Prost
1%
Schumacher
33%
Mansell
6%
Fangio
9%
Fangio was famous for only going as fast as he needed to so I don't really consider him one of the super fast drivers.

You know, as great of driver as Fangio was, I kinda take away from him the fact that whenever his car broke down he just took over his teammates' car. I'm pretty sure Prost, Senna, Schumi, etc. would've had more titles if they just jumped into their teammates' car. Thats off-topic, I know, but I'm just wondering if anybody else thinks the same.

Well, that's only the same as team-orders I guess, in that it was well-within the rules back in the day.
Fangio was famous for only going as fast as he needed to so I don't really consider him one of the super fast drivers.

You know, as great of driver as Fangio was, I kinda take away from him the fact that whenever his car broke down he just took over his teammates' car. I'm pretty sure Prost, Senna, Schumi, etc. would've had more titles if they just jumped into their teammates' car. Thats off-topic, I know, but I'm just wondering if anybody else thinks the same.

I think there was at least one occasion when afterr looking at the telemetry Schumacher decided to take Barrichellos car.

I think there was at least one occasion when afterr looking at the telemetry Schumacher decided to take Barrichellos car.

And Irvine's, I believe. But that was slightly different (I'm not saying better or worse) to what Fangio did, which was take over his team-mate's car mid-race should his own car be unable to continue the race.
By scotty

And Irvine's, I believe. But that was slightly different (I'm not saying better or worse) to what Fangio did, which was take over his team-mate's car mid-race should his own car be unable to continue the race.

Related story - When Prost and Mansell were at Ferrari (at Silverstone 1990), Prost took Mansell's car without informing him, and the team denied it too - ridiculous! So what did Mansell do? Went out in Prost's car, stuck it on pole and in the race drove off into the distance until his gearbox went!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: One reason why i dislike Prost and appreciate Mansell so much. :)
Related story - When Prost and Mansell were at Ferrari (at Silverstone 1990), Prost took Mansell's car without informing him, and the team denied it too - ridiculous! So what did Mansell do? Went out in Prost's car, stuck it on pole and in the race drove off into the distance until his gearbox went!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: One reason why i dislike Prost and appreciate Mansell so much. :)

One of the reasons why whilst Prost was known as the "Professor", I referred to him as the "policitian", and doubly so when Prost managed to force Mansell out of Williams for 1993, block Senna from getting a drive and stop Damon Hill being allowed to challenge him for the title.
By scotty

One of the reasons why whilst Prost was known as the "Professor", I referred to him as the "policitian", and doubly so when Prost managed to force Mansell out of Williams for 1993, block Senna from getting a drive and stop Damon Hill being allowed to challenge him for the title.

Le Politicien then? Yup, that'd be appropriate. :hehe: If i could make up my own personal nickname for him it'd be Le Morceau de Merde! :twisted:
Raw Speed! Consider the equipment over the years. Ascari and Moss. Jim Cark and Ronnie Peterson. Schumacher, Hakkinen and Raikonnen. Senna was among the top qualifers along with Fangio and Clark, but I'd probably have to go with Schumacher, Clark and Fangio. The reason being that they could get closer to their pole speed during the race than Senna could. In practice and qualifying Senna was stunning, but he rarely topped the time sheets during the race when the pressure was on. Schumacher, Clark, Prost and Fangio were all capable of turning the fastest lap on a regular basis in race trim. Senna seemed lacking in that respect.
It depends whether you prioritise quali pace over race pace. In my mind being fast on a single lap with low fuel is an entirely different skill to being able to sustain relentless race pace. Schumacher and Raikkonen are amongst the very best of all time in this respect imo along with the likes of Stewart and Clark. Fangio never even crosses my mind as a fast driver because he always drove within himself and did the minimum possible to win but his win at the German GP in 1957 demonstrates he had speed in his pocket and knew how to sustain it.

For on race pace, MS is my pick but i'd still rate Senna, Bellof and Gilles as my top three ultimate fast drivers based on the fact that on occasion they were in a league of their own in terms of raw speed, maybe not all the time but in flashes
Umm, there's different kinds of fast... I think really the question of who is the fastest has to be about fastest over a single lap.

Firstly, of the five here I'd immediately rule out two: Schumacher and Prost. They were successfull because they were consistently able to lap close to the limit, but what we're talking about is lapping AT the limit, and in that situation I think they were both slightly weaker than some of their peers. I've always thought that in the late 90s and early 00s Hakkinen actually had the edge in terms of outright speed, and if 1988 and 1989 are anything to go by, in equal equipment Senna thrashed Prost 28-4 in qualifying.

Mansell is also probably out, although he did on occasion produce some really perfect laps, notably Monaco 1987.

So that leaves Fangio and Senna, although I'd also include Jim Clark.

I think the problem is that there's two very different driving styles here. Neither Fangio nor Clark had access to telemetry data, so they were like artists who just went out and did their thing on instinct.

Senna was much more premeditated, much more calculated and clinical, as he worked out where the time was available and how he had to drive in each section to eke out the last few tenths.

Ultimately though, I think it's far too easy to say Senna so I'm going to plump for Fangio. He qualified in the top two on 42 occasions out of 52 starts, and it's not as if his fellow competitors just let him. Senna may have a more fearsome reputation, but I think the stopwatch would favour Fangio.
It's hard to compare drivers from different generations, the only drivers we can directly compare are Senna, Prost and Mansell as they all drove at the same time. I would probably go for Juan Manuel Fangio as he was fearless, something that modern day F1 drivers simply don't have, you needed to have balls of steel to race back in Fangio's day unless modern day F1 where the chance of dying is remote unlike the 1940s/50s.
It's hard to compare drivers from different generations, the only drivers we can directly compare are Senna, Prost and Mansell as they all drove at the same time. I would probably go for Juan Manuel Fangio as he was fearless, something that modern day F1 drivers simply don't have, you needed to have balls of steel to race back in Fangio's day unless modern day F1 where the chance of dying is remote unlike the 1940s/50s.

MS drove alongside AS.
By scotty

MS drove alongside AS.

Prost too, but it's still tough to compare them directly given the circumstances, ie seeing them competing directly in top cars, how they faired directly in the prime of their careers, etc etc...
By EwanM

MS drove alongside AS.

Prost too, but it's still tough to compare them directly given the circumstances, ie seeing them competing directly in top cars, how they faired directly in the prime of their careers, etc etc...

Couldn't agree more. Despite overlap, comparisons are futile. Take Jim Clark, when he started out Sir Stirling Moss was still racing. However you would consider them both from different eras of the sport.
By Amanda
Senna, although I'll admit I don't know enough about Fangio to be a fair judge.

See our F1 related articles too!