be the best model lasted until 1989. Improved with an increase in displacement to 4943 cc, the newest 400, now came with ABS.

The most civilized Ferrari of its generation, they were the first models to offer automatic transmission. Introduced in 1976 at the Paris Motor Show, the 400 Automatic (or 400A) offered a 3-speed unit from General Motors.

The engine was based on the Daytona, was a 4.8 L (4823 cc) V12 that was capable of producing 340 hp. It carried the traditional GT car layout with driving rear wheels mounted in front.

Only 147 models were five-speed manuals which showed the direction that the market was heading.

By certom
:shock::shock::shock::o:o:o I'm...I am sorry I didn't remember the name of a Ferrari!!!!!!!!!! Aaaaarrrrgggh years of studies thrown away in this way :(:(:(
By certom
that sound makes me horny :lol:
By darwin dali
that sound makes me horny :lol:

Ah, those prepubescent boys are so turbo-charged :D
By madbrad
A 308 or 328 would be cheaper to maintain.

You can get an early(I mean early second gen, 85 - on) Testa Rossa for pretty cheap but simple maintenance is outside the stratosphere for the middle class. The platinum plugs are over $20 eqch, and there are 12 of them. I'm sure the wires are no cheaper. Just an example for you. Batteries and alternators die. I don't even want toknow how much a reman alternator for any Ferrari engine would cost. Then there's clutch replacement. I don't think just any shop can do it, and it's can't be cheap. Brakes? That sounds expensive too.

If you have to bear the expense of maintaining a Ferrari, I would get a Magnum PI car.

Steve Matchett started his career as a mechanic apprentice in a Ferrari dealer. He can fix them. Give him a call.
By texasmr2
The 3 serie's is what I really want. Are far as the maintenance cost you are correct but I have learned over the year's from owner's is that alot if not most of the basic maintenance part's ie alternator's, spark plug's, batterie's etc etc can be purchased are your local autopart's store.

I'm a pretty handy mechanic myself having done 90% of all maintenace on all four of the MR2's I owned and my SC300. Basically the car will not be my daily driver and can sit until the money is saved for a repair I cannot do myself. I'm also very fortunate to know and too have worked with about 10 ASE certified mechanic's who will help me for no more than the cost of beer and barbeque :D .
By madbrad
I just assumed I could not drop in Canadian Tire and ask for an alternator for a Testa Rossa, and if I could that it would be nowhere near as cheap as an alternator for a 98 Chevy Lumina.
I too do all my own work of that sort, but again I assumed the layout on a TR for example is so different that access could possibly be impossible, because sometimes the more unusual cars such as V12 or flat 12 Ferraris etc require heroic measures such as complete engine removal to change things like alternators, water pumps, timing belts, starters, etc.
By certom
a 308 GTS as Magnum PI's one...maybe to drive on the hawaiian streets with a ***** on the right seat :D
By bud
just buy a fiat, its cheaper and rebadge it as Ferrari

See our F1 related articles too!